“Nice stay near the Old Town” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Attraction tickets
Ranked #147 of 268 hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oslo, Norway
“Nice stay near the Old Town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

The host was very friendly and service-minded. Even though our coupon was valid for only one night, he accepted it for both nights, and we didn't even ask. The room was big - twice the size of standard motel rooms - and it was clean and neat. It wasn't very modern, but the standard was still better than average. At the price we got it for, it was no doubt the best motel bargain we made on our two-week road trip. The location was also very good - just off the highway (no noise though) and a short walk from the Old Town of San Diego, with good restaurants and a nice little "old fashioned" town center.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
westerninn, Manager at Western Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay. We try our best to keep all guest happy.

174 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We started our vacation in LA and traveled to San Diego for a few days to visit with family. I had a difficult time finding a suitable hotel in the San Diego area in our price range. I look for good reviews, under $100, location, free wifi, free breakfast and pool, mostly in that order. It's difficult to find something in the San Diego area that qualifies! This hotel came somewhat close. I had my sister check out my final choices and this one was the cleanest. The room was clean and very spacious. While she was shown a room with 2 queens, we were given a room with 2 queens and a sofa sitting area. The extra space was definitely a plus. It had a small kitchen area with refrig and microwave which was nice. The hotel is located in Old Town and was within walking distance (3 blocks) of the main street with lots of restaurants and shops. It's very near the highway entrances so it's easy to get around, yet it's far enough away to be quiet. We didn't even hear the jets frequenting the airport. Since parking is at a minimum in Old Town, the hotel charges $6/day to park in its garage. Depending on time of day, you might be able to park on the street but I don't know that I would want to take a chance on having to walk. The wifi was a BIG disappointment! It worked for about 15 minutes our first night, not at all the second day & finally on our last night. I was transferred to their tech support twice (which was very friendly). The first night I was told they were having problems but to keep trying. The second night I was given a reference number in case I had to call again because they couldn't get it fixed. The third night I had to call again and it finally worked when they reset one of the connections. I was told by the front desk on the 2nd night that she didn't know what the problem could be because no one else was complaining. I know this was untrue because I personally heard a gentleman saying theirs didn't work and my husband heard people complaining the next morning during their continental breakfast. They did credit me for 1/2 my parking charges as compensation. I probably should have asked for all parking since my son needed it for work but I was happy to get what I could. The breakfast was a disappointment too. I didn't make it before the 9 a.m. cutoff but my husband mentioned that there wasn't much to choose from although he did bring a couple of nice muffins to the room. One morning he was in the breakfast area and they promptly put everything away at 9. They didn't bother to ask him (it was a small area) if he would like anything else. He said he got the impression that staff maybe got the leftovers and they wanted to keep as much as possible. There was no pool at this property. There was a gate at the bottom of stairs by our room that was accessible with a room key. However, I saw staff leave the gate hanging open several times...defeats the purpose of the lock. I made sure I pulled it tight every time we used it. The cleanliness, spaciousness and location were enough to give it a high rating. Since options were limited, I thought it was a good hotel for my price range.

Room Tip: There is only one elevator and it's slow. Our room, 270, was right by a set of stairs so we used...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

It's not a horrible place, but it's far from great. Their breakfast is basically cereal and coffee (we walked across to the Marriott for breakfast all 4 days we were there). The shower had mildew in it and the towels were very old and thin. No pool, no jacuzzi, no bar, no restaurant. Their soda machine didn't even work! We were never able to get their wifi to work on either the iPad or the laptop. Their shuttle to the airport is $16 (free at other nearby hotels). They claim to be the closest to MCRD, but there are 2 other hotels literally right next to this one that are better (Marriott & La Quinta). It's in a good central location, but now that we know better, next time we will spend the $10-$20 more a night and stay at a better hotel.

Room Tip: The only tip I could give is to stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Beautiful Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

2 night stay based on reviews, price and location. The Western is pretty worn out but its location within walking distance to most everything in Old Town including the Transportation Center which gives access to all of San Diego is the redeeming factor. Basically no real amenities here, but the price is around half of the Marriott next door. Our biggest complaint was the slamming doors. You hear everyone of them and at all hours. Room was passably clean and large enough. Internet slow but stayed connected. We loved the location & price and could put up with the dated worn decor (including the beds) but would look harder for an alternative in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Western Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Dear Guest
First we thank you for staying with us and are sorry that you had alot of noice, near your room, if we were informed we could have taken care of the problem right away. We try our best to keep everyone happy and hope you give us a try again.
Loch Sport
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Great location, short walk to Old Town and Trolley Station which services all San Diego and the border to Tijuana...
The staff were most helpful, polite and the rooms were more than adequate and the prices were very reasonable..
Overall a pleasant stay...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I stayed at this hotel over the past weekend. This is definetly not the fanciest place I've ever stayed but it was clean, the hotel staff was very friendly and what they lacked in amenities they made up for by equivilant services. The staff pointed me to a great place up the street where I could take my father for breakfast and the next morning we took advantage of the breakfast delivery service. Several restaurants in the area delivered so there were options other than pizza. Check in and check out both were handled quickly and efficiently. I'd stay there again if I were in the Old Town area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Ryde, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

The staff were very friendly and accommodating. They offered suggestions on dining, shopping and other things around town. At breakfast time the manager, I believe his name was Sanjay, was very personably and easy to talk to about a variety of subjects. The maintenance/ security man was also very kind and friendly. The rooms are a bit dated but we found everything to be clean and safe. Free WiFi was also provided. Despite reviews I had read about the beds being uncomfortable, I found that was not the case and actually had a great 3 nights sleep. Overall it was a great experience and excellent value for the money. We will defiantly return as the service alone was unlike any place I've stayed before!

Room Tip: I would recommend staying on the 3rd floor for less overhead noise and because the ice machine and l...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Western Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!