“Nice Hampton Inn” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Wake Forest, North Carolina
“Nice Hampton Inn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2007

Stayed at this Hampton Inn for 4 nights late Feb. Hotel is completing finishing touches on renovations. Outside does not look like typical Hampton as it is clad in yellow painted wood siding. The location is convenient but not the best area but seems typical for San Diego area. Inside areas are nice. They finished the lobby wall paper while we were there. Pool and hot tub area looked nice and heated but still did not used due to outside temps in upper 50s. Stayed in a newly renovated large King with brand new carpet (had that new carpet smell each time we went in). Room had patio, mini-fridge, microwave, nice granite counters, new popular style furniture grade vanity, new furniture, and new white bedding and pillows that all Hamptons are getting. Note that only the larger King rooms have the microwave, fridge, and patio or balcony. Housekeeping starts early in the morning and the room was always clean. Breakfast area is roomy with granite tables and counters and additional seeting just beyond in the lobby area so there was always a table to be had. Breakfast was typical Hampton and not bad for what you get- 1 hot entree each day (waffle/sausage, egg/sausage/biscuit, egg/bagel), good fresh fruit salad, whole bananas and apples, cerials, excellent coffee, yogurt, coffee cake, bagels and bread, muffins, milk, and the typical reconstituting orange/apple/cranberry juice machine. The breakfast staff always kept everything filled before running out. Hotel is very close to Old Town but I still wouldn't walk there through all the major roads in between. Other than the few restaurants in Old Town and several Mexican restaurants we found no very nice restaurants within a few miles of the hotel, mostly fast food and chains. Seems like most of the good restaurants are down in the gas lamp quarter. Would stay there again if staying in the area.

• Liked — New room, large room with king, fridge, microwave, granite
  • Disliked — could not seem to get the room heat to turn on (might not even have heat, did not pursue)
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Long Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2006

I have never written a review before for a hotel stay, but I feel compelled to issue a strong warning to those considering this facility. As a regular business traveler and Hampton Inn guest, I was shocked to find bed linens which had spots of dried blood. This was discovered late Sunday evening, after returning from dinner. It was too late to check out and the hotel's security guard delivered the replacement sheets for me to change at midnight. This Hampton Inn is currently undergoing remodeling and the rooms do not have the typical upgrades characteristic of almost all Hampton Inns. No wireless interenet (wires required), very old and beat up furnishings, no arm chair or sofa, dirty windows and a stale smell which permeated the room. Once the general manager came on duty Monday AM , I presented the situation of the sheets and he promptly apologized and offered the night on the house. I take no issue with the staff, but the property is very below par for Hampton Inns and my room rate for 2 queens with no balcony was $139, hardly a bargain when considering the hotel condition and the surrounding area which is primarily strip clubs, Goodwill and Salvation Army outlets and fast food joints.

• Liked — I didn't catch a disease
  • Disliked — blood stained sheets and poor condition of room
  • Tips/Secrets — avoid until remodel complete in late March 2007
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2006

My family and I stayed here at the end of August for 3 nights. The hotel was very clean. The staff was great when we needed anything. There was free internet in the lobby that my son loved. The continental breakfast was a terrific way to start our day. My only complaint was the location. Its a busy area especially during rush hour traffic.

• Liked — continental breakfast
  • Disliked — the pool was small
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2006

We stayed at the Hampton for 2 nights during our sons graduation from MCRD. It is way overpriced, we payed $136.00 per night and the room was very average, small, one queen bed a desk and a chair, I expected more. When we checked in the clerk couldnt find our reservations, she set us up in a room that was already occupied so when we went in there was another family already there, how embarrasing.There were no towels at the pool but the pool was very nice, clean well kept. Continental breakfast was also good but all tables were sticky. For a hotel that assures 100% satisfaction gauranteed, it wasnt all that satisfing.

• Liked — it was clean
  • Disliked — front desk clerk and shuttle personel were not very nice kinda rude and snotty
  • Tips/Secrets — go to a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Mission Viejo, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2006

I read the other reviews and I paid $168.07 (includes tax) for a Friday night and $187.96 for a Sat. night and I didn't get the Deluxe room with a balcony, frig. or microwave. Plus I had to pay $25.00 (non-refundable) for the dog. I had a rather small room with a King Bed, only one sink for the bath area. I had to remove all the junk on the counter top to make room for our personal things.
The pool area runs out of towls too. So be sure to take your own beach towel, even though it won't dry out unless you have a balcony to dry it out on.
And considering all the complaints about the hair dryers, take your own travel one. I always do.
Didn't know about the missing hair conditioner at the front desk or I would've gotten that before hand.
I was also disappointed that they didn't have a DVD player with the TV. I'm sure I had one at the Easton PA Hampton Inn.

• Stayed July 2006
Everett, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2006

This hotel is just off I-5 north of downtown San Diego. Hotel located three miles from Seaworld and depending on the room you can see the evening fireworks! Hotel offers good clean rooms, nice pool and hot tub, free high speed internet and a great breakfast. Our room was on the second floor overlooking the pool. Some rooms overlook a courtyard with a gazebo. Plenty of parking on-site. Comfortable lobby and very nice staff. Limited food within walking distance though, however several nice resturaunts including a Chili's and Olive Garden less than 10 minutes away by car. Hotel offers shuttle to airport and cruise terminal. Given the location and the amenities would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2006
Bakersfield, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2006

After much research and time devoted to picking the perfect spot I just went with a tried and true, Hampton. The room was exceptionally clean, large, and felt very peaceful with a balcony and tree just outside. The lobby is well kept and they were doing maintenance while we were there, a good sign of continued upkeep which shows in fresh paint etc.

The BIG drawback....PARKING. We came in late and had nowhere to park. The security officer directed me to park in fron of a van, thus blocking his exit. I was hesitant and not liking the situation but did as I was assured this was what I should do or park across the street at Denny's. Well, 7:15 a.m. they called for me to move my car. I was ticked because I knew it would happen. I think they are numb as this is a HUGE problem. No parking.

Other that than that glitch is was a great stay, great pool, clean room, fine breakfast and I would recommend it.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Hampton Inn San Diego-Sea World/Airport Area? Share your experiences!