“Needs an update” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Paradise Point Resort & Spa

You added Paradise Point Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Paradise Point Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1404 Vacation Road, San Diego, CA 92109 (Mission Bay Park)   |
Special Offer
Save Up to 20% Off
Ranked #119 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersBronze level
Aurora, OH
“Needs an update”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My wife, son, daughter-in-law and grandkids visited this resort las week. Although we had a great time; I was not greatly impressed with the resort in terms of overall cleanliness, and general accommodations.

It is important to understand that this is on an island - you can't just walk down the street to a McDonald's or other restaurant - so, unless you have transportation, you can feel a little isolated. There are only two restaurants and a pizza place on the island. One restaurant was pretty "high rent". Cabs are available, but would recommend your own or a rental car to take advantage of the other sights in San Diego. If you have kids, don't miss Lego Land! Sea World was close by and also fun - by the way, you could go by water taxi from the resort. A trip to "Old Town" is also worth it for some good, inexpensive, mexican food. We also enjoyed, Sea Port Village, in the marina area in downtown San Diego - shops, restaurants, etc. For Seal watching, go to La Jolla just up the road.

We regard to the resort, on the plus side, the swimming pools were great. They had several ponds and water features that were enjoyable (kids got a chance to feed the ducks and the fish). there were some nice walking/jogging areas available. You could rent bikes and seqways to see the area (I did feel these were a little expensive, however) The restaurant and bars were very nice; though, again, I thought the food was a little expensive - but may be in line with California standards.

On the minus side, we noticed very little effort to clean the pool area - that bothered us a lot. Towels were "piled up" in one area for several days, debris, here and there - with no attempt to keep the property up as I would have expected. If you are used to a nice resort in the Caribbean, you may be a little disappointed. They need to update the property and keep it cleaner.

The staff was friendly and responsive to requests.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (689)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I'm a local San Diegan, writing to rave about the fabulous Paradise Point's Barefoot Bar & Grill on Sunday summer afternoons, when, from 12-4 pm, a live band plays out on a stage with the beautiful bay, sailboats and tropical landscape as the backdrop. The varied and tasty menu has something for everyone--including me as a vegetarian and my sweetheart who loves his salmon! A big plus for us is that the chef and staff are very accommodating to special menu requests. There's space in front of the band for dancing and that's what makes me rate Barefoot Bar at 5 stars. We don't know of any other spot in San Diego where you can be bayside/oceanside, listen to live music, eat a lovely meal and dance your heart away! We feel like we're away on vacation in some subtropical paradise. I'd like to give a special shout out to two exceptional waiters: Isabella and Garrett! They both have that "something special" that you can't fake--enthusiastic, friendly, genuinely caring and authentic relating, plus exceptional service! When you go, be sure to ask if you can sit in their section--you'll be glad you did. I just wish Paradise Point would extend their band season to year-round. (It's scheduled to end at the end of September.) Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ParadisePointGM, General Manager at Paradise Point Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for writing a review on Sunday Fun Day at our Barefoot Bar & Grill! We’re delighted to hear you’re a frequent Sunday afternoon visitor and enjoy our weekly summer concert series on the bay. We greatly appreciate the shoutouts to Isabella and Garrett and have passed along your pleasant comments to them and the entire Barefoot Bar & Grill team. We hope to see you again next Sunday for more dancing and dining!

Best,
David Hall, General Manager
Long Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This place is ideal for family fun and relaxing. Hotel on the beach with several pools and tons of activities like bike rental, mini golf, horsehoes, tennis, etc. It is not luxurious at all though it is pricey due to beach frontfront location. Loved the beachfront room so we could relax on patio while kids played in sand and calm water all day. Room had a kitchenette area which was great. We never wanted to leave resort. The hotel market was really limited and i wish it had more food options. Stop at grocery store to stock up so you dont have to buy everything at resort. Rooms had fridges and microwave. Cant wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for bayfront...worth the upgrade fee
Horseheads, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

First off, I will say that we didn't use many of the features of this resort. We had purchased the Go San Diego card, so we spent most of our 4-night stay visiting various local attractions, not at the resort. It was a good thing this was our plan, since the resort was a disappointment and I wouldn't have wanted to spend the bulk of our time there.

In retrospect, we should have found a nice hotel with a decent pool for our two teen daughters to enjoy in our downtime. Also, I would stay away from the Mission Beach area altogether, since the beach itself wasn't that great.

Check-in was a fiasco. We checked in on a Sunday, arriving at 2:30 hoping for early check-in. Our room wasn't ready, so they took my number and told me they would call. At about 4:15, we went back to check and told that Housekeeping was in our room and they would let us in after a "quality check". We finally got in at 5 PM. I asked the desk person point-blank what type of compensation I would get for having to wait so long, and she said "there's nothing I can do; 4:00 is when check-in starts". I probably should have elevated my concern to the manager, but after waiting 2 1/2 hours, we just wanted to get in our room. When we did finally get in, I found the previous tenant's takeout leftovers in the mini-fridge, so I guess that escaped their quality check.

