“Bad Service!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa

You added Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1775 East Mission Bay Drive, San Diego, CA 92109 (Mission Bay Park)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
2X Points Package
Ranked #119 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Sacramento, California
“Bad Service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

It took 2 hours or more for our breakfast! in the restaurant and in the bar area. Not enough staff working The hotel was very under staff for being sold out! I think they need more training too! Front desk was great and Jessica in concierge went over and beyond to help us. She was the best!

Room Tip: Need to have more staff in the bar area and restaurant .
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

HiltonMissionBay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
We're saddened to hear that delayed dining services hampered your visit, and we'll most certainly share this feedback with the team in an effort to curb this atypical incident from reoccurring. With that, we appreciate your attention to the positive and the hospitality of our team, and we certainly hope that you'll reach out again to experience our services at their more common and streamlined best. It would be a pleasure to host you again, and we encourage you to reach out the next time you're in San Diego.

Don Dennis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
  • Polish first
Baton Rouge, LA USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Grounds are really beautiful but the rooms could use a "face lift". I disagree with some of the other reviews as to the extent of what is needed. We didn't experience any mildew or anything like that. Room was very clean.

We paid extra to stay in a "villa" and I can definitely say I would have been disappointed if we'd booked the tower. If you're looking for a "beach experience", don't stay in the Tower.

Used the spa which was really nice and service providers were very experienced and knowledgeable.

One big complaint. Service in the restaurant was awful our whole trip. It took forever to get anyone to wait on us and then the food took a long time as well. They weren't busy enough it should have been that slow. We had to track down water, waiters, pretty much everything we wanted. We mentioned it to the manager one morning and in fairness, she did comp our meal which we thought was really nice.

Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Pay extra for room with a view and/or firepit.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

HiltonMissionBay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
It's a pleasure to have had you as our guest, and we apologize for those service shortcomings associated with your dining experience. We certainly strive for a seamless experience throughout our property, and we thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'll surely pass the feedback along to the team, and we hope that you'll join us again to share in the continued evolution of our services. Until then, we wish you our best in you travels, and we encourage you to reach out to the team to afford us this second opportunity to showcase our more refined and attentive offerings. Many thanks for your stay and feedback.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Our company Christmas party was held here and we had a wonderful room. A beautiful view of Mission bay and a great sunset. The room was large enough and the bed wonderful. The service area offered a minifridge which is becoming a rarity in most hotels nowadays. This would be a great choice for a family vacation, the bottom floors have patios that open right up to the nice lawn areas and adjoining boardwalk and beach. We stayed in the garden rooms.
Had breakfast in bed too!

Room Tip: Room 307 south side, also had access to the private hot tub area.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

It's such a pleasure to have welcomed you and to hear that you enjoyed the inviting and relaxing comforts of our property. We aim to afford our guests with the very best in amenities and playful amenities, and we're so happy to hear that this balance made your visit an enjoyable one. We'd love to host you again soon, and it would be a pleasure to acquaint you with your next San Diego resort experience; please be sure to reach out to our team with any of your future booking needs.

General Manger
Plano, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

We felt misled by the beautiful pictures that we saw on the internet. This hotel is in dire need of a renovation considering how much the rooms cost. Our shower ceiling had mildew, the bathroom was missing a light bulb, the hallways and other common areas have not been repainted in many years and look dirty. When you pay $320 for a room, you expect a lot more than that.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

HiltonMissionBay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Thanks for being our guest and for reaching out with this feedback of your stay, Lyne. Naturally, we're alarmed and disheartened to hear that our site fell short of your expectation. With ongoing upgrades and renovations in the works, along with an evolving inventory of added amenities, we'd love to welcome you back again to share in our growth. It would be a pleasure to host you again and to showcase some of the many other rooms on site that are sure to impress.

Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

overall, a terrible experience. first, the good news: fantastic location, spacious room, and soft bed sheets. unfortunately, the bad includes everthing else.

the building we were assigned to looked and smelled 50 years old. it was so old, there was no elevator. no greater way to start a vacation than to lug my stroller and luggage up a flight of stairs. no, i was not offered luggage service at the check-in desk.

my room smelled of smoke every night i came home because my downstairs neighbors used the firepit/bbq and the smoke wafted into my room, which worked wonders for my allergies.

my room was so poorly lit, i could not help my daughter put together her lego set. i do not have glaucoma, cataracts, or macular degeneration.

the pillows were fluffy, but were small and probably made for midgets.

the walls are extremely thin, so if you enjoy eavesdropping on other people's conversations, then you might enjoy this hotel. if you like quiet when you sleep, consider other options.

if this is the hilton experience, i will take my money elsewhere next time!

