“Never Again” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7444 Mission Valley Road, San Diego, CA 92108 (Formerly Extended Stay America - San Diego - Mission Valley) (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #211 of 270 hotels in San Diego
Spring City, Utah
“Never Again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My son had reserved this hotel in March for our family reunion, asking that the rooms would be grouped together. When we arrived in August, the rooms were all apart and also in separate buildings. The bed creaked so badly that each time my husband turned, I woke up. The reclining chair's footrest wouldn't stay up, so it was of no use and there were insufficient towels for the two of us. (I guess we were supposed to share.) I also heard that my son was overcharged.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

70 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
San Bernardino, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I reserved 6 rooms for 2 nights and requested that they please be grouped together back in March. Upon check in, none of the rooms were near each other and we were in different buildings on the opposite ends of the 3 buildings. I was also over billed. I had talked with the night clerk before I checked out to double check the billing for each room and upon leaving the office I thought we had worked it out. Only to check my credit card statement and find that I was over charged for the room we had specifically discussed. The refrigerator was SO noisy it kept us up the entire first night. The second night we moved our food into another room and had to unplug the refrigerator for the last night. The bed was SO hard and loud that between the bed and the noisy fridge, sleep was almost nonexistent both nights. The curtain in one room smelled like urine. In another room the air conditioning didn't work and the window didn't lock so we couldn't leave our belongings in there for fear of the room being broken into. Towels weren't adequately supplied for the four person room. The beds in the rooms need to be updated and a fitted sheet needs to be used on ALL beds, not just some. The refrigerator in the handicap room blocked the bathroom door from being opened all the way so the wheelchair could access the bathroom. In another room the refrigerator door swung the wrong way and you had to stand between the refrigerator door and the bathroom door. Blocking whom ever was in the bathroom from coming out. The fruit at the grab and go breakfast was moldy and the other options were limited. Overall the group was dissatisfied and disappointed with this hotel experience.

Room Tip: There is an Extended Stay off of Hotel Circle that we also visited before making our choice. We chos...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Chandler, AZ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

For almost $200 night hotel--the room was filthy. There were cobwebs in the pantry and cabinets. The floor had crumbs in it, an indication that it has not been cleaned thoroughly after its last occupants. Our towels and the counters were all dusty. Costumer service was just as bad, the hotelier on the counter said that they'll have someone call me to fix the problem, but during our four nights stay in there nobody called to at least offer in vacuuming the room. During checkout, I mentioned the problem again, and all the man could say was, "my bad..."

The breakfast was horrible. 2 out of the 3 apples I picked were old and rotten. I WILL NOT RECOMMEND this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: The farthest building and rooms's from the lobby smells like pee. The beds were uncomfortable.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

The room was nice, property was clean, a minor issue with my shower head sounding like it was going to fly off when in use and not freeway friendly. But would stay again but not for the price I had to pay due to "comic con" in town that particular weekend. But would reccommend it

Room Tip: Don't have a "high" expectation
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am so glad that you found your room to be comfortable and our property to be clean overall. Still, I apologize that the shower head did not work properly. Our maintenance staff is working to correct this issue so that it would not affect others in the future. We hope you enjoyed Comic Con!

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with another stay the next time you're in the area.
Danbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

efficient and cost-effective, familiar place to stay...... no big frills but not expected either. Have stayed at similar in other states and always been satisfied. For this one you'll need a map to locate but not a problem. Close to Fashion Valley mall, Balboa Park, Hillcrest, PB etc.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
James - Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad that our location was convenient to different establishments in the area, including Fashion Valley Mall and Balboa Park. As well, I am glad that you liked your room.

Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I had a two night stay at the hotel which was on a very good location since it was about 6 miles away from San Diego Zoo and Sea World - the places that I wanted to visit. The room was a bit smaller than the other Extended Stay hotels that I had visited earlier. There were light bulbs missing in two of the lamps and the bathroom door wouldn't lock. Since I was using the hotels just to spend the nights, these things did not really matter. The bed was a bit hard to my liking. The stay could have been better, but that's what you get at the cost I paid.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that our location was perfect for the places you had to visit like SeaWorld and the Zoo. I am sorry you found our beds a bit hard for you and that some bulbs were missing; we will make sure those items are addressed with the staff.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I was kind of scared after reading the reviews and had my daughter check it out first. For us, it was an ideal location, just up the street from where our daughter lives in Mission Valley.

Negatives
Clean Linens and Towels came with stray hairs. Kind of gross.
Mold around the tub caulking. An easy clean, not sure why it is not cleaned.
A little humid in the room.
Maids throw dirty linens over the balcony onto the bushes below. They stayed there most of the day.
Some stains on rugs.
Beds not very supportive.
Pillows- eh... I really like a good pillow. There wasn't much to them.

Positives
Location (for our purposes in Mission Valley)
Front desk staff - very helpful, great attitudes.
Close to shopping center for food. (We did not care for grab and go breakfast options.)
Free parking included.
Free WiFi - although very slow.

I do not think it was as bad as I anticipated, and certainly not the worst place I have stayed. I would stay again simply because we could not beat the location. If you want luxury, top notch rooms or views go elsewhere. This would be a purely practical choice with room for improvement.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I want to thank you for the kind words about our front desk staff and I am so glad that you liked our hotel's location. Yet, the items such as towels and linens, tub condition and the pillow and bed you described are not acceptable. I sincerely apologize for your experience. In response to your feedback, I am going to ensure we take the necessary steps to correct the areas we fell short.

Thank you again for providing us with your feedback. I invite you to contact me at mvl@extendedstay.com if you have any additional comments. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Been to Extended Stay America - San Diego - Fashion Valley? Share your experiences!