“Nice place with convenient location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X Points Package!
Ranked #86 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Gilbert, Arizona
“Nice place with convenient location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This is not a beach hotel but it is close to track, fairgrounds, business area and beaches.There was no additional parking fee. The waffles are great and internet is free and easy to access. Would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I enjoy staying at locations that have larger rooms with the convenience of a functional work area, a microwave and mini refrigerator. The bed was very comfortable. During business travel, it is always great to get a good nights sleep and have the ability to have water and snacks in your room when you need them.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Mansfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as part of our honeymoon in the US. The hotel was notified we were on our honeymoon and there were strawberries, chocolates, a bottle of CA champagne and a card waiting in our room. That was a very nice touch.
I would have given a five star review had it not been for the bug problem in our suite and the failure to mention the 100% Hampton guarantee when the bug problem occurred. Also, I received zero Hhonors points for the stay. I would not have picked this hotels had I known I would not receive any Hhonors points. I have complained via the Hilton website but I have not received a response yet other than that my message has been forwarded to the GM of the hotel.

Location: easy access off the I-5, there is an ampm gas station right by the hotel, a Taco Bell and a Mexican restaurant within easy walking distance. There are two other hotel next to the Hampton. It is a business district kind of area.

Check-in: we arrived just before 2pm and were aware it was an hour before the posted check-in time. Leeza told us that the suite would be ready in an hour. We came back at 3pm and were told the suite would be ready in 20 minutes. Que 20 minutes later, we were told it would be another 15 minutes. We were given a complimentary soft drink and snack each at this stage.
The suite was finally ready at around 3.45pm and Leeza walked us to the suite as the key card machine was down and they could not issue any key cards. Leeza also congratulates us and made us feel welcome at the hotel. We received the keys around 20 minutes after check-in.

Room: we stayed in 1BR king suite. The room is spacious and it has a powder room (not listed on the hotel website so that was a nice surprise); a living room with a desk, sofa, armchair and a wet bar area; a bedroom and a bathroom. We stayed in room 409 and it showed some wear and tear but was in an okay condition. The room was clean.
We noticed but bites on our feet and lower legs as well as sporadic bites on our torsos, arms and hands the second day we stayed there. I was wearing pyjama bottoms we had left on the chair in the bedroom between going to bed evening 1 to evening 2. I noticed small black bugs next to my pyjama bottoms (they jumped when I tried to squash them) when in the bathroom. I took them off and shook them and noticed about five to ten of the bugs on the floor. I killed them and called reception as I have no idea what bed bugs look like and worried it was bed bugs. The receptionist (I do not recall his name) immediately moved us to a new suite on the third floor. A janitor came to our room to check the bugs within ten minutes and he quickly noticed that the bugs were not bed bugs.
We moved to our new suite and left our luggage in room 409.
I contacted reception again in the morning (as advices by the night receptionist) and I was connected to the front desk manager (Janine?). Janine met us in room 409 and informed us the hotel would comp our final night and send most of our clothes to be dry cleaned. We could obviously not send the clothes we were wearing. Janine saw the bugs when we emptied out the top layer of our laundry bag. The response by the hotel was good but there was absolutely no mention of the 100% Hampton guarantee which stipulates that the stay should be free if you are not 100% satisfied.

Breakfast: the breakfast area is small and quite busy at times. The breakfast itself is fine for a free hotel breakfast. There were some hot items and fresh fruit in addition to what you'd expect.

Other: the pool is small-ish but nice. There was only one towel left when we went to the pool and new towels were delivered within five minutes of us notifying reception.

Overall: I believe the hotel handles the bug situation well but I am not pleased with the lack of response after our stay to address the issues we experienced. 1. No Hhonors points awarded (I have 0 listed on my statement) 2. That the hotel did not mention the 100% Hampton guarantee. 3. Both my wife and I will have permanent scars on our lower legs and feet from the bug bites.
Would I stay here again? I would not, I would consider it had I received Hhonors points for the stay and had the hotel mentioned the 100% Hampton guarantee. Please see photos for bug and bug bite photos.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Santa Ana, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

An average Hampton Inn. However short on parking. (don't get there late at night) and poor wifi in rooms. (good in hallway and lobby) Great location for access to 5 fwy and Del Mar race track. Short drive to great beaches but definitely a drive, not a walk.

Long Beach, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Clean, basic hotel. In a crowded area with 3 other hotels touching each other, and tight parking (my only real issue with the hotel is the columns in the underground parking were very close together and made parking and getting in and out of a mid-size SUV a very tight fit).

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Santa Ana, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

An average Hampton that was quite full over the past weekend. Poor parking availability if you do not get a space before early evening. Internet, while available and free was poor for in room reception. Much better in hallways and lobby.

Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

This was my first experience of a Hampton Inn. Check in was easy and efficient. Some of the staff were more easy going than others but overall they conducted themselves professionally and courteously. My room was a King studio. The bed was super comfortable for me. Space was adequate as a solo traveller attending a conference. The breakfast was good and varied over the 5 days I was there. Wifi was solid and quick. I had a car and was able to park underneath the hotel. Parking spaces were good. Parking was secured after 7pm. There is a local Taco Bell and petrol station nearby. There is a Vons and other shops down the road about 3 minutes. The views of the freeway was uninspiring but the noise was not intrusive. Overall, I had a good stay and if in the area again, I would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Been to Hampton Inn San Diego/Del Mar? Share your experiences!