“Due For Renovation!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Paradise Point Resort & Spa

You added Paradise Point Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Paradise Point Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1404 Vacation Road, San Diego, CA 92109 (Mission Bay Park)   |
Offers & Announcements
Save Up to 20% Off
Ranked #120 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Due For Renovation!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2005

I recently returned from what was going to be a 4 night stay, after 2 nights. I spent more time in the lobby dealing with room problems than on my vacation. It's too bad. Five years ago I had a nice experience, but the hotel has become very run-down. My room was changed 4 times, each with problems. Each room had a musty odor, worn and dirty carpets, and cob-webs. The first one had only one bed even though I requested 2 (not going to work with 3 kids.) The next room had no windows and felt like a dungeon. One room had a water leak, which looks like it had been a problem for quite a while. Our last room had a bathroom light fixture explode, sending shattered pieces of light bulb everywhere, and had missing window coverings on the front door (which is a see-thru glass door that faces the street.) The grounds are nice, but right now some of the lagoons look more like swamps. The main pool is nice, with the other 4 being nothing to speak of. The prices are high, especially for the present condition, and everything is an extra expense -- self-parking, gym, bikes, mini-golf, etc. This hotel is in desperate need of some major TLC!!

• Stayed August 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
Las Cruces, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2005

We had a wonderful time in San Diego and would highly recommend this as a family vacation destination. We stayed at the Paradise Point Resort upon the recommendation from a friend, although were somewhat cautious about staying there after reading other peoples' reviews. The Resort grounds are absolutely gorgeous!!! There was lush greenery, flowers and ponds throughout...not to mention the convienience of having a beach within walking distance. Our kids, ages 4 & 7 were enchanted by the water, the beach and the daily visits from ducks, who came to our patio daily for a friendly visit (this was a real winning point for the kids).

We found our room accomodations to be "adequate", with a "beach house" feel. There was nothing fancy about the room we were assigned to: a small room with 2 double beds, a small table, a television hutch with drawers and a small dorm-sized refrigerator (which we found helpful to stock with drinks and lucheon meats), as the Resort's restaurants were over priced and the food was only "adequate". There was a sizable walk-in closet a nice sized vanity area, with the bath & toilet in a separate room. The cleanliness of the room was questionable...although we had no difficulities with any ants or other bugs. I didn't feel the accommodations were worthy of the heafty price we paid per night. Also note that this agency has the nerve to charge for parking on top of what you're already paying!!! ($18 per night). The pool areas are nice, but not very clean.

If you plan to spend lots of time in and around the actual Resort, this is a beautiful place to stay, but if, like us, you plan on visiting all the attractions in San Diego, you may consider someplace more reasonably priced.

• Stayed June 2005
Sherman Oaks, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2005

The price that the Noble Resorts charge for a stay at this (resort?) is outrageous. Although the executive suite that we (2 adults & 2 children) stayed in was large and spacious the surrounding resort, employees and atmosphere did not warrant the inflated summer rate that we were charged. When you stay at a Resort you expect higher quality with knowledgeable employees and premier service. None of this was true all through the resort from the front desk, checking in to the Barefoot Bar & Grill. A blatant example would be after waiting 40 minutes for a simple meal to arrive to your table a manager gives you the excuse that the computer is at fault. Other tables were served and families left before our dinner arrived! We would not visit this motel again.

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2005

Stayed July 17-20 with my wife and 2 kids (age 10 & 13).

Room: We selected a garden view that had 2 queen beds. Room was small and had more of a street view than garden. Inside the room was a table with 1 chair, a lounge chair, a TV and small refrig. There was a closet with iron and board next to a vanity area. The bathroom was small in size. There was an area in the back (outside) that had 2 lounge chairs. Depending on the size of your family, you might feel squeezed in as we did. The whole complex is one level, so no one above you!
Recommendations: If you want a "garden view, ask for one away from the street that actually looks over a pond or garden.

Parking: You park right next to your room. However, it costs $15 per day!

Grounds: Lots of flowers, trees, birds, ducks, ponds, fish and trash. For such a big, beautiful area, it's a shame that the grounds
are not kept up better. There were areas of trash in the ponds and even a dead duck. The duck was still there when we left! Some of the ponds smelled due to lack of moving water.

Pools: There's 5 pools in this complex. The "main" pool area is a sandy, beach like area surrounded by lots of lounge chairs. There's also a food/drink area for kids and adults. The problem here is that the pool is only 3 1/2 ft deep. This is great for small kids to maybe 7. If you want to actually swim, this area won't work. There's also a jucuzzi.

The other "heated pools" include:
>An adults area only. Nice pool and jucuzzi, but not for kids
>The "waterfall" pool was great for my kids. Heated and 8ft deep.

Activities: 18 hole, min golf ($9 per person), bike rentals ($10-$20per hr). There's a marina that has sailboats, motor boats, pedal boats ($20-$80 per hr). The beach area has several "fire" pits. One suggestion would be to bring your own wood and have a beach party. The complex charges you $50 for a small stack of wood, some marshmellows and stuff to make smores.

Food: Room Service (didn't use so I don't have a recommendation).The complex has 2 places to eat: 1 casual, 1 semi-upscale. We ate 2 times at Barefoot (casual). We sat outside next to a pond area that included sharks, sting-rays...Food was average. There's a kids menu. Adult plates averaged $12-15. They also serve breakfast.

Didn't eat at the "upscale" place. Didn't eat at the "main" pool area.

There's also a "Market/Gift shop". Prices are way overpriced. We actually paid less at PetCo park than the complex "market"

Location: From a location point of view, you're within minutes of everything.
10 mins to Belmont Park, 15 mins to Balboa Park/Zoo, 5 mins to Sea World, 15 mins to Seaport Village, 15 mins to Old Towne. The complex offers no transportation to local attractions. There were several taxi's I saw however.

