“Fun Weekend, Great Location, Island Feel, BUT Needs Updates” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Paradise Point Resort & Spa

You added Paradise Point Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Paradise Point Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1404 Vacation Road, San Diego, CA 92109 (Mission Bay Park)   |
Offers & Announcements
Save Up to 20% Off
Ranked #120 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersBronze level
Los Angeles, California
“Fun Weekend, Great Location, Island Feel, BUT Needs Updates”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We visited Paradise Point for Father's Day weekend this time. It was more crowded than our last visit, but we still found a well appointed bungalow close to the beach/bay. Last visit we were on the beach. It really did not make much of a difference. The rooms are quite nice, hardwood looking tiled planked floor, updated resort feel furniture, walk in closet, safe capable of holding all laptops, iPads, etc.... The bathroom leaves much to be desired - low water pressure, faucet literally hanging out of the bath tub below, curtain on a rod in this day and age???? The mattress on the bed was also way too soft and uncomfortable for me and my husband.

The resort does charge $34 a day to park your car PLUS a $19 Resort Fee -- it is usually our experience that the Resort Fee is about $25 and includes your parking, internet etc..... When you calculate the taxes with those two fees -- it literally adds about $57/day to your daily rate!!! We do not question the fee because we have no choice! It is just that when a resort charges such exorbitant fee, you also expect a perfectly manicured property - not the case here. When we saw lots of bird poop on our adirondack chairs on our patio and a dangling bath faucet - you wonder where the money is going? We do appreciate the assigned parking spot right by your bungalow.

The resort offers lots of activities for the young ones. There are boating activities at their own resort marina, miniature golf, geese feeding (by purchasing duck and geese food pellets at the general store) which we did, strolls around the lagoon, swimming in their calm bay, fireplaces to light your own fires and do BBQs if you like, neighboring park etc.....

The Barefoot Grill is also good. They were friendly and gave us great service. We were seated with a view of the marina and a pretty waterfall. The food was good also. We also rented a surrey bike to ride around the island which was lots of fun. They also have individual bikes for rent. We also enjoyed swimming in one of the smaller pools which was much more peaceful than the largest pool which was way too crowded. All of their swimming pools have a walk in shallow end with a slow descent instead of stairs which is great for kids.

We may return for a weekend, but would rather wait until the resort sees a large overhaul of renovations.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (688)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I blindly booked this hotel on the same day as our stay through the Hotels Tonight Ap. After a day at Sea World, it turned out to fit our needs perfectly. First, we got upgraded to a garden view bungalow. From the lowest grade bungalow that overlooked the driving path/road. Our room was small but newly re-done. If we had stayed more than one night, I would have upgraded us to a suite with a kitchen. The hotel has a beach shack chic feel. Nice, but not too nice. My kids (2 under 10) liked the pool area. I liked walking on the beach. That there are fire pits along the beach is a nice touch. There were plenty of groups "camped" out along the sand enjoying themselves. I would love to go back and do the same. It seemed to me like everyone there was a return visitor.
The only negative is that our bedroom wall was paper thin. It was hard to fall asleep since I could clearly hear the family in the room next to us chatting and laughing. I will bring ear plugs next time.
It is nice that you can park your car right in front of your room. But because of this, there are cars constantly on the go. It makes it hard to walk around freely with kids.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
ParadisePointGM, General Manager at Paradise Point Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Flaura, we appreciate the review on your summer vacation at Paradise Point. We’re delighted you ended up at our island resort after spending the day next door at SeaWorld and it’s great to hear your family enjoyed our pools, beach, and convenient doorstep parking. We look forward to having you come down from L.A. again soon, when you’ll have even more time to enjoy our sandy beaches and bonfire pits.