The room was a garden lanai with 2 queens. Supposedly the rooms had been recently renovated, but as far as I could tell, the only things "new" in the room were the LCD TV, the floor (wood-look ceramic tile), and a coat of awful yellow paint throughout the room and bathroom.

Overall, the room actually *looked* fairly nice, with a modern look and a good layout and size. However, we found a few major problems. First, walking barefoot on the floor turned all of our feet black, so we ended up wearing shoes most of the time. Second, the shower water pressure was pathetic - really just a trickle with no pressure to speak of. Third, the room was so humid that nothing would dry out. We ran the AC the whole week and it definitely cooled the room effectively, but the humidity never came down. My wife hung up a damp swimsuit on Sunday and it had still not dried out on Wednesday - I am not kidding! We ended up hanging our clothes up on the porch (real classy, I know). Speaking of the porch, it was not a porch or deck in any sense of the word. It was simply the section of concrete walk leading up to the door, with a couple of dirty Adirondack chairs added. There was a short privacy fence on both sides to separate the porch from the neighbors, but there was no privacy at all, since people could walk by on the path that was 10 feet away. We had unit 156, which was in a 1-story building with many similar units, located on the pool side and the parking lot side. At least we were on the pool side.

When we saw the prices for bike rentals and mini-golf, we decided against trying either of those. I had been led to believe they were included, but upon re-reading the fine print, I realized they weren't. Mini-golf is something like $10 per person, and the bikes were $25/hr for a 2-person surrey (the double-wide bikes featured in their advertising) and $35/hr for a 4-person surrey. The regular bikes weren't much cheaper. The daily resort fee was listed as both $32 and $34 on the same confirmation e-mail. I was charged $34. The parking fee was listed as both $17 and $19. At check-in, I was told it was $19, but when I pointed out the $17 figure, she said she would honor it. In the end, my final bill showed the $19 figure, so obviously the promise was forgotten.

The on-site shop was a similar ripoff. A S'mores "kit" in the store was $25, not including firewood! Also, driving to Sea World and parking for $15 was much cheaper than using the resort's $10/person boat ride.

I can't comment on the restaurants or bars. We didn't try any of the dining options on site, since I was annoyed at the check-in debacle and the outrageous prices of everything else. I don't even think we purchased any drinks or coffee while at the resort.

We did go to the main pool a couple of times. It was a zoo on Sunday afternoon, but less crowded during the week. It was basically underwhelming.

The grounds looked OK, but were not very well-maintained. The pond was covered in green scum. The observation tower was "closed for maintenance" during our entire stay. I never even found the basketball, bocce, or any of the other "free" things. I think you would need to spend more time exploring the island to find this stuff. Admittedly, we didn't take the time to do this.

We would not go back, nor would we recommend Paradise Point to anyone else. After leaving here, we stayed in Indian Wells at a Hyatt Regency. For about half the price, we had a much nicer room, dining, and pool experience. While it wasn't paradise, it was much closer to it than Paradise Point!

Room Tip: Many of the garden lanai rooms face the parking area. Ask for one on the pool side if you book this...
N. California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Family came here for a conference. Although the location can't be beat, the room itself and its amenities are lacking. Beds are not very comfortable, the bathroom toiletries like shampoo were cheap. Air conditioner in room noisy and old, tv reception by satellite was poor, the hair dryer burnt up literally. All that being said, the guys at the marina were great when we took a sailboat out for a sail and the pizza place was great. Staff all very friendly everywhere we go. Would be a great place if they weren't so skimpy on amenities.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate the review of your visit to Paradise Point, and regret to hear you were disappointed with your accommodations. We aim to provide a comfortable, pleasant experience both in and outside the rooms and apologize this was not the case during your stay. We’re glad that despite the issues with your room, you still enjoyed your time at our new Caveman Pizza Company and sailing on surrounding Mission Bay. We hope that these aspects of your stay, along with our friendly service and unbeatable location will make you consider staying with us again during your next visit to San Diego.

Best,
David Hall, General Manager
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Lovely place to stay , veg food is an issue , but they have a cool pizza place in the resort. Good place to rent out boats for a day available also they have cool water taxis going towards sea world etc.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
abc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We did a 3 night stay vacation with a 2 year old. The location is great close to Sea World and on a peninsula with it's own beach. The rooms are a little dated but decent for a little get away. The pools were heated, nice and clean.

Room Tip: Try to get rooms that are beachside... but it's pricer.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Paradise Point Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!