“avoid at all costs - a complete false economy. Possibly a health risk!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hillcrest Inn Hotel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Diego
Hillcrest Inn Hotel
You added Hillcrest Inn Hotel to your Saves list
3754 Fifth Ave., San Diego, CA 92103   |
Ranked #29 of 39 San Diego B&B and Inns
London
“avoid at all costs - a complete false economy. Possibly a health risk!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2009

I stayed here years ago and did not remember it being so bad. I booked it to save money and be in that part of town. The guy on reception was helpful when I said I would arrive after 6 and left the keys for me. The room was dirty, carpet beyond belief, the room smelt and was freezing. There was some nefarious character wandering round saying could he come into my room to use the toilet - NO WAY JOSE!.We did not stay and went to the Marriott down on the Boardwalk only 2 miles away, harbour views and for under $150 a night - what a relief.

To his credit the owner did say next day he would charge me for one night only despite my forthright explanation to him of what I thought of his awful establishment.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo

Families
Miami Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

I stayed at the hillcrest inn for two weeks in Aug while in San Diego. I cant seem to understand why all that horrible reviews because my stay here was very pleasent. My room was very clean and I had constant maid service every other day. The sheets were clean soft and comfortble, bathroom was very clean and spotless. I had 23 hour wifi service. The room had a small fridge that I appreciated because I kept water, beverages, fruits, etc and it was very convenient for me. Before my stayed there I was a littel afraid of the parking situation but I found parking everywhere especialy after 6pm when the parking meters are free. This inn is centraly located in the heart of Hillcrest where you can find all types of inexpensive restaraunts and bars. I would like to thank the two gentleman that were always very friendly and helpful with my needs and questions. Coming from Miami Beach the quality and service and price was excellent. I can defenitly feel comfortable that i have a great place to stay at a great price next time I go too San Diego.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

This overpriced flop house bills itself as a "gay hotel", but in reality it is a real dump. Staff is rude, the owner is a greedy bully, and there are yes>>>>BED BUGS!!...UGHHH. I had a couple of them crawling all over me before I decided to check out two days early. At first they would not refund my money until I threatened to sue. This place is the Nightmare on 5th Avenue in San Diego...stay clear of this dive.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

Great Location. Owner is a complete bully and an [--]. Furniture is cardboard, staff is rude and extremely unprofessional. Their continental breakfast is a joke - coffee and stale rolls if you are lucky! The upside is it forced us to look elsewhere. I now stay at the Sommerset Suites four blocks away. It is cheaper, closer to nightlife and many, many more ammenities for your money (pool, hot tube, private balcony, huge breakfast room, on-site parking). Take my advice avoid this place at all costs!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
LA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

Attention please. What a mistake, this is a small HELL located on Earth, avoid it!!!
Read the reviews, I was unfortunate to go there without reading reviews.
Me and my wife went from LA to San Diego to have a baby in a clinic located close to this "hotel". After delivery I took my wife and my newborn son (my boy wasn't even 1 day old) to this "hotel". Dirty room smells like sh... NO blanket, just bed cover....
79 dollars for room and 12 dollars for parking. I woke up in the morning and when I took my things to the car I saw my car vandalized, the window was broken and glass was everywhere . Someone withe screwdriver damage the frame, door and broke the window. Here we go, I was stuck with my wife and newborn boy. management told me that I paid $12 to park my car and I did park the car so they don't care and no responsibility. Anyway after finding out that I cant fix this window in San Diego I did cover with plastic from Home depot and we headed to clinic where we had a appointment. The same day we drove to LA. After 2 days I was checking my American express activity's online. 2 transactions, one for room and parking 99.30 and one for 85. I call the guy, the guy who don't care, who tells you that's not his problem, you know what he answered me? He said "Look!!! I found dirty towels, 4 of them, they were covered with blood, i don't know who's blood is this, that's why I charge you".

GOD will punish him. I did one big mistake which cost me 550 dollars and a lot of nerves. So I paid 185 for a "room" that smells like (-).... and my car was vandalized by whom???? I am not sure? I wonder how he can live like that.
Somehow this guy must justify his actions just for his self. I wonder how he does that.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2008

I was in the middle of a move and needed to find a hotel to stay at for myself and 2 dogs. They except pets so that is one reason I chose this hotel and its located in a great location. This is the only good thing about this dump. I paid a week ahead of time for a room with a patio. When I arived they basically put me in thier broom closet with no patio. I had hardly any light and the carpet was so stained and dirty I didnt feel comfortable to take my shoes off. I asked them to steam clean the carpets and they rudely told me to take a hike. This room was so dirty I had to buy my own cleaning supplys and clean it myself. The heat didnt work and when I let them know they gave me a broken space heater. When I checked out I forgot a sweater behind. I called 2 days later when I noticed. Ofcourse it had magically disapeared and cant be found. If they need a sweater that bad I say go buy your own own and dont steal from your guests. I really liked that sweater and thats what encouraged me to write this review. To sum up my experience I would say never stay at the hillcrest Inn. The staff were so rude and the hotel room was filthy.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — rude service
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2008

This place is a dirty bathhouse masquarading as a hotel. Rude staff, unclean premises and a lot of sordid activity going on all around.

Save your money, time and sensibilities and stay anywhere else.

• Liked — Location.
  • Disliked — Everything else. Truthfully this is an archetype for all that there is not to like about an accomodation.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hillcrest Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!