“Good value for money!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Chandler, AZ
“Good value for money!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

If you are in San Diego for fun, this is a good place to stay. Room rate included a king bed room with a sofa bed, free breakfast, free wireless internet and free parking. Room was clean, spacious and convenient. The only downside, the room didn't have a fridge!

Location-wise, the hotel is centrally located very near the airport, Sea World, and old town. The hotel also provides shuttle to the airport and oldtown, which is nice if you want to avoid using a car. It would have been nice if they offered a shuttle to sea world too, but they didn't.

Breakfast was the typical hot buffet. However the setup of the buffet and refill rate of the food was very bad. I literally had to stand in line for ~15 minutes to get some food. In addition, the seating area doesn't match (or even come close) the number of rooms. So you end up standing waiting for a table to be free.

Late checkout was an option but an expensive one! 25$ per hour? That's a lot. It would have been very convenient if they had a half day upon availability late checkout at that rate! Well, the good side is, you get a free late checkout at 1pm, but when I requested that, it didn't show up on the system, so obviously the front desk guy didn't really enter the instructions.

Overall, I would recommend the hotel if you are going to San Diego. I know you can get cheaper rates, but they will be quite far (~30 minutes drive) from the main attractions. I personally don't like spending time in my car during my vacations...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

When I entered, I was quickly offered a warm welcome and my check in experience was smooth. (They even had warm cookies at the front desk.) The lobby is bright and open as was my room which had a nice patio - it looks like rooms on upper floors have balconies. The bed was comfy and the room was clean.

Although the hotel isn't that far from the freeway and airport (quite convenient on both fronts), my room was quiet and atmosphere inside the hotel is pleasant. As with other Hamptons, you can get tea, hot chocolate and coffee in the lobby any time of the day. Likewise, there were computers available for use, a workout room and pool, all located not far from the lobby as well.

In the morning, the free breakfast was a good start for my day.

From check-in to check out, the staff seemed upbeat, friendly and truly wanted to help me have a great stay - they even called to check in on me after I had settled in my room to see if I needed anything.

This was my second stay and I would choose to stay again when I'm in the area. Yes, the neighborhood may not be ritzy, but I felt safe during my entire time there, including when in the parking lot in the evening. Plus there is a gas station nearby (a couple of blocks away) which helps if you need to fill up in the morning before going back to the airport!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times. Most of my bussiness is down town or in La Jolla but this is very convenient for both. The trolly is good for downtown meetings and the freeway is easy to come and go from the North. When I just have downtown meeting it is sometimes easier to stay there but the value is better here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Quezon City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Love the location, 5 mins from Sea World and about 10 mins from San Diego Zoo and 10 mins from the airport. Staff was helpful, we had an issue with our room upon checking in and but was immediately replaced. Breakfast was perfect for the us and kids. 24hour Starbucks coffee and bananas was EXCELLENT.

I have two issues...THIN WALLS/Ceiling and difficult to park at night. I can hear people walking on the floor above us and our room next to us which was annoying at 7am if you want an extra hour of sleep. Parking was difficult if you come in at around 10pm. However, the 2 queen bed room was huge and clean.

Overall, we had a great time in San Diego and there were more pros than cons in this Hampton Inn. I would consider coming back again.

Room Tip: If you are light sleeper, check in on the top floor.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Parker, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

The staff are fantasic especially "Maegen Ibanez" the Front Office Supervisor and "Amber" (last name unknown).First of all when my wife and I were booking my rooms on Priceline.com and had questions about 1room needing to be wheelchair accessable and the need for a roll-in shower we were transfered to the hotel front desk and thats when we were introduced to Amber who promptly answered all our questions and offered us a free roll-away bed so my son could stay in the same room with me. Amber did a great job for my wife and myself so well that all people in wheelchairs would apreciate!Then when a maid had mistakenly thrown away a bag that she thought was trash and in reality there was a zippo lighter in a small case in the bag. "Maegen Ibanez" when hearing of this and that my friend of 35years had gone through all the dumpsters and trash in and outside of the hotel and could not retrieve the gift I had got for my son's graduation from Marine Bootcamp, she asured me that by the time I got back from dinner she would have the situation taken care of and that she would make it right. I came back from dinner and just as I came through the front door there was "Maegen Ibanez" with a giant smile and the exact zippo lighter I had purchased from the Marine Corps Base for my son. What I found out was that she had gone to the base and purchased a new one just like the one that had been lost. I could go on about how clean the rooms are and that the breakfast is good and that the cookies that are baked daily are fantastic but I have to say "Maegen Ibanez" made my year and helped make a very special event even that much more special. I thought that kind of customer service was dead and gone in todays society but "Meagen Ibanez" made me a believer, Thanks Maegen.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask...anything.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
venice
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Breakfast is good. Location is not so good. Parking is bad since they do not have enough spaces for the number of units, and the spaces are narrow , even moreso when most are driving SUVs or trucks. I generally prefer to stay at Hampton Inns, but this one is quite "iffy".

Room Tip: A top floor room with a pool view are best and close to the breakfast area. Rooms with high numbers...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Prescott Valley, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Was very nice, clean, convenient. Very spread out so room at far end was quite a distance from the lobby. Anyone with difficulty walking should ask for a room near the lobby.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hampton Inn San Diego-Sea World/Airport Area? Share your experiences!