“Decent” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 269 hotels in San Diego
Orange County, California
“Decent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I am a Hilton Honors Member and I feel this hotel was not up to the standards set by other Hampton Inns. The hotel itself is in a sketchy neighborhood. I understand the cannot control the fact that there is construction, a sketchy alley behind the hotel, and a strip club within walking distance- not the hotel's fault. However, the broken tiles in the elevator, the ripped curtains in our room, and the shower head that was not working well are all things that can be fixed internally.

We had a room with 2 queen beds- one of them squeaked terribly! There was a past guest's floss left on the floor of our bathroom. Our sink did not drain well.

Pros: Cost- this hotel was cheaper then other hotels we'd looked at. I'm typically brand loyal to the Hilton brand and its affiliates- so Hampton is a name I usually consider. Location- besides the sketchy neighborhood this hotel actually is in- about a mile walk will get you to Old Town Transit Center- which is a much better neighborhood and you can catch a bus or a trolley to many different places in San Diego. Breakfast- like all Hampton Inns this one had the hot breakfast available in the lobby each morning. We are early risers and got up around 6:15 each morning and enjoyed breakfast. As we left on the last day around 9 the breakfast area was super crowded so consider that if you are on a schedule.

The thing that disappointed me the most about this hotel was the lack of customer service we received. We needed extra towels- and the maid was obviously upset that she would need extra supplies. Also- when checking out- we were not asked how the stay was. I would have explained some of the issues but the woman who checked us out said "Ok thank you- you're all set" and immediately began helping another party. Disappointment.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

875 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Burnaby, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The hotel was very comfortable! Nice location- close to freeway for travellers with cars, and 5 min walk to the Historical Old Town and main transit station. So it takes to you 30 min from the doors of hotel to get to the Sea World, Downtown and other attractions.
Delicious breakfast in the morning from 6 to 10. Free 24 hours coffee and tea in the lobby and fresh baked cookies in the evening.
Rooms are clean and comfortable. The staff was very helpful and friendly.
Nice swimming pool with pleasant warm water and cosy hot tub!!!
Highly recommend this hotel for everyone!

Room Tip: Gardenview rooms are more pricy but very nice.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

Very nice Hampton hotel for the price in the area! Clean well maintained. Outstanding service. Definitely worth the money, close to seaworld.
You'll get an upgrade to a bigger room if you are an hhonors member.

• Stayed October 2012
Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

The area surrounding the hotel is very sketchy. There, as previously pointed out, is a strip club next door. I almost overlooked this fact due to the fact it is around the block from an in-n-out burger, though! Parking in the hotel appeared horrible. How some of those cars managed to park in those spaces is beyond me. The likelihood of your getting damaged or vandalized given the hotel's surroundings is high, in my opinion. Thankfully, I didn't have a car, thinking I could rely on the shuttle to get me to and from the airport...nope! My flight landed after midnight and their "airport" shuttle ends at 11pm...hmm...After forking over 20 bucks for a cab ride, I arrived at the hotel.

Check-in was quick and friendly, and as I was recognized as an HHonors Gold member and received a free soda and could pick offerings from the snack basket. I did receive an upgrade to a 2-king bedroom on the top floor, which was appreciated. The bed was a typical Hampton Inn bed, as was the shower. The bed skirts on the bed base were noticeably filthy, though...yuck! The room had lots of plugs, which was appreciated. The shuttle did get me reliably back to the airport in the morning, though as pointed out here previously, only runs once-an-hour...thank God I didn't miss it!

Overall, I would likely avoid a stay at this hotel in the near future, as there are better options nearby.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Victor R, General Manager at Hampton Inn San Diego-Sea World/Airport Area, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and regret you had an undesirable stay with us. The cleanliness of our guest rooms is something we hold as a top priority and we will be sure to improve in this area to provide a better stay for guests. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future. ~Victor Ravago, GM
All across the U.S.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Had to catch an early 6:30 a.m. flight so decided to stay at this airport Hampton location. It's really not that close to the airport and difficult to find. Glad someone told me to look behind the Denny's restaurant and you'll be there. It's located in a strange area with a strip club near by. Not an issue but you need to know. Airport shuttles run pretty weird. We had to be up and around for their shuttle to leave at 4:30 a.m. Room was very clean with comfortable beds. Didn't have time (nor were they open at 4 a.m.) for breakfast. This Hampton is located about 15-20 minutes from the airport.

Room Tip: Typical Hampton Inn style. Try to chose a room away from an elevator (we try to be quiet at 4 a.m...
Boston, Massachusetts
1,049 helpful votes 1,049 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This hotel has just about anything one could want. The staff is wonderfully friendly and helpful (particular thanks to Maxin!), the room is large and quiet, everything is clean, and the price is reasonable. Breakfast is excellent, with many choices both hot and cold (fruit juices, oatmeal, cold cereal, hard-boiled eggs, hot dishes that change daily, fresh fruit, waffles, toast, pastries, yogurt, coffee tea, hot chocolate, etc.). Coffee is available free at all times, and freshly baked cookies are available free in the evenings. Computers and printers are available for use --- without charge --- in the lobby, and internet access (both wired and wireless) is available without charge in the room.

The single (very slight) drawback is location. If you have a car, no problem. On foot, the place is about an 8-minute walk from the Old Town Transit Center and a slightly longer walk to Old Town. The walk is safe enough, provided that you use the pedestrian lights to cross the streets, but it isn't exactly lovely!

When I return to San Diego, this will be my hotel of choice.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Looking for a hotel with a great location and an awesome staff who welcome everyone who pass through their doors? Look no further...

This is a true gem in San Diego. Easy access from all freeways and conviently located less than 4 miles from the Pacific Ocean, under 10 minuets to Sea World and walking distance to sporting events .

The staff here is very knowledgeable and can direct you to many activities for the traveling business person or families. Or local resturants for dining of all fares.

I had business locally in San Diego and surrounding areas. Today I was to check out and stay closer to my appointment in Mexicali, Mexico. However, I decided to stay another night at this location and drive the 200 plus miles today to return to this perticular hotel. Because of the great experience I have had.

I have had the opportunity to interact with a number of the staff and in each and every case they have been very professional and were quick to help. I travel some 200 plus days per year and this Hampton leads the way by comparison. The hotel all around is modern, bright and clean and the rooms are perfect as well. They pay attention to detail and are like a family away from home. I am sure they will make you feel welcome as well. Ohh, by the way the complimentary breakfast in the morning was hot and fresh each morning. I recommend this location highly and will stay again when conducting business in the San Diego area.

dfsb /:-))

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hampton Inn San Diego-Sea World/Airport Area? Share your experiences!