“It's just a so-so place...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Paradise Point Resort & Spa

You added Paradise Point Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Paradise Point Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1404 Vacation Road, San Diego, CA 92109 (Mission Bay Park)   |
Offers & Announcements
Save Up to 20% Off
Ranked #120 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Francisco, CA
“It's just a so-so place...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

I wouldn't return or recommend staying here, unless 3 conditions are met:
(a) you are traveling with young children (for whom there is plenty to do);
(b) you can get a guarantee from the hotel that you will be given a room without any musty, mildewy odor; and
(c) the average nightly price falls below $190 or so, including parking.

Otherwise, I would recommend the similarly priced, similarly appointed Catamaran Resort Hotel as a better alternative. The Catamaran fronts on Mission Bay (like the Paradise Point), but also benefits from being just across the street from a public swimming beach on the Pacific Ocean.

• Stayed July 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2006

Don’t disregard the bad reviews like we did!! Paradise Point Resort & Spa does not live up to its name. One would expect the highest level of services from a “resort.” Instead, when we opened the couchbed there was sand all over the sheets! Meaning, they didn’t change sheets in-between guests. Totally nasty and unacceptable. So that night we put a small mark on our sheets. The next night we checked them and they had NOT been changed. Most hotels have a sign if they will not change sheets and towels during your stay. Paradise Point did not have any of those signs.

One of the Front Desk clerks was very rude, refused to honor our reservations made a month before for a Bayside Room (saying the hotel was booked up), and told us we could depart the property. A manager finally honored our reservation. They charge $20 PER DAY for parking, when parking is just outside the room but when we got the bill, it was for $40 per day (which we had corrected)! In the bathroom, the shower arm fell to the wall and water sprayed out the side. I wanted to say something nice about this place but every day more and more things went wrong. Beautiful grounds. There are plenty of other resorts to go to in San Diego. They may not be as kid friendly but they have to be better. Paradise Point needs to re-train the staff and housekeepers to provide “resort” level service (since there should be a noticeable difference between a motel and a resort). It would also be nice if they hosed off the old bird poop and grit from the patio furniture.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2006

Let me start by saying that I am a travel agent and have traveled and seen a good bit. I arrived at Paradise Point (they did not know that I was doing a sight visit) after a very long night of traveling with my 10 year old and my husband. ( I had called the resort prior to arrival to confirm my reservation as well as to let them know that I would be arriving very late in the evening. ) They had overbooked the hotel and had no room for my family. It is 3:00 in the morning our time. After about an hour of them (Norman) calling around for a room somewhere else they sent us to the BAHIA. They had 1 room available. The grounds here are very nice but it is not a resort. It is a motel. Hot, Dirty, worn, and Old.

I was told by Norman at Paradise Point that as soon as I woke I could come back and check into my room.....so after no sleep I called around 9:00 a.m. and was told that check in was 4:00. I explained everything to the front desk clerk and she said "sorry..........come on by and we'll buy you lunch... but check in is 4:00. "

Long story short.............they did not charge me the $20 parking every day and they took off a charged dinner on my bill. Would I stay here again? Probably not. It is more important to me to be reassured a room when I am traveling with my family. On top of that, I should have been handled by a manager....but it seems that this happens all of the time at Paradise Point so nothing special is done.

The rooms are old, just like many of the write ups say. They are very worn and could use as much attention as the grounds get. We did have a room on a little pond with ducks. This kept my 10 year old busy. The bed squeeked, the sofa bed was VERY thin, I cloroxed the bathroom........it wasn't clean enough for me. Everything in the room is worn from years of use. The carpet is very old and dirty. Bring flip flops or slippers .....my sons feet were BLACK from walking around the room barefoot.

The grounds here are beautiful. The barefoot grill was very good and has great atmosphere. The staff was pleasant at all other times. It is kid friendly...just not top notch like their rates suggest. Good luck if you go.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
Magnolia, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2006

We spent the last four days of a whirlwind two week tour of southern California at Paradise Point. Our first week, we were at the Marriott Residence Inn in Hotel Circle which was a perfect base for all our amusement park hopping. Then up to Irvine's Hyatt Regency for a karate tournament. I will review these properties too, but suffice it to say that they met or exceeded our expectations. Unfortunately, Paradise Point did not.

Our plans had been to spend the last few days of our trip lounging in the deck chairs in front of our beachfront bungalow next to a pristine (or at least well maintained beach) while our preteen boys played on the beach and in the water. When we arrived to check in, we were soooo excited. The grounds were lovely. The pools were pretty. The ponds were great and we loved the fact that there were sweet little ducks swimming around everywhere (we didn't know that we'd spend the next four days yelling at other people's kids not to throw rocks at the ducks, but I guess that's besides the point!).

