“great value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #237 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
jamul,ca
“great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

I've been coming to this super8 for a couple years now and have seen good improvment under the new mangment. great front desk staff and freindly house keeping. great value for your money esspesially being close to the beach and downtown. WILL DEFINETLY COME BACK !!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
shannonlorr
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

This place is absolutely the most disrespectful place. I booked the hotel and needed to cancel my reservations because I am stationed at Edwards AFB. We had an aircraft mishap where we had an airplace crash! A T-38 jet! I am a medic in the USAF and an EMT I had to respond to the incident and they would not refund my money back to me. They told me that I was being charged 100%. That is absolutely rediculous. I am being punished and being charged because I am in the military and couldnt help the call. That is ridiculous! They are not supportive of our military and that is ridiculous. I am absolutely amazed as people can not be supportive of their military. I will tell every person I know NEVER to use this place. If you use this hotel you are not supporting your military! And of all things it is Memorial Day weekend the day you should be respecting your military personnel. That is so ridiculous!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
McAllen, TX
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

Online pictures were misleading. Broken locks and windows. unfriendly night staff. Had 7 (ages 5-16) with us, but this was not a family hotel. Not a very good location. reviews on website we booked through were misleading (must have been the hotel owner who wrote the good reviews) would never recommend to anyone.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Birmingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2008

Now the hotel itself wasn't especially bad, the room was large and clean, the staff were friendly and helpful and the complimentary breakfast was good with a variety of items on offer.
It's not in a good area though. At night there were kids hanging around on the car park. We went out for food nearby and felt very uncomfortable walking to and from the car both on the hotel car park and also at the pizza shop. And it wasn't until the following morning when we opened the curtains that we noticed how the window frame was pulled out of shape from where someone had tried to force it open from the outside.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Montreal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2007

Located in a sketchy part of town (but close to the trolley to go downtown). got into the room which was a normal motel room and went to the bathroom (which had a sanitary seal on it) lifted the lid and there were OH YES spots of #2 on the NON CLEANED TOILET SEAT. The night staff was on the phone and acted as if we bothered them, the morning staff was very nice and helpful. Even with the air conditioner the room was very humid and smelled of mold.. would not recommend this motel.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sebring FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2006

We travel all over the United States. This place was very dirty and my husband and I both contracted a bad case of scabies here. (With a 7-day infestation period, the doctor pinpointed it to the very middle of our 11 day stay!) If the staff spent as much time attending to housekeeping issues as they do standing outside smoking, this place would be WAY BETTER OFF! I am still waiting on payment for medical bills. Photo online must be OLD! Awnings were falling off. Laundry was extremely dirty with sticky floors. I washed things down with bleach water so I could fold my clothes in there. Sold our RV last year due to gas prices, but seriously considering another one now!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Scabies in the beds
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away. Far away.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2006

Let me start by saying, "We got more than what we bargained for!" This motel was literally the filthiest place we have ever been to. Upon entering, the hallways were dirty and had a horrible smell of stale cigarettes.
Our room not only had a horrible sewage smell but the carpets were so dirty that we had to wear our flip flops to keep from touching the floors. The beds were so uncomfortable and you can actually feel the springs digging through your skin, no joke!
I refused to bring all of our luggage into the room because I did not want our clothing to smell like the room and because it was not a place I would consider getting comfortable in. The bathroom was full of a sewage smell also. The shower curtain was slimy! OMG, and the bathroom floor, repulsive! Dirty!
I could not wait to check out the next day. We would have checked out sooner; however, we had a 400 mile trip in our vehicle the following morning.
The pictures that are shown on the Motel 8 website are misleading!! We did not feel that the staff were fabulous nor were they incredibly helpful.
The parking lot was compact and does not accommodate all the guests. The place felt very unsafe and we felt the need to check on our vehicle several times throughout the night.
Avoid this motel! It is unsanitary, unsafe and outdated!

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Super 8 San Diego/Imperial Beach? Share your experiences!