“Beautiful but expensive Great place for children” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Paradise Point Resort & Spa

You added Paradise Point Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Paradise Point Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1404 Vacation Road, San Diego, CA 92109 (Mission Bay Park)   |
Offers & Announcements
Save Up to 20% Off
Ranked #118 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“Beautiful but expensive Great place for children”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

The property is huge, well maintained and is easy to navigate. We rented two bungalows right on the beach.
They were refurbished and slightly larger than when we stayed at the property then called Vacation Village with our first child. It has been tremendously upgraded with many things that young children and families can do I think that the cost is very high. Noting that we had the best location but in a package whee we had to pay upfront and then couldn't change the dates of our reservations. There is free WiFi which is nice. However although the resort only has about 5 months to make the most of its offerings, more flexibility and more packages would help in the somewhat cusp dates for bookings.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a room that is away from the restaurants if you want quiet, same about the large...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
Portage, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at Paradise Point at least five times in the past decade, and it is definitely our favorite place to stay in San Diego (which in turn is our favorite place to go for vacations). Paradise Point is basically an island landscaped with palm trees, ponds and swimming pools. They have a few restaurants on site, tennis courts, sailboats for rent and other amenities, and pleasant activities such as feeding the ducks. We find it a great place to get away from things and just relax.

Over the years, we've tried some of the other hotels in San Diego, including the Kona Kai, the Catamaran and the Dana. We've enjoyed those vacations also, but we enjoy Paradise Point the best. Here are a few of the things we like:

(1) We like the bungalow style. Many of the other hotels we've visited are multi-story buildings that remind me a bit of apartments in New York. The facilities may be clean and pleasant, but basically you're riding an elevator up to the 10th or 12th floor and parking yourself there. At Paradise Point, each room is a ground-floor cottage, usually with a patio and wooden lawn chars in the back. My wife likes this because she can sit out on the patio and watch the ducks or read a book in the morning while I visit the gym.

(2) We like the pools. Some of the other hotels we've visited only have a single swimming pool, which is often crowded and sometimes not heated. Paradise Point has four pools which area nicely heated and spacious enough that crowding is rarely a problem. We also like the fact that one of the pools is for adults only. Paradise Point is a family-friendly resort, but sometimes we want to relax and swim without having to deal with screaming kids, and the adult pool lets us do that.

(3) We like the hotel grounds, which feel a bit like a public park or a Hawaiian grotto. The rooms themselves are comfortable, but we enjoy spending time wandering around, looking at the waterways, ducks, geese and other birds that are plentiful.

I've read some of the other reviews of Paradise Point and have seen some complaints that rooms have a "musty smell" or that the rooms are just "concrete boxes." In our experience the rooms have been spacious, clean, comfortable and well-maintained. During one visit, we were placed in a room that had a musty carpet, but after we complained to the front desk, they quickly found another room for us. Paradise Point is an island resort with lots of water nearby, so there are some aquatic odors, but we have never found them unpleasant -- to the contrary, we enjoy the atmosphere.

Some of the reviews have also complained about prices and the fact that Paradise Point charges for parking and some other services. It's true that Paradise Point is somewhat more expensive than some of the other places where we've stayed, but we think the overall experience is worth the extra money.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stayed at paradise point for a week in August and have to say we were disappointed. I booked the room on a luxury prepaid website and in all honesty if I hadn't prepaid for the week I probably would have checked out and gone closer to the beach. I stayed in a garden suite with my husband and daughter and we chose the resort because of its "luxury" amenities and because we liked the idea of having space to stretch out at night. The rooms smell musty and although they have been updated they are still not worth over $300 a night. The rooms are spacious: king bed, pullout sofa that I wouldn't dare open, a small kitchenette area and a bathroom in desperate need of renovation. The 5 pools are also in disrepair and seem to be more of a motel standard than what we expected. The views of mission bay are nice and the location of the "resort" was good, everywhere we went was only about 10-15 minutes away. We ordered two muffins and coffee one morning and were charged $25, a bit steep. Also parking is
$34 a night to park outside of your bungalow , no valet ... Also a bit steep considering the state of the hotel. I actually went to the gift shop on the second day
to purchase candles to try to get the musty dog smell out of the room. The pictures on the website are enticing and make the hotel look way better than it actually is, I don't think I would be as upset if I hadn't spent so much on the room. Overall though San Diego is a lovely city and we thoroughly enjoyed our trip we just didn't spend much time at the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
Winston Salem, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stayed here with my husband for 4 days in August. The grounds are beautiful. The hotel is located right on the water. There are atleast 3 pools, one with a hot tub. The restaurants are worth trying and the drinks were well made. We had lunch right on the water! And the food was great! The rooms are really nice looking and very spacious. There is a huge gift shop and bike rental.

There were a few disappointments- I waited atleast 30 minutes on line to check in. When we got to our room, there was alot of trash like popped balloons, napkins, wrappers in front of our room (I'm guessing the previous guests had a party the night before), our outside patio still had an old pizza box on it. I'm guessing the housekeeping doesn't touch the patio or any garbage outside near the entrance because the garbage stayed there the whole time we were there. The bathrooms need a serious renovation. Our tub wasn't draining well. And everyday we kept noticing dead bugs in our bathroom (Not sure if they were coming from the sink drain or through a vent, but we never left the door open.) There is a mandatory internet and fitness center charge of $19 a day. We didn't use the internet and fitness center, so it was disappointing to have that charge

I would not pay full price for this place (I was very lucky to get about half off through a website), but I did enjoy the services, food, and pools. I would come back and give this place another try. I would say the stay was between Average and Very Good.

