“Mother/Daughter Get-Away” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Paradise Point Resort & Spa

You added Paradise Point Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Paradise Point Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1404 Vacation Road, San Diego, CA 92109 (Mission Bay Park)   |
Offers & Announcements
Save Up to 20% Off
Ranked #120 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersBronze level
California
“Mother/Daughter Get-Away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My daughter came home for a little break from college and I decided to get her away for a couple days in San Diego for some R & R. I booked a bayfront suite. I really don't have anything negative to say about our suite, except that after our stay, I really felt that for what we paid for the room, it was not worth the money spent. That said, it was clean, albeit a bit "cold" with the tile floors, etc. I see the reasoning behind this, being that the room sits directly across from the water and the sand. They have been updated, but mostly it seems with a thick coating of paint over the already existed and dinged up walls. After we walked around the grounds a bit, we made our way over to the other side where we watched the sunset and I realized that for $500+ bucks a night, we should have had a room on THAT side of the bay. I don't know what those rooms are called but our rooms were on the quieter side, but with very little view of anything and definitely no sunset. I was disappointed in our bayside room after watching the sun set on the other side. So I would check to see if you do book a bay side room that you get one where you can sit outside and watch the sun set.

They had nice firepits on the sand and my daughter and I did make a nice fire out there. That was VERY neat. But don't buy your firewood at the hotel store, it's $14.95 a small bundle. A cute little "smores" package will set you back $25 (probably enough to make 6 smores.) Drive down the road less than a mile or two and go to Vons, pick up a few bundles of firewood for about $5 each, a couple firestarter logs, some graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate and you'll have everything you need for a perfect fire pit evening.

Would I stay here again? Yes, I think I would. The staff were friendly, the grounds were really quite nice to walk around in, I found them prettier at night with the lights they have sprinkled in the trees, etc. I would like to bring my family back for another stay, however, I'm not sure I'd fork over the extra money for the particular bayside room we had this weekend. This could be a VERY neat resort...it needs a bit of updating to be able to justify the costs of their rooms. But otherwise, I was not terribly displeased.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (729)
Oceanside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW via mobile

To help celebrate a friend's birthday, we rented a room for the night. We were welcomed to the hotel with a box of toffee. The birthday girl had a suit on the beach and our room was just a few doors down.

The suite was beautiful, with a separate bedroom and living room. Ours was a beautiful 2 queen bedroom. We felt pampered and spoiled, and all of the staff was very accommodating.

Our room wasn't ready for early check-in so we hung out at the pool and in our friend's suite. When our room was ready, the hotel staff delivered the room keys to us at the suite.

I can't wait to return to the property! It's perfect for a romantic getaway, family stay, or any other escape!

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
los angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Our family hadn't been to Paradise Point for several years. We used to go one or two times per year for several years, but it seemed that each time we went the rooms got shabbier and shabbier, and the pools got cooler and cooler -- it was at the point where it was on the border of being uncomfortable to be in the water.

On the positive side, they have done some room renovations. Hardwood flooring has replaced the fraying, stained carpet. Also, the pools were heated to a reasonable level. Further, the staff in the Island store is very nice and helpful.

On the negative side, the food was mediocre at best. The kids ate their pasta but didn't enjoy it. Our friends from San Diego that met us at the resort were neither impressed nor unimpressed with their choices.

The Barefoot food was terrible. Two of the adults in our group did not even come close to finishing their lunch. My Cobb salad was amazingly bland. The kids ate their burgers, but I think they would have preferred going to McDonald's.

On the web site, Paradise Point boasts that it has been named one of the five top hotels for tennis in San Diego. The level of competition must be fairly low. The courts aren't clean, the chain link fences are rusting away, and at least one of the drinking fountains doesn't work. The pro shop has been shut down. At least the tennis is free -- the Island shop provides free racquets and a set of three tennis balls (these are very used, so bring your own if you can).

The other free sports are Bocce ball and croquet. The Bocce ball set is missing a ball, and the croquet set has some broken pieces. The reason for bringing up these deficiencies is that Paradise Point seems to want to be thought of as a upscale resort, yet the fine details are ignored.

The rooms, as mentioned above, have been improved. However, don't expect bar soap -- just bath gel. Also, when they upgraded the rooms, they neglected to install electrical outlets in convenient locations. As opposed to many hotels that are adding outlets for their guests' electronic devices, the Paradise Point apparently doesn't see this as important. Also, housekeeping didn't show up one day.

The location is great and the grounds are very nice. Just don't expect the room and food quality to match.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We originally wanted to go to Hawaii, but couldn't afford to make the trip, but the San Diego weather and the Hawaii-like atmosphere at Paradise Point was fantastic.

First of all, we missed the big Spring Break crush of visitors, so our stay was nice and quiet. Everything was available to us. No crowds at the pools, the beach was all our own with fire pits for roasting marshmallows and the food in the restaurants was pretty good.

The location is ideal. Very close to Sea World, you could actually walk there if you wanted to, but I wouldn't recommend it if you have small children.

Our rooms were just right and what I expected. Everything was neat and clean with a nice lanai near the beach. We didn't have a bungalow on the beach, but we were very close.

We spent a week there with our family and enjoyed visiting; Legoland, The San Diego Zoo, Mission Beach, The Star Wars Convention in Anaheim and visiting with friends.

As a mom, it was perfect because the atmosphere is low key and everything you need is within easy reach. We were able to shop at a local store for our daily breakfast and lunches and enjoyed eating at the resort restaurants or on on the beach.

I highly recommend Paradise Point for family vacations and suggest the bungalows in the 400 region facing the beach or the 200 series. Next time we go to San Diego, we will stay there again.

Room Tip: Bring your mobile devices and enjoy the free wi-fi. Also, they offer high chairs, pack-n-plays fo...
Green Features: They do not change linens every day in order to conserve water, but they will change your towels. That's what I do at home too!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

It felt like a fancier Holiday Inn that is conveniently located near SeaWorld. Room was nice, bed was comfortable. Just wasn't what we were looking for. If you are used to staying in 4 or 5 star hotels -- this will not meet your expectations (we realize they are a 3 star hotel -- we just had high hopes).

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Olympic Valley, Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Had a great visit to a beautiful resort. Grounds were clean, room was what I expected and the food was well received. Location is perfect, close to downtown and also right next to beach. I highly recommend a stay at Paradise report.

Room Tip: great to stay on the beach.
Green Features: very environmentally friendly because of the recycling program the hotel takes part in.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
ParadisePointGM, General Manager at Paradise Point Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Chefriendy, thank you for the amazing review and recommendation of Paradise Point Resort & Spa! We’re pleased that our tropical setting, bungalow-style accommodations and unique location were highlights of your visit. We hope you’ll have the chance to come back and enjoy them again in the future.

Best,
David Hall
Managing Director

Been to Paradise Point Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!