“San Diego is paradise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa

You added Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   1775 East Mission Bay Drive, San Diego, CA 92109 (Mission Bay Park)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
2X Points Package
Ranked #120 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“San Diego is paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

My husband and I went to San Diego during July 4th holiday and we stayed at the Hilton San Diego Resort and Spa. I was a little skeptical based on the other reviews that I read on TripAdvisor about this propety but we were very pleased with our room and stay. It is a beautiful location overlooking Mission Bay. The sunsets were great as well as the fireworks from SeaWorld every night (at least in summer).

It was a convenient location with regard to getting around San Diego, right off I-5. We got to/from the airport in less than 10 minutes; LaJolla was an easy 20 to 30 minute drive; Old Town just an exit or two away; San Diego Zoo 15 minute drive; and of course SeaWorld was 5 minutes away! You do need a car if you stay at this location and want to get around. Although the location is convenient to the highway etc., the resort is in a isolated location i.e. nothing within walking distance. However, the hotel is full service and there is a restaurant/bar (Acqua & Olive), casual pool bar/restaurant, coffee shop (Aroma), full gift shop/convenience store, spa/gym/tennis courts (which we didn't happen to use), water sports. It does have a "beach" technically but it's the bay. So if you are looking for a true beach experience i.e. Pacific Ocean - you'll have to head out to one of the several beaches.

It does cost $25 per day to park here which we knew ahead of time but it's worth mentioning again since it seems to be a surprise to some based on the reviews.

It seems to be a family-friendly place - lots of kids at the pool and lots of kids activities at the pool. They had a family movie night one night at the pool; another night S'mores on the beach.

The food is very good at the Acqua restaurant - we ate there for breakfast several times, dinner, and at happy hour (Olive is the bar). However, the service is very slow so just be prepared. Nothing is quick. The pool bar also has happy hour every day which was fun and affordable

I can't say how much of a value it was price-wise as we stayed using Hilton points.

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to San Diego and cannot wait to go back some day. it is a beautiful city with lots to do and absolutely perfect weather.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
hiltonmissionbay, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
GalThatTravels,

I’m glad to hear that you had such a wonderful time with us. We do appreciate you taking the time to let us know how your experience was and want to thank you personally for choosing the Hilton San Diego Resort and Spa. We look forward to welcoming you back to San Diego in the future and would suggest a few hours on the bay with one of our new “Fun Cat” motorized lounge chairs for two. They’re equipped with an ice chest, perfect for those romantic cruises around the bay with someone special.

See you soon,

Gregg Fracassa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Polish first
Roma, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

the hotel is located just few minutes from downtown and very close by to Seaworld. So if you want to plan a family's vacation focused on Seaworld is perfect but that's all. This is an average resort hotel you are not expecting from the Hilton. The infrastractures are old and mamy of the area are dirty, I spent many morning around the concierge to get connected with Wi-Fii and this area aws always full of paper, glasses, while the floor was really dirty.
The breakfast was good, with just one machine (!!) for the toasting the bread. The rooms were large enough but it is almost incredible the lack of accessories in the bathroom, if you need anyhting else than body wash and shampoo you have to ask at the concierge.
The staff was friendly and helpful out that the young waitress at the pool, they looked a little bit "spoiled".

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Fab65Roma_Italy

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I’m sorry that we fell short of your expectation regarding our infrastructure and accessories in the bathroom. I’m happy to report that just after the first of next year we will start a renovation of those systems and will have them brought up to the newest standard shortly. I would love to hear from you what you felt was missing in the bathroom; we do currently carry the Hilton standard shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, facial soap, hair dryer, and a makeup mirror so I’m not sure what you thought was missing? I have also shared your comments with the appropriate operation managers in an effort to focus on your concerns. Thank you again for your comments and feel free to contact me at gfracassa@missionbayhilton.com with those suggestions.

Respectfully,

Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

We recently stayed at the Hilton San Diego Resort. As a Hilton honor member, we have enjoyed staying a various Hiltons. Before booking this hotel, we had read many positive reviews on Trip Advisor. Upon check we were given a room in the Villa waterfront. The Villa has two floors. As a warning for those that may need an elevator, there are only stairs. Outside our room and throughout the stair case was the strong smell of insect pesticide. On one of the evenings, we saw a roach run across the bathroom floor. I could catch it fast enough. The buildings and the decor of the resort looks old and run down. The place almost had a feel more of a motel. A couple of years ago we stayed at the HIlton resort on the big island of Hawaii. Now that's a real resort.

The staff at this Hilton was friendly. The pool would be the best part of the hotel. From the pool, we could see the firework show from Sea World. The parking was $25 per day. Not sure why because there isn't any other real business nearby.

The breakfast buffet was also disappointment. Not many selections compared to the other Hilton buffets we've been too. Even though our breakfast voucher took off $13 dollars per person, we still paid over $20 dollars after tip for a limited breakfast selection. After the first day, we just ate in Downtown.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
hiltonmissionbay, General Manager at Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 14, 2011
ravel277,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We take all our guest comments very seriously and want you to know that your areas of concern will be discussed with the appropriate department director. I can’t disagree that our Resort is different then other Hilton resort. Although we all have the same resort core standards we do very in location and in some cases amenities. I do hope you had the opportunity to enjoy some of the other complementary guest activates offered by our water sports and activity department during your stay as well as the pool. Thank you again for staying with us and please feel free to contact me if you would like to suggest additional options we could add to enhance the resort experience as you see it.

