“Raise your standards” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Inn Loma Lodge

Save Saved
You added Americas Best Value Inn Loma Lodge to your Saves list
Americas Best Value Inn Loma Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3202 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110 (Formerly Loma Lodge) (Point Loma)   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Get 15% Off Your Stay
Ranked #183 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Raise your standards”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

If you like to give your hard earned money to crappy motels in exchange for poor living conditions, then this is the roach motel for you! First you will spend several minutes trying to get the flimsy key card to unlock the door. When it finally unlocks, the door will still be immovable as the decrepit, old building has jammed it tightly shut. Hopefully you have a strong shoulder and don’t mind throwing it against the door, but make sure to do it quickly or the lock will reset and you’ll be stuck at step 1 trying to unlock again!

Did you finally get into the room you payed good money for? Sorry, it’s only going to get worse… Be very careful in the bathroom, as the tiles are extremely slippery, even when completely dry! I informed the manager and he blamed the cleaning staff for applying too much grease. Throwing your employees under the bus is a sure sign of a good manager. Anyone interested in personal injury lawsuits could make a fortune off this idiot. Also, if you’re over 6 feet tall, don’t plan on showering standing up, the ceiling is too low for that luxury.

The beds are quite stiff and the two pillows on it are way too thick, so make sure to book an appointment with a spine and neck doctor for after your stay. I can’t confirm any bed bug sightings, but there is a nice new stain on my dress shirt from an insect whom I mercilessly squished after he managed to crawl underneath it.

Personally, I’m not one for white noise, but if you like low whooshing noises caused by noisy plumbing, then this is indeed the spa for you.

I could go on about the stale pastries and weak, burnt coffee that’s offered as “breakfast”, but that would just ruin the surprise.

Bottom line, if you’re willing to pay mid range hotel prices for lousy, budget motel quality, go ahead and settle for this dump. At least it’s only 15 minutes from the convention center…

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
GMLOMALODGE, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Loma Lodge, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Please read our excellent reviews before forming an opinion on where you stay in beautiful San Diego. I did speak with this guest and he stayed with us 3 days & with a 24 hours staff daily he never gave us an opportunity to address his complaints which would have been fixed immediately.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Although this is an older hotel, the rooms are impeccably clean and comfortable. Roomy space and the beds (I think they just purchased new ones) are so comfortable. I've stayed here a few times, and you just can't beat it for the price, clean no frills, free muffins, bagels and coffee in the morning. Close to restaurants, pharmacy, coffee shops, bus line and is located close to freeway and minutes from the airport and Seaworld. Sometimes they offer stay six days and get the seventh free. Recommend calling for reservations or in person, as their website seems to say they have no availability often, when in reality they actually do have rooms available. Staff is incredibly friendly!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GMLOMALODGE, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Loma Lodge, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
We do thank you for your nice review & hope we can have you as our guest in the near future. Great rates & service year round at the award winning ABVI Loma Lodge. Brian Johannsen General Manager
Oceanside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

The newly renovated Deluxe room was clean, and had all the amenities that you need (coffee pot, microwave, mini-fridge). The staff is friendly and helpful. Not a fancy place, but is a great value. Not my first time at this property, and won't be my last.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
GMLOMALODGE, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Loma Lodge, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you for your nice review & we appreciate your business. We hope you got one of our frequent stay cards during your stay & hope to see you again. Brian Johannsen-- GM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband, son, and I stayed here when we came in to town for another son's graduation ceremony from Marine boot camp. We chose this place because it was both the most reasonably priced and cleanest we could find without prior reservations. Also, it's located within walking distance of stores and restaurants and it's no more than a couple of miles from the Marine Corps Recruit Depot (MCRD) where the graduation ceremony was taking place.

Our room had 2 double beds separated by a shared nightstand with lamp, TV armoire, small desk with chair, small refrigerator and a luggage rack. The room had a fairly spacious open closet with a shelf running across the top. The bathroom was average sized with a larger shower area in lieu of a bathtub. There are no laundry facilities for guests but they do have irons and ironing boards upon request at the front desk. As stated the room, including the carpets, bed, furnishings, and the bathroom were very clean. My only gripes about the room would be that it had a strange smell, it reminded me somewhat of cat litter, and the bathroom had no towel bars or racks to hang anything on. Other than that, it served its purpose in giving us a place to lay or heads for a couple of nights in a clean and peaceful environment. They serve a very small continental breakfast in the morning consisting of coffee, teas, muffins, bagels, and pastries and the staff was very friendly and helpful. I was also allowed to view the room before renting.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
GMLOMALODGE, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Loma Lodge, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
We thank you for your nice review & hope we have earned your business should you return to beautiful San Diego again you will keep us in mind. Have a great day! Brian Johannsen--GM
Newtown, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

If your looking for great little hotel this is the place...  Inexpensive, nice staff, clean, great pool.

Recommended great restaurants
10 min from sea world 15++ from zoo.
Way to visit San Diego cheap!!

Room Tip: 2nd floor back side.. Seems to be a busy road but is not bad at night
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
On behalf of my staff & myself we thank you so much for your review & are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate the business & hope to see you again! Brian Johannsen-- GM
Buckeye, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed two nights in Oct 2013. the staf were very friendly and courteous. The room was small but very clean and the beds were comfortable. The lodge was very easy to find and less than ten minutes from Sea World. What the lodge lacked in amenities it more than made up for in other areas. I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
GMLOMALODGE, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Loma Lodge, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Just want to say thank you for a great review & we are happy that you stay was the best! Thanks again :) Brian Johannsen-- GM
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stayed this property for 1 day last month. I apologize for my late post as I have been travelling on business, and have not been able to sit down and write about my awful experience at this Motel.

First, at check-in, I felt as though I was a burden to the staff. Although I was greeted it did not seem very genuine or heartfelt. It was no doubt a fake hello and did not go much farther than that. Ordinarily I wouldn't expect 5 diamond service at a cheap motel, but I gave this place a try because of the positive reviews on this site. I guess I just hyped up an standard cheap motel in my mind to be something more than it could be.

Secondly, the room was crap, although again I suppose this was because I hyped the property up too much in my mind. When booking a cheap motel I suppose I should have expected hairs on my pillow and sheets and pubs in the bathroom.

Thirdly, and most importantly, I will say that management was petty to say the least, and does not value their guests. I called the front desk to voice my concerns about the cleanliness of my room and speak with the manager and was told the manager would either call me back, or come to my room. 2 hours later neither happened. I called again and was told the manager had left for the day. No sorry, no let me find you a new room, no ill send someone up in a biohazard suit to remove the pubs from your room- nothing. I never thought I would be able to say this, but management is definitely not qualified to run this motel- not sure how anyone could be not qualified to run this crap hole but nonetheless I was surprised again.

I wanted to close with a message for Mr. Johannsen. I applaud your dedication in responding to your guest's reviews. That being said do not bother using your standard cut and paste response to this review. If I wasn't worth your time while I was a guest at your property, I am surely not worth your time now.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
GMLOMALODGE, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Loma Lodge, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
I am sorry to hear u had a bad experience with us but I was never told of this whatsoever. I hope u will contact me on who u spoke to about your complaints so I can prevent this. I do value my guests if not I wouldn't have awesome reviews & would not be the GM of award winning ABVI Loma lodge. I hope u will contact me.

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Loma Lodge? Share your experiences!