“Mixed review” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa

You added Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1775 East Mission Bay Drive, San Diego, CA 92109 (Mission Bay Park)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
2X Points Package!
Ranked #113 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Balboa Island, CA
“Mixed review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

I booked my stay on Hotwire. My stay was determined by price and ratings. I attended a workshop at another 4 star hotel nearby The posted rate for the other hotel was $130 avg per night. I paid $99 per night, plus $22 per night parking fee and $10.95 per night internet connection which I was told is not wireless because the hotel is too old and the cost to install wireless in every room is prohibitive. The other hotel didn't charge for parking or internet nor did a local 2 star hotel where one of the other attendees stayed. Also, you could hear people using the toilet in adjacent rooms. My 'bargain' room overlooked the freeway which could be heard at all hours of the day and night. I think it is time for some soundproofing. On a positive note, the staff is great, the grounds are beautiful, beds very comfortable and the food delicious.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
  • Polish first
Glendale, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2009

I am a HHonors Diamond VIP, so I used some points to take my family to San Diego for the weekend. We had stayed at this property a couple of years ago and were not impressed. We had debated whether or not to re-visit this time.

We were very pleased with the remodel that has been completed since our last trip. The room was an upgraded lanai room on the 2nd floor. The extra floor space and vaulted ceiling made the room feel spacious. A large flat screen TV was nice, but the programming selection was pretty sparse. (Not that we watched much TV...). Bathroom fixtures were nice and new, not fancy. Beds and linens were comfortable. The staff was pleasant and efficient.

As this was a rewards stay, I can't comment on price to value, but we were happy and will stay here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Durham NH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2009

This Hilton has beautiful grounds but the rooms are dated. I stayed in 543 in a roomy villa room. I am enjoying a nice view of the bay, but the room just feels dated. Also, you will need to dirve to any restaurants.

They also charge $20/day for the car and $11/day for internet. It's just OK and I won't rush back.

The good news is that it is very convenient to I5 and it is very close to both Sushi Ota and the original Rubios. There is also a nice walking path connected to the hotel and the pool is very nice.

It you get a very good deal, then this is OK. If not, then I would hesitate to pay full price.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for two nights on a recent business trip. I booked a tower room on the hotel's website, but when I checked in, I was given room 221 in one of the villas (a nice upgrade). The room was on the second floor, looking out on the water & had an amazing view of the sunset. The room was clean, updated & nicely decorated. The Crabtree & Evelyn toiletries at the Hilton hotels are always nice.

As mentioned in other reviews, the hotel is not close to any restaurants or to downtown, so a car or a taxi are necessary if you want to leave the property. A taxi to/from the airport runs $20-25 each way, depending on the taxi company. I also found that airport shuttles vary in price significantly. It was $17 from the airport to the hotel & only $9 from the hotel to the airport with a different company.

The hotel staff were friendly & helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay here again in the future.

• Liked — The view form my room at sunset & the service
  • Disliked — no convenient off-property restaurants nearby
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Kansas City, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2009

Stayed at the Hilton Resort for a short conference in January, 2009. My room overlooked Mission Bay and Seaworld in a newly renovated guest room located in one of the villas. I was able to check into my room before noon. Accomodations and grounds (including pool) were beautiful. I didn't have time to use it, but the hotel also had a great workout facility with a steam room.

The only problem with this resort, if there is one, is it is not located close to any restaurants, so you are captive to the hotel's dining facilities unless you have a car. Also, parking will cost you $22/night if you do have a vehicle. However, to keep that in context, a short cab ride to Old Town or beyond will cost you about $15 plus tip for each way, more than offsetting the parking cost. A taxi to the airport is $25 plus tip one way.

The good news is the hotel's restaurant food and service is excellent if you choose to eat there. Breakfast and lunch are pricey ($15-$20/person) but dinner prices were very reasonable.

I really must compliment every employee I came in contact with at this property . . . from the front desk to the concierce, from the bellhop to the maintenance people, from the housekeeper to the restaurant staff. EVERYONE was professional, courteous and out-going in their hospitality.

It was a truly great hotel. Don't let the few negative reviews here convince you otherwise.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Santa Fe NM
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

My husband and I booked a standard room in Nov. through Orbitz with a non refundable, what we thought was a good, rate.for a trip Dec. 30-Jan.2 We were told we could not request a room till ck. in at 4pm.Got there at 3:56pm and were told all the waterfront rms. were taken.We were told they had all been taken by earlier ck. ins. We were told we couldn't ck in early.I asked how this happened, and they simply shrugged and said "sorry." We got stuck in a rm. for 3 nights overlooking the frwy and next to the ice machine and elevator that made noise all night long.Our last night we were talking to a couple at the bar that got a rate $50 less than ours(looking over the Bay). The restaurant was pricey, but very good with excellent service. We will not be going back,especially since there are so many hotels to choose from.I will return to ACQUA though.

• Liked — Restaurant
  • Disliked — Room location
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

Nice, well-decorated rooms. Good pool area. Lots of on site activity options. If you don't know San Diego and will be at the hotel a lot this is an excellent spot. It is close to Sea World. It is not on the ocean but rather Mission Bay which has no surf. The sailing and jet skiing are great here. One down side is there aren't close restaurants within walking distance. You'll have to drive to eat or stay in the resort which charges a bundle for breakfast and lunch.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!