“Cheap Stay” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Americas Best Value Inn Loma Lodge to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
Americas Best Value Inn Loma Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3202 Rosecrans Street, San Diego, CA 92110 (Formerly Loma Lodge) (Point Loma)   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #177 of 270 hotels in San Diego
Alpine, Utah
“Cheap Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Let's face it, I was just looking for a good deal. This was the cheapest hotel I could find that sleeps 6 people. If you need a cheap place to sleep at night while on vacation this will do. Continental breakfast was coffee, fruit & pastries. Just grab & go as there was no place to sit and eat, definitely not family friendly. We ate at a nearby McDonalds every morning. There is a Target and Ralphs grocery store nearby but there was no fridge in the room so you can't really buy perishables. It is very close to a busy road so it is very loud, but my family can sleep through anything so not a big deal to us.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
GMLOMALODGE, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Loma Lodge, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Hello, On behalf of myself & my staff we are sorry that you feel we are not family friendly. ABVI Loma Lodge was built in 1957 and due to building codes & regulations it is very costly to make improvements to our motel therefore we have to manage the best we can with the space we have to serve our breakfast. We also have lots of great reviews from guests with families who have really enjoyed our family rooms, our pool, and our awesome service & very clean rooms. We hope you will come back to be our guest again. Sincerely, Brian Johannsen GM

100 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Not quite a antique hideaway..but it was realtively quiot, cute little bathroom, and nice folks there to help....if economy is at top of list....and you need to be just off beating path...you might find it oik. Old TV's though...I just dont get that.

Room Tip: non smoking smells clean
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
GMLOMALODGE, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Loma Lodge, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
On behalf of my staff & myself we appreciate your honesty & we do strive to present the best product we can . We hope you will give us another try because we are making improvements daily to be a notch above the rest. Sincerely, Brian Johannsen General Manager
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was my second and last time staying at the Loma Lodge. The first trip was so-so but the location was decent and the price good enough to go again which I now gravely regret. PLEASE READ ALL TO BE ADEQUATELY AWARE!

After nearly 24 hours of travel I checked into my room at 2pm. At 3:30pm I was awoken by laughter and music that sounded as if it were being played over laptop speakers from what seemed to be at the foot of my bed. It wasn't so much loud as it seemed close. The laughter faded as I opened my eyes but the music persisted. It was coming from the room next to mine, through the connector door of which that guest had just arrived shortly after I'd fallen asleep. GOOD MOTELS have double-doors connecting the rooms to create some dead air to buffer the sound- this had a paper-thin door. Simple problem right?

Wrong! I went to the desk and asked for a different room. The woman at the desk (not the nice one who had checked me in two hours before) was SO RUDE and basically told me that it was my fault for not seeing the room first. Even if I had seen the room there was no way for me to know of how disruptively loud it would be from an inadequate door since THE PERSON NEXTDOOR wasn't there when I checked in. She gave me an incredibly hard time and eventually called the "big boss" to see if she could give me the "deluxe" room since it was the only one available. She informed me that if he agreed it would be a significant upgrade charge. Exhausted, I agreed to pay whatever the upgrade charge was so long as I could move to a room where I couldn't hear every nuance the person nextdoor made.

When the "big boss" Brian W. Johannsen (based on the business card at the desk) called her back he informed her that he refused to lose a night of revenue for the room that I had been in- so either I had to stay the night in there OR the room would need to be made up by the desk clerk since the cleaning crew had left for the day. The woman at the desk informed me that she wouldn't remake the bed with clean sheets so I was out of luck. To clarify- the manager wouldn't give me the quieter "deluxe" room without being able to receive revenue from the crummy room I was given, so if the crummy original room couldn't be rented out do to me sleeping under the blankets, then I couldn't have the better room.

Mind you, I PAID FOR 4 NIGHTS IN ADVANCE. So rather than the owner either make the front desk clerk make up the bed so they could re-rent the loud room, OR just eat the cost of not being able to rent it out for the evening (until the cleaning crew could remake it the next day) they lost ALL OF MY BUSINESS. I was refused a refund so I went and checked into another hotel (Motel 6- $2 cheaper and MUCH NICER!) and disputed the AMX charge as they failed to provide adequate lodging.

I'm still in shock at what kind of owner would put $55 ahead of my satisfaction (and at least another 3 nights guaranteed stay on my behalf!). Between the poorly trained rude woman (who wouldn't remake the bed- rather have me leave dissatisfied) working the swing shift and the greedy owner this place shouldn't exist, period. What a way for a 24 hour trip to culminate in not being able to sleep and having to deal with ignorant, incapable, and shortsighted "business operators".

Also- VERY SCARY people/guests wondering around down the halls when I was there. One step above a homeless shelter. I'd rather stay at a Hostel any day!

P.S. I've stayed in dozens of rooms with connecting doors and was blown away at how these people didn't do anything about how inadequate the sound-dampening is between those two rooms. Even the rude woman said the room was noisy and that the day-clerk who checked me in should have told me. I took 25 second of video/audio on my iPhone to prove it. It would be uploaded to YouTube shortly.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and choose a room that isn't in this dump!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
GMLOMALODGE, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Loma Lodge, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Please read our overwhelmingly great reviews before forming an opinion after reading this negative review. This incident happened during the daytime hours . We are a busy motel & guests make noise during the day as do my housekeeping staff. I have apologized to this guest via his personal email. We are a 4 time award winner of ABVI Chain & also top 3 for overall excellence for 2012. Thank You, Brian Johannsen GM
Seoul, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We reserved this hotel with reasonable price. The staff of the hotel was kind. We used coin laundary and dry and they worked well. The room was very quiet. Shopping malls(Especailly Loma square which was good) and restaurants were very close. They provided free wireless internet.
But it took 15 minutes from the old town station by walk. They provided no hair dryer and electric kettle in our room. The breakfast was only coffee, cookies and some bread.
However I liked this hotel in most aspects.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GMLOMALODGE, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn Loma Lodge, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
I thank you for you review & hope you will stay with us again. We do have a great central location to all the attractions in beautiful San Diego & hope we see you again.
Texas City, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Great place to stay in San Diego. It is conveniently located to the airport, beach, and downtown. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. I would definitely recommend the Loma Lodge to anyone planning a trip to San Diego.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Katy, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Wonderful place to stay. Friendly staff and fantastic location. Everyone on staff was very accommodating. Stayed at the Loma Lodge for a family trip and had a great experience. Will defintiley stay there next time I am in San Diego

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Bryan, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is a wonderful place to set up camp in San Diego. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is planning a trip to this area. The rooms were extremely clean and the beds were very comfortable. The entire staff was amazingly professional and friendly, especially the manager an d front desk attendants. I can not wait until the next time I travel to San Diego, and I will definitely be staying at the Loma Lodge. Thank you for a wonderful experience!

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor were perfect.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Loma Lodge? Share your experiences!