“Great property...rooms are just OK” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa

You added Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1775 East Mission Bay Drive, San Diego, CA 92109 (Mission Bay Park)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
2X Points Package!
Ranked #111 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
New York City, New York
“Great property...rooms are just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

The hotel has a great location (right off the 5 Freeway) and near Mission Beach and a great property. My biggest gripe are the rooms. Our room, located in the Tower, had problems as soon as we walked in. Some of the lights didn't work, the phones didn't work and the bathtub had water and dirt just sitting in there.

One of the supervisors did (TC) did a good job in trying to make our stay better and remedy the problems quickly. The problem was when I spoke with one of the managers the following day he did very little to try and fix a new problem - Housekeeping had taken my wife's sleepware. The best they could offer was a $50 credit for a future room stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
  • Polish first
TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I have had some less than acceptable experiences with Hilton in the past year but I have to say this property excels in service, both at the personal level and the overall hotel experience.
I arrived for a conference and was given a beautiful room that was unfortunately next to the Bridal suite, on a Saturday with a very busy wedding party.
I requested a room change as I was there for work, within 5 minutes I was changed to a very quiet beautiful room.
The entire staff I encountered was friendly and very professional and helpful. I am looking forward to staying in this property again.
The property has many things to do and offers wonderful vistas and respite when you are there for work.
Wonderful if you like the outdoors and exploring!
The food and catering for our event was superb, well presented, flavorful and well prepared, healthy.
Kudos to the entire staff!

Room Tip: Rooms with ocean view are beautiful, the gran view has some ocean view and have a wonderful veranda.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
hiltonmissionbay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
We appreciate your review of your recent stay with us. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and we are sincerely happy that we were able to provide you with a fantastic experience. Thank you once again for your comments and we look forward to your return stay.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

So here I stand in the lobby of the hotel disappointed. Why? I have to leave tomorrow! (saddy face!) I have had one of the best experiences this visit than I have had in a while. Upon check in, Whitney was a glowing ball of fire. Shared a few good laughs and was placed in a room of my choosing. (I wanted a bay room to enjoy the rain) Hilary was across the way checking in another guest and she, though not assisting me, was just as cheerful and courteous.

This evening I came down to inquire about a few things in and near the hotel and both of the previously named ladies in addition to Paige and I shared a good hearty laugh. (wink, wink ladies!) My questions were answered and off to happy hour I went. Now on my way back to retire for the evening I thought it fitting to give public accolades to the ladies that took the time to care.

WELL DONE LADIES! Thanks a million. See ya' soon!

Room Tip: Winter travel was most excellent. Weather still warm enough to enjoy the pool by jacuzzi by day and...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your review of your stay with us. We greatly appreciate your feedback and will be able to use it as we continue to improve our guest experience. I'm happy to hear that our team was able to provide you with such fantastic customer service and looking forward to passing your comments along. If your travels bring you back to our area, please don't hesitate to stop in and say hello.

San Antonio, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Ramzi was great. He offered information and was very friendly in pointing out where amenities were located. overall great, relaxing expereince.

The hotel was s great relief after a day of presentations. The food was also great in the Acqua restaurant. The staff there was welcoming and professional.

Fr. Bryan Silva

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
I appreciate your review of your recent stay at our hotel. It is great to hear that you had an overall nice stay with us and that we provided you with exceptional customer service. I will make sure to pass along your kind words to Ramzi, one of our seasoned Hilton veterans. We hope your travels bring you back to our area and that consider us for your next stay in San Diego.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We booked a one night stay after leaving a conference week at a lovely Hilton in downtown San Diego in the Gaslamp District. We were thinking a day near the beach and pool would be lovely. We were wrong. This place stinks!! Literally, the rooms and hallways smelled of trash and mold. The doors to our building were propped open with old face cloths and trash and old food littered the stairs and halls. The ventilation is antiquated and the rooms could not be adequately air conditioned to remove the humidity. Worst of all was the strong musty smell on our second story room. We set the A/C
to cool and hopefully remove the dampness and set out for dinner Upon our return the room was not improved and the smell was worse than before. My husband went to the front desk for help but he was told they did not have a room for us. The clerks were rather rude to him and not at all skilled in customer service. When he insisted we needed to move or be refunded, they found a room. The bell hop came to help us move and he was all excited, saying that we should be "stoked" because we scored a choice room near the beach. This room was only slightly better, the odor was diminished but still musty. I went a bought a candle in the gift shop to help us make it through the night with the bad smell, but lay awake thinking the room would catch on fire. As far as this being a prime room, it was far from it. We went to unpack and found that a key lighting fixture did not work. Another call to the desk, a visit from maintenence. The poor fellow could not identify the problem but indicated that there was an electrical problem in the breaker and he couldn't find the problem. He offerrred to bring us a floor lamp and an extension cord. OK we just did without that corner of the room being lit.
In addition to the room problems the dining room waas very poor. The food was hyped to be a gourmet experience but it was far from it. All around us people were complaining about the sow service and lack of attention. Several people left, others complained to the wait staff. We were seated for long periods of time when our waiter went missing. Our food was average but extremely small portions and quite overpriced. We are used to Hilton quality and service and don't mind paying higher prices for a great setting and a fabulous meal. This was not great, it was barely fair.
The next day at the pool, we were chatting with some other folkds. It turned out they were "friends"tender and were quite intoxicated while enjoying the hot tub. They admitted they were not guests but lived in the area and were there to enjoy the amenities.
If you are looking for a relaxing pleasant environment, this is not the place.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review. We’re very sorry you experienced an undesirable stay and level of customer service with us. The problems you mentioned with our amenities staff and cleanliness of common areas have been addressed. We appreciate you alerting us to these issues and we hope you will give us a second chance if you return to the area.

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Firstly, for such a beautiful place you think the staff would be happy to be there. So far on my trip this is the worst regarding service. The front desk were bordering on rude, they made ever effort not be be helpful, asking them a question was a bother met with a puff and even a roll of the eyes on one occasion. Basically, disappointed sums this up. Oh and the wifi is only available in "common areas" ie limited and not in your room.
The only good thing was the restaurant.... Amazing food.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
hiltonmissionbay, Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
We appreciate your review of your recent stay with us and sincerely apologize we did not meet your expectations. I have addressed these issues you've outlined with our staff to ensure this does not happen again. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve. Thank you once again for your comments. My hope is that you allow us the opportunity to provide you a different experience the next time you are in the area.

Calafor
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I'm 3 days into a 4 day stay here and I'm very disappointed with this hotel. Tried to get help several times the desk girls were very rude. The concierge starts at 10 and finished before 5. Haven't seen her yet and it's been 3 days. No wifi in rooms unless you want to sit out in the cold foyer at the front. Car parking was more expensive than the car rental! Hotel isn't close yo anything except sea world! Two words: don't bother!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your review of your stay with us. We are very sorry we were not able to provide a satisfactory experience while you were here. I have addressed the issues you had with our front desk team to ensure that providing a great experience for our valued guests remain our number one priority. We greatly appreciate your feedback and will be able to use it to improve our guest experience. Thank you again.

Vera Johnson

Been to Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!