“Friendship Inn? Not So Friendly...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Friendship Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Diego
Friendship Hotel
You added Friendship Hotel to your Saves list
3942 Eighth Ave., San Diego, CA 92103   |
Ranked #238 of 273 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego, California, United States
“Friendship Inn? Not So Friendly...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

BEDBUGS. Need I say more? No, not really. But I will: Just like you, Weary of this place thanks to the numerous reviews posted along the net, how absolutely filthy this “business” is. It wasn’t my first choice, believe you me, but with finances real tight, being it towards the end of the month, I had a choice between this or the homeless shelter. I should have gone with the homeless shelter, where it’s not as dirty.
When my partner and I first set foot in our room, I immediately began to disinfect with the Clorox Bleach Wipes I had brought. However, they were no match for the filth and grime that has been built up for years and years. The smell of the hotel is reminiscent of sweaty gym socks stuffed with week old off-brand macaroni and cheese, and condensed cigarette smoke, and at nighttime it reeks of burning forest of pine-trees if you know what I mean. The size of the room was a bit smaller than average for a hotel/motel room, with a walk-in closet and a a very small bathroom thing that was missing a toilet, so it was just a sink and some giant creepy pipes. There was a sign posted on the door right outside of our door that read: “NO DOGS ALLOWED.” Yet, at 4:30 prompt, when the worker here clocked-out for the day and headed home, the place sounded something like The Humane Society on a hot day. Dogs barking at each other, nonstop without a second to breathe, from separate rooms down the hall. Had I known this, I would have never checked in, let alone paid the weekly rate in advance, and now it was too late. Welcome to Hell. I was abruptly made aware of their “no refund policy” on the 5th day when I approached the front counter with bedbug bites all over my arms, hands, legs, etc, and with a Ziploc baggy with a couple of Live bedugs still kicking and fighting.
Amanda, a “manager,” said that she didn’t care to see the bugs however, and said that tho she believes me, turned immediately defensive saying exclaiming that “there has never been an issue with bedbugs. In THIS building.” Oh ok then! Lol. When I asked her, “so what do you plan to do about this?” She explained that since it was “Saturday, so Monday the earliest, they would come out and spray your room down.” And at that point my girlfriend and I would have to pull all of our belongings away from the walls so they could spray pesticides all over the floors and walls, and we would have to evacuate our room for 4-5 HOURS, but hey, it’ll take that time and more to Wash and Dry every article of clothing we own. (I had a problem with bedbugs about years ago in an Apartment back in Detroit; They destroyed my life. I had to throw away all of my furniture, mattresses, paid hundreds and hundreds of dollars for an exterminator that didn’t even work, etc) so THIS IS A BIG DEAL.
After I had made her aware of all of this, including the fact that I couldn’t even get my girlfriend to fall asleep in that bed last night until 4:30 AM, and again asked what would they do to fix the issue and even mentioned giving us a a free night or 2 or a refund, I dunno, SOMETHING, ANYTHING, she said the best they could do is, “refund you your money that you gave us for the 2 days that you paid for that you haven’t used yet. And even that I’m going out of the way to do because you signed a paper saying you acknowledge our No Refund Policy.) I said back, “well sometimes refunds need to be given and rules need to be bent, especially in cases like THIS. I could go to a McDonalds and if they mess up my Cheeseburger and if I complain, they will sincerely apologize upfront and proceed to remake my order and a coupon for my next meal is on them.” That’s “good customer service” because it says “we care about the customer.” I walked away from the counter in shock, appalled at their customer service, their attitude (there were a few other things throughout my stay where they once again, had nothing but terrible attitudes) and the worst part was is that I walked away feeling LIKE I DID SOMETHING WRONG..?!? She had ended our “conversation” with a stern, take it-or-leave-it recap of my 2 CHOICES: Take the 50 bucks I had given them for the next 2 days and leave, or go back to the exact same room and wait until the exterminators come on Monday. The last thing she said was the ol’, “ya know, As a business, we can’t just GIVE Away free stuff, or we wouldn’t we wouldn’t be a business.” (NOTE: This place is NOT a small business by any means; It is several BUILDINGS, with plenty of occupants, and it’s not like it’s some kind of startup business, because it’s been around since the early 1900’s!)
So this tidbit of advice is for the “managers” of this “business”: Congrats, you saved “the company” 50 dollars. But the Long run you are going to lose Hundreds, Thousands, perhaps Tens of Thousands of Dollars over time, from potential “customers” who come across on The Internet, REVIEWS LIKE THIS, and they say, “Well, We’re Definitely NOT GOING THERE!!! Whew!” (for even more information, please see MY PICTURES for an honest LOOK at “THE BUSINESS.”) Thank you for reading. PS- If you are on a tight budget and need somewhere to stay here in San Diego, may I suggest looking into a Hostel. There are many in and around the downtown area. I recommend Lucky D’s for a really unique/fun time for young adults, OR also in Downtown, Hosteling International for fellow backpackers looking a good, clean place to crash. All of which have rooms for/about $25.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