Central Coast, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

I am a regular Hilton customer so of course, I judge one against another. This resort just didn't meet up to others that I have stayed at just due to the horrible service we experienced in the restaurant. Over the course of three days we had one dinner and three breakfasts at Acqua. At dinner they wanted to seat us outside which I said would be fine as long as we had a heater and the hostess said no problem. We ended up having to ask the waiter after some time for a heater and he said the one next to us didn't work and there were no others available. There were only maybe 6 other tables and most of those were seated next to firepits! The sun went down and the fog blew in further and it was just too cold so we asked again. Turns out the heater next to us did work but the waiter hadn't been sure how to light it! It was just lazy of him. The food was fine. Overpriced as all Hilton restaurants are. It was the breakfast staff that really blew our minds. Very inefficient. Our waiter would walk all the way out to the patio and only visit one table at a time so good luck getting any drink refills or asking for the check. The hostess grumbled aloud every morning and couldn't manage a good morning or a smile. All the staff would shoulder their way through the doors and make YOU hold the doors open for them. I had overheard a table grumbling about this our first morning and thought that surely they were exaggerating but no, it happened the next two mornings to me. Thankfully, the last morning we had Daniel as our waiter and he was excellent. What a waiter at a busy, upscale resort should be. The buffet food was fine but the pastries were fresh and exceptional. Not a large buffet like the Cabo resort.
We had a bayfront room and that was a highlight. Very spacious, really liked the decor, didn't like the mildew in the shower. Nice and quiet. There was a newborn next door and it cried alot but was very faint and didn't disturb us. The pool area was lovely but the pool itself was cool. My kids didnt mind. We liked the big checkers board. Poolside food was good (the chicken quesadilla was excellent) but again, expensive and service there was fast and friendly. Great location to see the Sea World fireworks every night. Nice to be able to jump on and off the highway but not hear the highway.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Familytravel4fun,

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review. Its comments like yours that help us improve. I’m happy that your overall experience outside of the dinning room was positive. I will share you comments with our Food and Beverage Director so that we can attend to your concerns. I’m excited to hear that you enjoyed the Pool and the giant checkers; I hope in the future you will be able to also enjoy the many complementary resort activities we offer.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

Great: The front desk was exceptional and I want to make the point that William the front desk supervisor is friendly, and knows his stuff. His personal attention to my needs made may stay enjoyable and we will definitely be back.
Additionally, the bar, Acqua, pool and beach personnel are all worth mentioning.

Okay: my wife's experience at the spa was okay. She wants to be pampered at a spa and she was left on her own and forced to fend for her self at times

• Stayed July 2011
Tonyg536,

Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding your stay. it is our goal to provide you with great overall service and I happy to see we did just that. However I’m also disappointed to find out that we didn’t do so well in the spa. I will discuss your wife’s experience with the director so when you return we will be properly ready to pamper you wife as she deserves.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

I recently stayed at the Hilton San Diego Resort for training with my work and I loved it! It is a beautiful property and the staff was wonderful!! The Conference Center is in the middle of the property so it was easily accessible from any room. Also, I am a runner so it was nice to have the Bay right outside my door so I could go for an evening run and enjoy the cool weather. The Front Desk staff and Bellmen staff were very helpful with directions and recommendations to dining and other activities. I am looking forward to visiting the property again in the future with my fiancé.

Ashley Doyle

Room Tip: If you can get a room that faces the bay then I would upgrade because it is beautiful.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Ashley,

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive experience at the resort. I’m very excited to hear that we meet our own internal goal of giving you outstanding overall customer service. Its also exiting to hear that you had the opportunity to enjoy the unique experience that only our resort has with the newly renovated (thanks to SeaWorld) board walk. We look forward to welcoming you bak in the future.

Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

I stayed here from June 28-June 30th with my family incl 2 kids (ages 6 & 4). TC at the front desk was amazing. She kindly upgraded us for reasonable fee (originally booked rooms on priceline) to beach front villa with fire pit. Helped me keep my promise to my little ones to have sand just steps from their hotel room. Made s'mores in our own personal firepit (hotel store has firewood and smores kits) and memories that will last a lifetime. Loved that beach was just steps from our back patio. My kids couldn't stay away from the sand, sun, and fun. Beach/vacation music could be heard from boat dock nearby. Absolutely lovely. Beautiful sunset view and fantastic view of fireworks from Sea World, nightly. Couldn't ask for me.

Rooms (other room was garden view villa) were clean and remodeled. TC waived charge for upgrade on this one. She was considerate of handicap accessibility for my mom too. Beachfront villa had wet bar and mini-fridge. Garden view double queen was small, but clean and modernized. Pool area was perfect size for kids and adults. The 2 spas were never crowded. Very family friendly without being overrun by unruly kids. Would be romantic for couples as well. Wish we had rented surreys and/or bikes and cruised around.

Downsides: Didn't let us check in until close to 4 for one room and 4:30 for the other, but allowed us to check out late in one room. We enjoyed the pool area until our rooms were ready. Food prices were very high. Aroma cafe only open limited morning time with limited selection. Outside food places limited. However, the food quality was excellent. Happy hour deals were good too. Skip Sea World and have your little ones simply enjoy the beauty of the Bay from the comfort of your hotel room. Bring your own bikes, scooters, skates, etc. Parking fee of $25 was high. Free internet in hotel lobby.

Best vacation we've had in a long time. Thanks, TC! Can't wait to come back!!! Don't hesitate to choose this hotel. Other Mission Bay properties do not have this beautiful and usable beach front.

Room Tip: Beachfront with firepit was the best.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Review4uLasVegas,

Wow, thank you so much for the flattering comments. It’s exciting to hear that your overall experience was “wonderful”, I’ll be sure to thank TC personally for making your trip so memorable. It is staff like TC that make our hotel just that…”wonderful.” We look forward to seeing you again when time allows you to return.

All my best,

Gregg Fracassa

Been to Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!