“BEWARE OF THIS HOTEL” 1 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Diego
Hillcrest Inn Hotel
3754 Fifth Ave., San Diego, CA 92103   |
Ranked #30 of 40 San Diego B&B and Inns
Calironia
“BEWARE OF THIS HOTEL”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2010

I'm a local wanting to just look at the room before I consider staying for three months or more. I was told the room is still occupied but to hold the room the Staff bully you into handing over your credit card once they have done this. They will take the funds out immediately then, they state there's no refund and no cancellation refund. I just lost $903 without staying a night in this hotel. The Owner told me to get off his property. I made the transaction and was informed on everything and it's on the Receipt which it is. It's just the way you get Bullied into it. They were extremely rude and unprofessional. DO NOT GO NEAR THIS HOTEL. You have no recourse. There are better hotel around, with better service. This goes for travelers. Yes, the location is great close to everything but that's about it. BE WARNED. This has been my worst Hotel ever. I've travel all around the world.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

69 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Phoenix
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

I had planned on staying 4 nights but had to leave one night early due to a medical issue. No refund like in most hotels for the last night. Offered a credit but never received anything in writing, it was just to make me go away. Who would want a credit to a place that was so bad you would never want to return. I booked a room with two double beds - got one bed. I booked a nonsmoking room - got a smoking room that really smelled. Room was not clean, comb was left on the floor from before us. Carpet was nasty. Had to leave the window open or otherwise could not stand the smell. Didn't realize it was a place that rented to street people by the week. Bums wandered around the court yard making me feel unsafe. There are plenty of other places much nicer in the same price range. I have never reviewed a hotel before but this was the worst place I have ever stayed. Save your money.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

I stayed here years ago and did not remember it being so bad. I booked it to save money and be in that part of town. The guy on reception was helpful when I said I would arrive after 6 and left the keys for me. The room was dirty, carpet beyond belief, the room smelt and was freezing. There was some nefarious character wandering round saying could he come into my room to use the toilet - NO WAY JOSE!.We did not stay and went to the Marriott down on the Boardwalk only 2 miles away, harbour views and for under $150 a night - what a relief.

To his credit the owner did say next day he would charge me for one night only despite my forthright explanation to him of what I thought of his awful establishment.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Miami Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

I stayed at the hillcrest inn for two weeks in Aug while in San Diego. I cant seem to understand why all that horrible reviews because my stay here was very pleasent. My room was very clean and I had constant maid service every other day. The sheets were clean soft and comfortble, bathroom was very clean and spotless. I had 23 hour wifi service. The room had a small fridge that I appreciated because I kept water, beverages, fruits, etc and it was very convenient for me. Before my stayed there I was a littel afraid of the parking situation but I found parking everywhere especialy after 6pm when the parking meters are free. This inn is centraly located in the heart of Hillcrest where you can find all types of inexpensive restaraunts and bars. I would like to thank the two gentleman that were always very friendly and helpful with my needs and questions. Coming from Miami Beach the quality and service and price was excellent. I can defenitly feel comfortable that i have a great place to stay at a great price next time I go too San Diego.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

This overpriced flop house bills itself as a "gay hotel", but in reality it is a real dump. Staff is rude, the owner is a greedy bully, and there are yes>>>>BED BUGS!!...UGHHH. I had a couple of them crawling all over me before I decided to check out two days early. At first they would not refund my money until I threatened to sue. This place is the Nightmare on 5th Avenue in San Diego...stay clear of this dive.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

Great Location. Owner is a complete bully and an [--]. Furniture is cardboard, staff is rude and extremely unprofessional. Their continental breakfast is a joke - coffee and stale rolls if you are lucky! The upside is it forced us to look elsewhere. I now stay at the Sommerset Suites four blocks away. It is cheaper, closer to nightlife and many, many more ammenities for your money (pool, hot tube, private balcony, huge breakfast room, on-site parking). Take my advice avoid this place at all costs!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
LA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

Attention please. What a mistake, this is a small HELL located on Earth, avoid it!!!
Read the reviews, I was unfortunate to go there without reading reviews.
Me and my wife went from LA to San Diego to have a baby in a clinic located close to this "hotel". After delivery I took my wife and my newborn son (my boy wasn't even 1 day old) to this "hotel". Dirty room smells like sh... NO blanket, just bed cover....
79 dollars for room and 12 dollars for parking. I woke up in the morning and when I took my things to the car I saw my car vandalized, the window was broken and glass was everywhere . Someone withe screwdriver damage the frame, door and broke the window. Here we go, I was stuck with my wife and newborn boy. management told me that I paid $12 to park my car and I did park the car so they don't care and no responsibility. Anyway after finding out that I cant fix this window in San Diego I did cover with plastic from Home depot and we headed to clinic where we had a appointment. The same day we drove to LA. After 2 days I was checking my American express activity's online. 2 transactions, one for room and parking 99.30 and one for 85. I call the guy, the guy who don't care, who tells you that's not his problem, you know what he answered me? He said "Look!!! I found dirty towels, 4 of them, they were covered with blood, i don't know who's blood is this, that's why I charge you".

GOD will punish him. I did one big mistake which cost me 550 dollars and a lot of nerves. So I paid 185 for a "room" that smells like (-).... and my car was vandalized by whom???? I am not sure? I wonder how he can live like that.
Somehow this guy must justify his actions just for his self. I wonder how he does that.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hillcrest Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!