Best,
David Hall, General Manager
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed here for 4 days recently, in a bayside bungalow, plenty of room to move around, with a kitchenette. Had smores while bonfiring on the bay, beautiful sunsets, tranquil strolls through the lush grounds, or if you prefer, just call the bell staff and they will whisk you to the pools or spa or store or restaurants on-site via a super-cool Hummer Golf cart (we tipped them each time). They will even help you locate firewood and start your fire. Nicely decorated rooms, tiki torches galore, bikes for rent, beautiful marina where you can rent a boat or jetski. Hard to find time to take advantage of all this place has to offer, as one tends to want to explore the city. We have stayed here about 7-8 times, its wonderful each time, and we never stay anywhere else. We love that you get to park right outside your own room with a dedicated spot.

Room Tip: Tell the check-in staff what types of amenities you plan on using, so they may place you closer(i.e...
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I don’t usually write reviews, but I use Tripadvisor so much, especially for my visit to Paradise Point, so it’s my turn to contribute!

After reading so many mixed reviews, I was nervous booking my family trip here. But at the end I decided to take a chance, and based on everyone’s tips, knew to do certain things, and expect others. Yes, I knew about the parking fee ($32/day) and you get a designated parking spot pretty much in front of your room (in my case anyways).

I had room 221 for 6 nights, which was a Bayside Junior Suite. It was very pricey (400+/night). However, I wanted to make sure I had the little kitchenette and access to the beach. With 2 small children, I wanted hassle free access without having to walk too far to the beach. The room itself was great. We had a king bed and a pull out couch. It came with a dining table with 4 chairs, a small bridge, microwave and coffee machine. Short walk to the pool, and bay view. Pool was clean and great for small kids. There are 5 pools on the resort so not everyone was cramped into one. We also rented the surrey for $25/hr. We were told that we could only stay on the resort, but the bike guy told me we can take an outer path to the island and you pretty much bike by the public beaches, and go under couple bridges and circle back to the resort. That was a fun ride. I read a review that someone wrote they only needed 20 mins to do the whole resort. I bet they didn’t take this path! So all in all, I was happy with our room. It was pretty up to date with the exception of the bath tub. It could use a little TLC. The set up of the bathroom and closet was good too. You have a door to the sinks, and a connecting door to the bathtub/toilet, and then another connecting door to the big walk in closet with a safe. So different people could use it at different times.

Like other reviews, it’s hard to get anything to eat besides the onsite restaurants. We visited them all. Good food and resort prices. The night we went to Baleen they were super backed up, took forever to be seated. Food came out VERY slowly but they were all delicious. My husband ordered the pork chop and it must have sat on the heat lamp for a while, since it was all dry. They comped us for the pork chops, and also gave us a free dessert.

Room service was also disappointing. Ordered two chocolate milks, only one came. Ordered coffee, came with no cream. Ordered pancakes, came with no syrup or butter. Spoke to the manager and she promised to take off the pancakes. During check out I looked and sure enough they didn’t. The front desk person took off $25 for me.

So yeah, the food was a little hit or miss, but one thing I will say is: everyone that works for the resort excelled at customer service.

Will I come back again? Probably not. It was a lot of money and I feel I should have gotten more. However, at the same time, I knew going in it was overpriced, but I got what I wanted, which was a nice place with easy beach access.

Also, Seaworld access is easy. Water taxi is the way to go. You leave from the marina (between barefoot and baleen), get in directly into Seaworld backdoor by the Cirque der mar theater. It's $10/adult roundtrip and $6 for children.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for bayside.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Southern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

On my last review late last year I had a horrible experience at this hotel. This time was much better. My room was vastly different in terms of noise, my room did not face the parking lot and due to my previous visit, they upgraded me to a better one. I would have rated it a five rating (excellent) if it weren't for the blood stains on the sheets, the maids disturbing us while sleeping in, and my son shaking the strangely unstable bed every time he moved. I highly advise travelers to make arrangements in their schedule to just stay at the hotel for a day instead of rushing around to other activities like I did with my kids. There are nice beaches nearby and pools, activities, etc. In addition to La Jolla, trendy restaurants, etc. My kids and I crammed in two days at legoland then the last two days at sea world and the zoo's. Too much and too exhausting. I should have taken a day to relax and enjoy the property so don't make my mistake. Lastly, thank you to the wonderful man who hauled all my stuff into the room, making several trips and making sure I did not get lost!

