“My Recent Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 270 hotels in San Diego
Bowie, Maryland, United States
“My Recent Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Real enjoyed my stay at Hampton Inn San Diego Airport/ Seaworld. Their servcie was outstanding, and the rooms were clean and very comfortable. The manager, Ms. Luisa Alvarado was very helpful when I first checked in, and asisted me by fixing a problem I had with my reservation. Thank you for the wonderful service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

810 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Albany, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Clean comfortable rooms and helpful, friendly staff. Centrally located near SeaWorld and Old Town and minutes from Downtown. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone visiting San Diego. Maxin goes out of her way to make everyone feel like a special guest.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
LI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Dont let the neighborhood deter you; everything about the hotel is first class. The staff is among the best of any hotel we have stayed in, at any price point. The rooms are very spacious, very clean, and even have a small kitchen area. The baths are extra large as well. We walked to Old Towne with no problem, though you do have to cross a large street. The van to the airport was fine, though would have preferred a more flexible schedule than hourly.

Room Tip: The hotel is large with wings, so be specific if you need to have easy access. We found the rooms ve...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Orange County, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I am a Hilton Honors Member and I feel this hotel was not up to the standards set by other Hampton Inns. The hotel itself is in a sketchy neighborhood. I understand the cannot control the fact that there is construction, a sketchy alley behind the hotel, and a strip club within walking distance- not the hotel's fault. However, the broken tiles in the elevator, the ripped curtains in our room, and the shower head that was not working well are all things that can be fixed internally.

We had a room with 2 queen beds- one of them squeaked terribly! There was a past guest's floss left on the floor of our bathroom. Our sink did not drain well.

Pros: Cost- this hotel was cheaper then other hotels we'd looked at. I'm typically brand loyal to the Hilton brand and its affiliates- so Hampton is a name I usually consider. Location- besides the sketchy neighborhood this hotel actually is in- about a mile walk will get you to Old Town Transit Center- which is a much better neighborhood and you can catch a bus or a trolley to many different places in San Diego. Breakfast- like all Hampton Inns this one had the hot breakfast available in the lobby each morning. We are early risers and got up around 6:15 each morning and enjoyed breakfast. As we left on the last day around 9 the breakfast area was super crowded so consider that if you are on a schedule.

The thing that disappointed me the most about this hotel was the lack of customer service we received. We needed extra towels- and the maid was obviously upset that she would need extra supplies. Also- when checking out- we were not asked how the stay was. I would have explained some of the issues but the woman who checked us out said "Ok thank you- you're all set" and immediately began helping another party. Disappointment.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Burnaby, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The hotel was very comfortable! Nice location- close to freeway for travellers with cars, and 5 min walk to the Historical Old Town and main transit station. So it takes to you 30 min from the doors of hotel to get to the Sea World, Downtown and other attractions.
Delicious breakfast in the morning from 6 to 10. Free 24 hours coffee and tea in the lobby and fresh baked cookies in the evening.
Rooms are clean and comfortable. The staff was very helpful and friendly.
Nice swimming pool with pleasant warm water and cosy hot tub!!!
Highly recommend this hotel for everyone!

Room Tip: Gardenview rooms are more pricy but very nice.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

Very nice Hampton hotel for the price in the area! Clean well maintained. Outstanding service. Definitely worth the money, close to seaworld.
You'll get an upgrade to a bigger room if you are an hhonors member.

• Stayed October 2012
Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

The area surrounding the hotel is very sketchy. There, as previously pointed out, is a strip club next door. I almost overlooked this fact due to the fact it is around the block from an in-n-out burger, though! Parking in the hotel appeared horrible. How some of those cars managed to park in those spaces is beyond me. The likelihood of your getting damaged or vandalized given the hotel's surroundings is high, in my opinion. Thankfully, I didn't have a car, thinking I could rely on the shuttle to get me to and from the airport...nope! My flight landed after midnight and their "airport" shuttle ends at 11pm...hmm...After forking over 20 bucks for a cab ride, I arrived at the hotel.

Check-in was quick and friendly, and as I was recognized as an HHonors Gold member and received a free soda and could pick offerings from the snack basket. I did receive an upgrade to a 2-king bedroom on the top floor, which was appreciated. The bed was a typical Hampton Inn bed, as was the shower. The bed skirts on the bed base were noticeably filthy, though...yuck! The room had lots of plugs, which was appreciated. The shuttle did get me reliably back to the airport in the morning, though as pointed out here previously, only runs once-an-hour...thank God I didn't miss it!

Overall, I would likely avoid a stay at this hotel in the near future, as there are better options nearby.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Victor R, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego-Sea World/Airport Area, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and regret you had an undesirable stay with us. The cleanliness of our guest rooms is something we hold as a top priority and we will be sure to improve in this area to provide a better stay for guests. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future. ~Victor Ravago, GM

Been to Hampton Inn San Diego-Sea World/Airport Area? Share your experiences!