Our room wasn't quite ready for us, so we took the map the girl at the front desk gave us and went off to check out the general area where she told us our room would be. The first thing I noticed was that the "beach" in the picture wasn't exactly what I expected, it was more of a manmade cove - no waves - big drainage pipe spewing who knows what into the water with a warning sign not to swim within 72 hours after a rain - one stretch with no sand, just a huge wall of boulders. I became concerned about the specific location of our room (i.e. was it going to be near the sewage pipe or the boulders?) and went back to the desk to ask. The clerk didn't know, but when I told her that putting my two pre-teen boys near those boulders was a trip to the emergency room waiting to happen (I'm sure she heard "lawsuit" although I didn't say it) she said she'd put in a request in the back.

When they called us to tell us our room was ready, we picked up the keys to Unit #526 (located comfortably between sewage pipe and boulders) and were pleasantly surprised to find that our room was quite lovely. The bathroom was set up so the kids needn't wake us in the middle of the night to potty (unlike the Marriott). The masterbedroom didn't have blackout curtains, but the thick shrubs shaded the windows nicely for late mornings. (On a side note, the thick shrubs only lasted two nights. For some reason they sent the lawn guy with a ladder and an electic trimmer to cut them down at 7:30 a.m. the second morning we were there. We spent the next three nights hanging every available towel in the room in the windows trying to block out the glaring parking lot lights!)

No matter, the kids hit the beach and we hit the deck chairs and that's when I started noticing the trash...everywhere. Pizza boxes, beer cans (and bottles), wrappers, all sorts of nasty stuff, old, moldy towels, abandoned shoes, and so on. I called the front desk to ask them what time of day they came by to clean the beach and they said that it was a, "public beach" and they weren't responsible for cleaning it. Funny how the beach in front of the Hotel Del Coronado is public too, and yet the Del manages to clean it anyhow. So, not wanting to spend the next four days looking at a gross trashy beach, we cleaned our section ourselves. I even picked up a maxipad! #^$^%#%@^%!!!! GROSS!!!! I must have used a whole bar of soap washing my hands (which was never replaced - I'm glad I snagged some from the Hyatt!!)!

Some other points...like others have mentioned, the food in the hotel restaurants is mediocre and overpriced and I laugh at whoever said the tuna in my salad was "sashimi grade". It should have been in a can. The beach is definitely a public beach. It is located next to a public park where some unsavory elements tend to hang out until half past late in the evening (we once had to listen to heavy bass from car speakers past 3 a.m. - another time they were shooting off bottle rockets!) The hotel staff once again can not help with this situation.

The hotel doesn't keep the beach clean with the exception of when they are preparing for their beach karaoke night. They did manage to pick some of the trash (which was overflowing the cans) up in preparation for making us listen to drunken hotel staff and guests blaring karaoke in the style of the worlds worst American Idol auditions until 10:30 p.m. - so much for our nice peaceful bonfire. When I called to ask what it was about and when it would end, they didn't know. They thought it might be entertainment from one of the restaurants (that we weren't near) or possibly a wedding. It was painfully obvious it was a hotel sponsored function - they even had a last call for their cash bar! They just once again didn't want to claim responsibility for something obnoxious. I feel particularly sorry for the poor people whose lawn they claimed to set up the speakers on.

To make a long story longer, instead of spending a lot of time hanging out around the "beach" in front of our $550 plus tax plus $20 for parking (even though every room has its own spot) like we planned, we ended up spending most of our time in other places. I feel like it was a complete waste of over $2000. This wasn't the first time that we had stayed at a Noble House property, but it will certainly be the last.

• Stayed June 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2006

This place was amazing! The rooms are great - each with their own private outside sitting area. Almost like individual apartments. It was so nice to get away for a weekend and be in an all inclusive hotel/resort. Walk to the bars, resteraunts and pools. The place is 44 acres so if you get lost you can get a golf cart to drive you home. How nice is that?

Highly recommended and we plan on going back very soon!

• Stayed June 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2006

I enjoyed our stay and our kids loved it even more. The place accommodated our every need, down to making PB & J sandwiches for our niece who eats hardly anything else. The pools were great. The beaches were great. Kids loved finding shells. The conceirge would do everything they could to help you with what you need. They helped us overnight fed ex a package of meat to family back home. The only thing I didn't like was there was no where to wash your feet after being at the beach and coming back to your room (we had a room on the beach). We had to wash feet in the tub, leaving sand and such all over the tub. The carpet would leave your newly washed feet dirty after only an hour of being on it due to all the tracked in dirt/sand that a vaccuume can't get. No wonder the carpets are dark brown - it hides any dirt. Overall though, it was a great place with great service!

• Stayed May 2006
Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2006

Spent the last weekend in April at Paradise Point Resort for a business conference. Grounds are absolutely breathtaking and soooooooooooo relaxing. This resort has something for everyone (beautiful nature/landscaping, swimming pools, spa, putting greens, beach, wonderful food, courteous staff, and great conference facilities). They even had relaxing "spa age" music in the ladies restroom at the main swimming pool (nice touch). My ONLY "gripe" was the length of time it took for bell staff to pick me up in their golf cart and drive to the conference facilities, as it was not a comfortable walking distance from my bungalow in dress heels. Even so, I'd really like to go back to Paradise Point some day as a leisure guest to really avail myself of their awesome facilities!

Been to Paradise Point Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!