Room Tip: Recommend trying to get a room near the water
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ParadisePointGM, General Manager at Paradise Point Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dani, we’re delighted to hear your thoughts on our lush grounds, bay front accommodations, and array of dining options. It is unfortunate that you had a few issues regarding the maintenance and cleanliness of your guestrooms; we sincerely apologize for these shortcomings. We are pleased to let you know we’re currently in the process of changing our housekeeping provider to elevate the level of service we provide to guests. The feedback provided by you and other guests is greatly appreciated as it helps us to make improvements like this. We hope that you’ll stay with us in the near future to experience these upgrades first-hand, as well as have the chance to take advantage of the various benefits of the Passport to Paradise.

Best,
David Hall, General Manager
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I would agree with all the previous reviews of this resort. Make no mistake this hotel is not the Grand Del Mar, LaCosta Resort, Hotel Del Coronado or the Hyatt Aviara. If you are expecting a resort similar to these properties, you will be disappointed! This resort seems to have a cult following with many people returning year after year. They seem very pleased with the resort and return year after year. There were a number of large groups who came equipped with BBQ's and coolers.

The grounds are very lush which I suspect is the source of the damp smell in the rooms. The rooms try to honour the Mexican heritage which means they are not up to modern standards. I don't mind the tile and hardwood floors as you are tracking in sand, leaves and duck poo. I can't image any type of flooring staying clean in this type of environment. Carpet would be a true disaster. There are five pools, however, they are not monitored and they can be out of control at times. I blame the parents of the children, not the resort for their behaviour. The nights can get a bit wild with some beer cans and broken bottles visible in the morning. It might be a good idea to have regular security patrols throughout the night. One morning there was a patio chair in one of the lagoons. The resort has numerous standing water features which the ducks love. People love to feed the ducks which means duck poo is very common. I would not say the water quality in Mission Bay is great for swimming which means I would stick to one of the pools or travel to the ocean.

San Diego is not blessed with an abundance of new high quality resorts. I would suggest that a business traveller would prefer a downtown hotel or something in the Gaslamp Quarter. Many of the newer hotels are found in hotel circle which is a uninspiring collection of hotels away from the beach near a major freeway. Many of the hotels near the beach or Mission Bay are older hotels and similar to Paradise Point. It is time for a major hotel chain to build a mega resort on the beach similar to the newer hotels in Hawaii or Mexico. At no time did I confuse this resort with a hotel in Hawaii.

The staff were friendly and they seem to try to take care of the resort, however, there are many challenges which makes this a difficult task. They need some music around the pool, a lifeguard to take control of the pool and an activities director to bring some life into the resort. I would suggest that you consider your needs and wants carefully as this may prevent disappointment. In the end there is nothing that will bring me back to the resort, but I don't believe there are many better options in the area unless you want to pay a much higher price. I love San Diego, Seaworld, Old Town, zoo, Legoland, etc, I just struggle to find the perfect hotel.

Room Tip: I think you need to pay for an upgraded room in order to avoid disappointment. This does not mean pa...
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We spent 6 days at Paradise Point as part of a trip to the US taking in Anaheim and Las Vegas too. Overall, we enjoyed PP but I can see some of the issues highlighted by other guests might be a cause for concern. The pool was great for the kids as was the beach and other amenities. Our Lanai garden room was adequate - in need of a little updating, especially the bathroom and it wasn't especially spacious. The pictures on the website make this place look a little more special than it actually is and if I were here as a couple I think I would be disappointed - lots of children and familiies so no "quiet getaway" but this didn't bother us since we had 2 kids of our own! There seems to be an issue with the resort fees too which is creeping in to many hotel bookings but our fees were already covered as part of our holiday package with Virgin. I would however been very annoyed had I had to pay for this on arrival just for use of the internet etc. Overall though, it is a really nice place to stay (save for a bit of tidying up needed) and we had a really good time. Location is fabulous too - really handy for all the major attractions. For anyone who has been to Center Parcs in the UK, this is a similar place (bungalows nestled amongst the vegetation etc) except for much better weather and location! I would recommend this place for families but perhaps not couples (unless you maybe travel outside of school holiday season!).

Tustin, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

When we arrived at Paradise Point on Thursday afternoon we were greeted by the hotel staff in a friendly and helpful manner. We checked in and we were impressed by our garden bungalow room. We had a view we could never forget. In front of our room sat a pond filled with ducks, fish, and turtles. What a relaxing way to start our vacation. As we walked around the 44 acre property we were amazed by the many pools and different restaurants this hotel offered. It was nice to know that we had options on where to eat and what activities to take part in. We enjoyed the water taxi to Sea World. This allowed us back entry into Sea World and a quick departure from the park. Also, a day on the Sea-Doo was unforgettable. Mission bay was an amazing from the water side. A nice relaxing day on the bay was much needed after our three day adventure at Paradise Point. The staff was more then accommodating and we highly recommend this resort to anyone looking to vacation in San Diego. Thank you Paradise Point for giving us an unforgettable three day vacation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Paradise Point Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!