Overall it was just average. Not enough to make me stay again at current $$.

los angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2005

I was very concerned about staying at this resort because of some of the reviews I have read but we were pleasantly surprised. As soon as we arrived the line to check in was out the door. However, we were in our room by the 4 pm check in time so that was nice.The grounds of the property are well kept and very pretty. Ducks wander the property and came up near our room in the morning which my 2 yr old son loved. The room was smaller than I had expected but since our room was on the water it made it okay for the time we were actually in the room. The main complaint I have is that they need to have a bay maintanence crew. My son was digging in the "sand/dirt" and found a corn cob pick with a very sharp point. The sand/dirt should be kept up since there are firepits along the bay and that tends to add to the problem.Overall, this is a perfect place to stay with kids since there are a lot of things to do and the pool is very nice and warm. Things in the hotel are overpriced. For example, 2 plain coffees were $7 at the coffee cart. Luckily, we had our car and the hotel is very close to restaurants and coffee houses so we left for food and drinks.

Phoenix
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2005

My husband and I took our two girls, ages 5 and 7, to San Diego from July 10th-15th. I had originally read some good reviews on this hotel--it was not until a few days before departure that I started reading some bad ones. If I had it to do over again I probably would have picked a different resort.

Check in was fine- we arrived about 1:30 and our room was ready. Very nice man gave our girls and my husband a ride in his shuttle to our room and I followed in the van. I was immediately disappointed with the location of the room. It was right next to the convention center . This made our view from our room some type of wood fence that was used to hide some of their equiptment. Since I had not specified where I wanted my room, I did not complain.

I was also disappointed about the size of the room. There were two queen sized beds and a small desk with two chairs. The TV was set into an armoure that also held a very small refridgerator. If my husband and I had been traveling alone the amount of space would have been fine. The bathroom sink was very nice, but again very small. The shower/bath was also tiny.There was a strong must smell in the room. I decided not to fret as we were planning on spending the majority of the time at the pool and Sea World.

We ordered room service that night. Took about 30 min to get our food. I would give it a 2 on a scale of 1 to 5. Not cheep by the way!

In the morning we woke up to find we had visitors in the bathroom. Ants! I was not pleased about this. I do not go camping because I like the outdoors to stay outdoors!! We called housekeeping and advised them we would be gone for the day and would appreciate the ants be gone when we came back.

Sea World was wonderful. Only stayed a few hours. Did breakfast with Shamu--I highly reccomend this for the kids!! They loved it!! Decided to go back to the hotel and swim. We would finish Sea World the next day. We really enjoyed the main pool. There were many families, but that was fine with us...we had ours with us!! The service at the pool was great. We always had a drink in our hand and the food was OK. Not a very big selection and the prices were high, but it was nice to be able to eat at the pool. The girls had their hair braided poolside. They thought that was neat. I would give the pool area a 4 on my 1-5 scale.

The ants did make a return a couple of times and eventually I did not smell the musty smell. Must have gotten used to it. When we checked out we complained again about the ants and the fact that one day we came back and had no parking space--there was something going on at the convention center. They ended up crediting two days of parking which was $18/day.

There were many on site activites- boat rental, bike rental, ect. We did not visit the beach at the resort, we drove to Mission Beach.

Don't get me wrong. We had a wonderful time on our vacation. The room issues did not ruin the week, however I would not reccomend this resort or stay here again. It was definitely not worth the price.

• Stayed June 2005
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2005

My family and I stayed 3 nights at the Paradise Hotel for a short vacation to San Diego. Our room was clean and nice and the grounds are decently maintained overall.

The service was attentive, especially at the pool, where we ate lunch one day. We also ate one meal at the Barefoot Bar and Grill and the service was friendly and the food decent. The only bad thing is there are tons of large birds everywhere at the Barefoot Bar and Grill and one was eating eggs off of a table near us, which I thought was really gross. The family sitting there must have found it acceptable because they just sat there and allowed it. The restaurant should post signs discouraging that because the birds are a bit of a nuisance.

I felt safe walking around the resort, even at night, because of all the families and other people around. The main pool is very large and warm and the pool area is kept clean. Some areas of the grounds could use a little TLC, such as a bit of trash in the lagoons and the water is a little funky in some places. Some of the outdoor furniture by the lagoons could also use a cleaning as well (the pool furniture is kept very nice).

We stay at a lot of hotels and I felt that Paradise Point did an overall good job of meeting our needs. I am picky and would be quick to point out anything gross or dirty in our room. The curtains in our room need to be replaced because they were torn and worn on top. Other than that, the beds are very clean and comfortable and the rooms are quiet. I guess people's impression of this resort depends a lot on where the room is located and there is a lot of variation. Our room did not smell musty at all, nor was the carpet dirty, as I have read in other reviews. Why some rooms are cleaner than others seems strange to me as well (different housekeeping staff?).

This is a nice, family-orientated place to relax. There are lots of kids everywhere, so we felt very comfortable (I was not the only pregnant lady by the pool). I wanted a place to stay with the kids while my husband worked in San Diego and not have to drive anywhere during the day. Our room was right on the bay and we had a lovely view. We walked on the beach at night and enjoyed all the bonfires and other people around. One last thing-the prices for snacks are very high in the gift shop and restaurants are pricey (the resort does seems to nickle and dime you). Since the rooms have refridgerators, we went to a grocery store and stocked up on juice boxes, bottled water, yogarts, fruit, etc. and ate breakfast on our little patio. For dinner, we left the resort and ate at some of the wonderful places San Diego has to offer, such as in Old Town, and for a lot less than Paradise Point. Great way to save money.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Paradise Point Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!