Stayed March 2014
While we're glad to have welcomed you and to hear that our site met the mark, we apologize that elements of your room missed it so significantly. We'd certainly love to speak more with you regarding this visit, and we encourage you to reach out to our management team at your next available opportunity. With a variety of rooms across our spacious site, we're confident that we can welcome you back to accommodations that are better suited to your preferences. Many thanks for your continued time and attention.

Kind Regards,
Long Branch, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Spent a long weekend at the Hilton on Mission Bay and the whole family rode bikes around the Bay, enjoyed the outdoors, loved the restaurant (don't miss the Butternut Bisque with Lobster), enjoyed the Fitness Center and need to come back and try the Spa. Just lounging outside by the Bay was like a mini Resort Getaway Vacation, yet we were so close to all City and all the attractions. Will be back this summer. Loved it!

Room Tip: A view of the Bay is always nice!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

HiltonMissionBay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
We're so happy to hear that our San Diego site afforded you with convenient access to the area and seclusion from it, to relax and play on our waterfront. We're proud to be able to offer our guests this balance of worlds, and we're so happy to hear that your family's visit was an enjoyable one. We hope to welcome you back again soon, and we encourage you to reach out to the team with any of your future booking needs.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa to celebrate our 1st Wedding Anniversary, and all I can say is WOW!! I am so happy we stayed here b/c they went over and above to see to it that our stay was special, memorable and that we felt like VIP’s the whole time!

My husband and I are self-proclaimed foodies, so let me first start by saying how happy we were with all of the meals that we had onsite at the Resort & Spa! The first day we got there, we had lunch overlooking the Bay at their onsite restaurant Acqua. We wanted something lite, so we both opted for an entree salad option. I had the Seared Rare Tuna Salad and my husband had the California Chicken Salad…these were both SO delicious, that we ended up trading our salad bowls back and forth throughout our entire lunch b/c we couldn’t decide which one was better than the other! I could eat either one of these salads any day of the week! For dinner, I strongly recommend dining at Acqua at some point during your stay as well. This was one of the highlights of our trip, where we thoroughly enjoyed a delicious meal together on the outdoor patio with the view of the Bay, under the warmth of their outdoor patio heaters…too good to be true! It offered a romantic setting, but still laid-back and relaxing. I had the ‘special’ for the evening, which was a macadamia crusted halibut and my husband had the filet with the confit duck ravioli…both outstanding dishes and I highly recommend either of these entrees!! Oh I can't forget their breakfast buffet in the mornings....outstanding!! Breakfast is probably my favorite meal of the day, and the french toast was probably my favorite!

More importantly, the service from the hotel staff was top-notch throughout our stay! They were incredibly attentive and friendly, without being overbearing which is exactly how we prefer it. We stayed in one of the studio suites with a bayview and firepit, which was perfect for us and offered a magnificent view of the sunset in the evenings. We definitely took advantage of our firepit, and ordered s’mores one evening after dinner so we could roast marshmellows on our patio area and relax on the lounge chair together…this is the scene I dream of when thinking about a true vacation! There were several instances where we requested additional items for the room, which we were then greeted promptly at our door with a smile and our requested items from their staff. It really was the ‘little’ things that made all of the difference throughout our entire stay; exceptional customer service along with a clean, beautiful room and all the onsite amenities you could ask for.

I also really enjoyed working out in the mornings at their onsite fitness center. I loved that the facility is surrounded by windows, which makes working out a little more pleasant with outdoor views while it still managed to feel private and comfortable at the same time. I especially loved using the elliptical machines with built-in tv’s. :)

Finally, my husband and I wanted to take full advantage of our special occasion and made arrangements with Mantra, their onsite spa! This put everything over the top for sure, and my husband and I enjoyed an hour long couple’s massage together! This was by far, the grand finale to our flawless stay at the Resort! I have already recommended the Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa to several of my friends and family, and I hope everyone is able to make the trip here in order to experience the same hospitality we received throughout our entire stay! We can’t wait to visit again soon. :)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
HiltonMissionBay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
It's such an honor to be able to share in our guests special occasions, and we thank you for allowing us this opportunity to build memories alongside you. Our team was so happy to lend their services to the details of your getaway, and we hope that you'll reach out to us again the next time you're in San Diego. It would be a pleasure to host you, and we wish you our best for an exciting year ahead. Happy anniversary!

Don Dennis

Been to Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!