“Pleasant” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa

You added Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1775 East Mission Bay Drive, San Diego, CA 92109 (Mission Bay Park)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
2X Points Package
Ranked #113 of 272 Hotels in San Diego
“Pleasant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Pleasant stay at the Hilton. I booked our stay at the last minute...literally while sitting in the parking lot. Some minor annoyances, i.e. had a pay a $35 parking fee…why? There was plenty of parking. I hate the whole resort thing…they make it sound like they are doing you a favor by charging you a resort fee... as though its an option (ala you get internet, use of the gym, etc.) but it’s not. They aren’t the only ones who do this,m so I can’t fault them for that. Once in my room, it occurred to me that I had not let them know that I was a AAA member. I called to the front desk and was politely told that I had to disclose that at the time I booked the room (10 minutes earlier) as; they “had a limited number of AAA-rated rooms.) Frankly, even with Comicon coming to town in two days, they didn’t seem excessively crowded. I wanted to ask, “So do you have any AAA rooms left?” Somehow I don’t think it would have mattered…that’s Hilton for you…they nickel and dime you to death.
The room itself was well appointed and comfortable. There was plenty of room for 3 adults. We visited and purchased snacks, etc. from the onsite the gift shop, which was well stocked. Everyone we encountered was friendly and helpful. My son complained that the toilet was too low for his taste, but he’s 6’1”. It really didn’t bother the rest of us.

I did order the tuna tar tar (I think that’s what it was called). It was quite delicious. It along with the basket of bread made for a perfect sized light meal. All in all, a good stay but I will only stay there again if I can get the room cheaper.

Tip: Take the 59 mile scenic tour of San Diego. I’ve been to SD 200 times (at least) and saw things I had never seen before. Very enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
HiltonMissionBay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
We're so glad that you enjoyed the flavors and signature hospitality of our site, and we thank you for sharing this kind feedback with us. We also appreciate your concerns regarding our resort fee, and we understand how this was unsettling for you. That said, we do hope that you were able to enjoy some of the many amenities this nominal charge affords our guests, and we certainly hope for the chance to welcome you back and to showcase the continued evolution of our offerings. Please be sure to reach out if there's anything we can do to facilitate a more comfortable return.

Don Dennis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
  • Polish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

My wife and I have stayed at this property on several occasions and have always enjoyed our stay for family get togethers. During the summer nights, the fireworks from Seaworld are easily visible. The property is well-maintained and the staff have always been responsive to our requests. There are a variety of rentals including Kayaks, Wave-runners, and boats. With grandkids, the rooms with adjacent fire pits are good for supervised s'mores construction. You can buy s'more kits there along with the requisite firewood.

On our most recent occasion, we staff go above and beyond to make a first-class visit. Our grandson lost his kite on the beach in front of the property. My wife found the kite hanging from a tree but the string was still stuck in the palm tree. When we asked the front desk if they knew where we could get string, Schyler at the front desk produced not just some string, but another kite as well. April at the front desk was also great in helping us with upgrading our room providing the opportunity to see what options were available.

We routinely dined at the restaurant and enjoyed the seared tuna salad for lunch and the eggs Benedict with crab for breakfast. Try their version of a Moscow Mule from the bar. Very refreshing for the summer. I missed the copper cup, but apparently patrons had been rather forgetful in returning them to the bar. The bar staff were fast and efficient not only with the drinks but food orders as well. Great way to feed folks when the poolside restaurant closes shop.

Overall great experience with adult kids and grandkids. Caring staff and fun environment.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
We're immensely proud of our dedicated team, and we're thrilled to hear of instances where their efforts afford for such memorable experiences. We'll most certainly pass your praises along, and we hope that you'll continue to join us to experience even more of this hospitality, along with an evolving inventory of amenities. Please be sure to reach out again the next time you're headed this way!

San Diego, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Wonder full Place to enjoy my 65th Birthday poolside its all good food , service and I live in San Diego where else would I enjoy such a great Bay experience. Dubai? stay home relax Ill be at the first to say its great in the USA. ok Mr A.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thanks for sharing your birthday with us, Arthur. We're so glad to hear that it was such a memorable experience for you, and we appreciate your thoughtfulness in lending this kind review. We always love sharing our site and services with our local residents, and we hope to welcome you back for many more visits ahead. Please be sure to reach out the next time you're looking for an inviting escape!

Reeds Spring, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

A member of our family scheduled this resort for our family reunion. We had over 90 in attendance during the week. The facilities were contracted 11 months in advance for this big group, unfortunately, very few of the promises that were given during the pre-booking visit were kept. The contract was filled out in a manner that only protected the resort, and left us fighting for each issue.

We were required to spend $7500 in meals while there for our group and ended up spending over $14,000 by the time the extra fees were added on. The very expensive family dinners were our worst meals all week. The food did not taste good, was cold and was not child friendly enough. The few edible items ran out quickly and were refilled for our large group. We had to beg for drinks to be refilled constantly. The two family dinners were held outside on the lawn-I would not recommend this. It was windy and the sun was in our eyes the whole evening. The resort charged us an extra $220 for running electricity out there for us with some lights attached. We were bothered by other guests during our dinner, that had rooms next to our set up. At one point, one of the guests just opened one of our rooms patio doors and walked in, checking it out. So if you must book this resort, ask for the indoor room-you won't have other guests lining up at the buffet, wind blowing all of the food cold, and the sun killing your eyes.