Galt, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed here for 4 days while visiting San Diego. On the good side, there were tons of things to keep you busy at the resort if you traveled all the way to San Diego to spend your time there all day. However, we were gone everyday doing the many things San Diego has to offer. It is super close to Sea World, only about a 2 minute drive, which was nice.
I would not recommend this facility and will not be staying here again for the following reasons:
The standard double queen room we had was small, had a refridgerator that felt luke warm, only 2 nightsand drawers to put our clothes (we are a family of 5 with a teenage daughter so that obviously didnt work.) A lightbulb was out in the bathroom and porch and the toilet was not secured to the floor, it shifted everytime you sat down. After spending all day at Sea World, we were in need of bottled water, but since the only vending machines are located inside the pool areas that close at 10pm, our only option was the $4 bottle of water provided in the room, which we couldnt even make cold since the fridge was not working. There are no windows in the rooms, so to feel the nice San Diego air in the evening, you have to either sleep with the door wide open are turn the air conditioner down to 70 degrees and listen to it kick on and off all night. Our first day there we rented one of their 2 row surreys (think a bicycle built for 5) to tour the facility while we waited for our room to be ready. The cost was $35 for an hour which we only used for about 30 minutes before we realized that we could have just walked to see everything. What a waste of money. They do not offer any free breakfast or drink tickets...pretty much EVERYTHING at this place cost money. We went to use the lookout point tower to watch the Sea World fireworks on our last night to find out that it was closed for maintenance. But, by far the worst part of the entire stay was that after paying $200 per night for these "accomodations" I also had to pay $32 per night to park my car. I couldnt beleive it, we had a better experience at the Comfort Inn in Pismo Beach a few days prior, at the cost of only $99 per night.

Room Tip: The only tip I would have would be that if you can afford a room with bedrooms, do that. Oh and figu...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lori, thank you for taking the time to write a comprehensive review about your recent stay with us. It seems various portions of your stay did not meet your expectations and for that we are sincerely sorry. Please accept our apologies for any frustration or disappointment caused by the issues you encountered. We are constantly striving to improve our services and facilities, and it is through customer feedback such as yours that we are able to address issues and take corrective action. Again, thank you for your feedback.

Best,
David Hall, General Manager
Aurora, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My wife, son, daughter-in-law and grandkids visited this resort las week. Although we had a great time; I was not greatly impressed with the resort in terms of overall cleanliness, and general accommodations.

It is important to understand that this is on an island - you can't just walk down the street to a McDonald's or other restaurant - so, unless you have transportation, you can feel a little isolated. There are only two restaurants and a pizza place on the island. One restaurant was pretty "high rent". Cabs are available, but would recommend your own or a rental car to take advantage of the other sights in San Diego. If you have kids, don't miss Lego Land! Sea World was close by and also fun - by the way, you could go by water taxi from the resort. A trip to "Old Town" is also worth it for some good, inexpensive, mexican food. We also enjoyed, Sea Port Village, in the marina area in downtown San Diego - shops, restaurants, etc. For Seal watching, go to La Jolla just up the road.

We regard to the resort, on the plus side, the swimming pools were great. They had several ponds and water features that were enjoyable (kids got a chance to feed the ducks and the fish). there were some nice walking/jogging areas available. You could rent bikes and seqways to see the area (I did feel these were a little expensive, however) The restaurant and bars were very nice; though, again, I thought the food was a little expensive - but may be in line with California standards.

On the minus side, we noticed very little effort to clean the pool area - that bothered us a lot. Towels were "piled up" in one area for several days, debris, here and there - with no attempt to keep the property up as I would have expected. If you are used to a nice resort in the Caribbean, you may be a little disappointed. They need to update the property and keep it cleaner.

The staff was friendly and responsive to requests.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Paradise Point Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!