A nightmare from the start. the first day I checked and I was rudely yelled at by the manager about parking across the street because I just arrived in town I shook it off. for the price the conditions and the smell was expected but after a few days of being here I realize it's 25 dollars a night was too expensive for what I had to undergo. first off there are bed bugs as of august 19th 2012 if the pile of infested mattresses behind the building isn't enough evidence look at how many mattresses are covered in plastic walk through 1 of the shared bathrooms bed bugs are always calling on the walls and the manager does know about the infestations but refuses to let anyone know as he runs around replacing beds and ripping up carpet to hide the fact that there are bed bugs( I have pictures of this) the walls seem to crumble as some sort of water damage have completely overcome them.( I have pictures and video) the building is filled with drug attics not to mention the manager who is also 1 of those people. And I know for a fact of 2 residence that sells crack and speed right out of the hotel because ive been stoped and offered some. I've had my door beat on by this manager at 7 o'clock in the morning and at 1 o'clock at night because he's he's looking for information for his personal needs. I've gone to the bathroom numerous times to find human feces in the shower blood on the floor there's a drawer that had dead roatches in it since I've moved in and and It's have never been cleaned and mold growing in the showers with the dirty rusty shower rods and nasty filthy curtains. ( I also have pictures of all of this) and I could go on forever with the nasty manager the nasty rooms in the nasty bed bugs the roaches werent even my biggest problem. these things that I see today people were complaining about them from 2009 2010 and 2011 obviously the owner doesn't care and long as there's crackheads and tourist that don't have the right info they will remain in business. The health department should shut this place down and I will provide any information that will help them do this

• Stayed August 2012
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

so, I have now been here almost two weeks. Here is EXACTLY what I have gone through. The first night I was here, I was sleeping and my bed fell through the floor. I wrote a review, the next day they came and moved me to an "upgraded room" which actually had a bathroom but the mold was so bad on the shower curtain I could not breathe, so I went and got some bleach and cleaned it off. I stayed in that room until the next week, then they moved me back to the room after they fixed the floor. The smell that comes from this room is only what I can describe as a "dog dying of cancer". The carpet is most likely the ORIGINAL carpeting and has water damage on the sides (probably because the bathroom is directly on the other side of the wall). I have woken up to cockroaches crawling on my bed as well as bedbugs (which I have pictures of) and now I have to find a way to spray all my clothes and luggage when I move out. I have been here two weeks and am HIGHLY glad I am leaving on tuesday. I do however feel sorry for people that have nowhere else to go and have to stay here because in the two weeks I have been here, I have developed pnemonia. My fridge has gone out and spoiled the little amount of food that I am able to keep in my fridge and I fear everyday I have left waking up to bedbug bites or cockroaches crawling in my ears and laying eggs in me while I sleep. I wish i had a review telling it all before moving here because I would have moved straight into a homeless shelter before wasting 175/week to live here. I also think the staff should have been straight forward in letting me know of possible bedbug contamination and cockroach problems. It is obvious they are aware because there are roach baits in both of the rooms that I have been in. Shame on you for not bieng honest with me from the get go. I also looked the place up on the BBB, got the registered owners name and facebooked him on the problems I am going through and have not had a response. This is what I have gone through

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

You have to have an earring and look all casual and sloppy to get in. don't show up all dressed up and looking proffesional and being courteous, because they will acccomidate someone who inquired after you first. it seems you have to look like a bum to get in there. It looks llike a dump from outside and it has bed bugs. I met up with the owner in the parking lot and he is a real peice of work.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2010

If you're idea of a temporary place to stay is the Westin or Oakwood Corporate Suites, do not go here.
This is $29 bucks a week walk in - no reservations, no cheery staff ( would you be at these prices?) and bare bones sleep & shower place (shared bathrooms).
They used to allow people with dogs i don't know if that's changed. Not a lot of pet places available at this price in such a nice 'hood.

Never had a bed bug problem but if you are the least bit cognizant of this is do the customary check over before handing over the cash. IF it's busy you might lose out but remain FIRM on this point.

It beats the HOSTEL alternative.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2007

I was greeted quickly and professionally. Invited to inspect my room first. Beautiful tile at the entry way. Requires a deposit. Very inexpensive. No private bathrooms, may have to wait. No parking available-street parking only. Can't beat the price, nice t.v., free HBO, fridge and microwave, dresser. All the bare essentials. quiet and private. nothing fancy. Drugstore right around the corner. Secure. Nobody can enter without a key to the building and washers available! This is the place to rondevou without wasting time, gas and money!

• Liked — the service
  • Disliked — the room doors are a little raggedy
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2006

Centrally located in Hillcrest, very affordable, professional and friendly staff, secured access for safety, clean, and friendly. My stay was a wonderful and enriching experience. Small rooms but they provide the essentials.

• Stayed July 1999