We did end up getting some of our 32 rooms together, but not all of us, once again making it a little difficult for our family. My room (#554) was a corner room with a patio on the ground floor. It was musty just like all of the review mentioned, but we expected that being so close to the bay. Room #504 was a lovely room with a skylight, however, birds chose to visit every morning around 5:30am to peck at the window, so plan accordingly. Some of the family ended up in the 600 block of rooms and felt like they got second best rooms, unfortunately. The resort did not do there best as far as I am concerned getting us together, they chose profit over customer service, which I partially understand, but wasn't happy about it. Also, make sure to keep your photo ID's handy, when your room keys don't work, they will not replace them without ID's. I understand this policy, but it was a little silly, when we checked in 5 minutes before, got to our rooms to unload luggage, and checked out the other rooms, we couldn't get back into our room. They would not let us have new keys without ID's, but they were locked in our room. We finally convinced them that one of our ID's from one of the other 31 rooms we rented would work, since we all had the last name. Oh and don't forget to get your parking pass-they will ticket you if not properly displayed.

We negotiated free parking and free resort fees, thanks to prior reviews. The actual facilities for the resort were sub par and not worth the extra money, we rarely saw anyone using them, so if you do go-plan to have it to yourself! The pool closes at 10pm each night and they do not hesitate to kick you out, even if you are being quiet and are adults. We did enjoy the beach volleyball each morning-it was always available with the borrowed volleyball.

Sea World fireworks were enjoyed each night (scheduled each night during July). They are very loud and can be heard with your doors shut each night at 9:50pm.

We did enjoy the park next door-Telecoat Shores Park. We rented a pavilion for one of the nights and brought in Pizza (The resort charges for offsite food). The concrete boardwalk was fun to long-board for our boys. It stretches from the resort to Sea World one way and all around the bay in the other direction.

I feel like that if the original promises were kept, if we had planned better and stayed at another resort we would have enjoyed our family reunion more. I have enjoyed many Hilton properties, but this will be one that my family and I will not be returning to.

Room Tip: The bay rooms do smell musty, so be prepared for that. They have excellent views of the bay. You pa...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
HiltonMissionBay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
I sincerely apologize that you had an unsatisfactory experience at our resort during your family reunion. Our team worked very hard to accommodate all of your requests, in addition to executing all items outlined in your contract. We can assure you that the food and beverage charges were determined by the meal selections chosen and that the only additional fees were the banquet service charge and sales tax, which is required by law. Children’s meals were also made available on both nights of your event.

Based on your family’s very specific guestroom requests (i.e. number of beds, adjoining rooms, building location), our team did our absolute best in assigning your rooms as close together as possible, especially during a time that our hotel was completely sold out. Our room key policy is to have our team members check your identification when keys have been misplaced or lost. Our team takes this policy very seriously, as the security and safety of our guests is our top priority. Our security team also takes our noise policies seriously, which is why our pool closes at 10:00 each night. We want to make sure that all of the guestrooms bordering our pool are not disturbed by noise during late hours. We also monitor our parking lot to ensure that non-registered guests and unauthorized vehicles are not parked on our property so our guests get prime parking spaces near their guestrooms. This is why we ask that all registered guests put a parking pass on their dashboard while parked at the resort.

As part of staying in Mission Bay, guests get to take advantage of our complimentary recreational activities, boardwalk access and our great view of the Sea World fireworks--which many guests view as a positive during the summer season. I am sorry that the noise from the Sea World fireworks was an inconvenience to your group.

Again, I apologize that you were not satisfied with your experience during your recent stay. I hope that my response has shined some light on the issues you experienced. We appreciate your business and hope you will consider staying with us again.
Hsinchu, Taiwan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

A friend of mine was married here and we decided to stay the night of the wedding and one additional night. I wish we had more time to enjoy this place! Our room was spacious and the bed was comfy. I wasn't thrilled that they had the "we will bill you $6 for this water if you drink it" but it wasn't a deal breaker. The staff was helpful and as we did not rent a car, we had them arrange both the hotel shuttle and cabs to get around. I wish there were some shops or restaurants within walking distance, but you trade that convenience to be in the middle of a bay front park.

They do have a store in the lobby area that carries snacks, toiletries, souvenirs, clothing, etc. as well as several eating options on property. I had a salad at the pool side "Frescos" which was enormous and quite tasty, but other that the wedding dinner [which was one of the better hotel wedding dinners I've had] I didn't eat on site. It seems like a great place to vacation, but if you plan to sightsee around town you will probably want to rent a car.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
HiltonMissionBay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Many thanks for being our guest and for taking the opportunity to lend us such thoughtful feedback of your visit. We're so happy that you stayed longer to experience the many amenities and offerings of our site, and we're thrilled that the team was able to help you navigate our region with improved ease. We'd love the chance to welcome you back and to showcase even more of this same hospitality, and we hope that you'll reach out again the next time you're in San Diego!

Waterloo, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This was our first impression of the city and it was fabulous. The bell staff was super welcoming and helpful in getting us settled, ran to get firewood for our fire pit and even let the kids help build the fire. Breakfast was fantastic. The view from our villa was the perfect thing to wake up to. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone heading to the area, whether it's 1 night or 10.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

It's such a pleasure to have welcomed you to San Diego and to hear that our hospitality set the mark for your stay. We pride ourselves on creating exceptional guests experiences, and we hope that you'll reach out and afford us the opportunity to showcase even more of our world-class offerings. All our best until then!

Laguna Beach, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I have stayed in a variety of hotels around the world. The overall experience was poor. I even considered moving hotels at 10pm on the first night. Tired and poor décor. Overpriced food at the restaurant. Way too expensive for the quality of the room (junior suite) and the overall experience. Hilton isn't what it used to be.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

While we're glad to have welcomed you, James, we're certainly disheartened to hear that elements of your visit fell so short of the mark. We'd appreciate the opportunity to further discuss your experience, and we hope that you'll reach out to our management team and afford us the opportunity.

Kind Regards,
Don Dennis

Been to Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!