“Simple & Efficient” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #97 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Los Angeles, California
“Simple & Efficient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

My small family of 3 stayed overnite after a trip to the San Diego Zoo -about 10 min drive. The hotel is one of the smallest we have ever stayed in however, do not judge by this. The place is clean & very well thought out. Everything you need you get along w a fun mod design. The bed is comfy & the shower awesome. The location is central to little Italy & a plethora of restaurants to choose from. Everyone is friendly incl the hotel dog Penny. Did I mention we're paying $135/nt? Unreal! NOTE: if you have sensitive ears - you might think twice. It's a bit noisy due to location & walls are a bit thin. Otherwise no complaints. This is definitely a great value!

• Stayed November 2013
Marc H, General Manager at La Pensione, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thanks for choosing to stay with us as part of your Zoo adventure! We know our standard rooms are comfy, and are glad that our rates reflect such a great value. We're glad you liked our design and our layout. We're all about maximizing space and light! Being right in the middle of Little Italy, street noise is inevitable. Next time, if you'd like, you can request an interior room facing our courtyard. We hope to see you soon. Penny says hi!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed at the La Pensione hotel in Little Italy for five nights and used it as our base to explore the San Diego area. We had a recently refurbished corner room which was ideal for what we needed. The room was a little small, but nothing we are not use to in Europe. Our only real complaint was the lack of working wifi in the room, however wifi was available in reception or the cafe downstairs.

The location is obviously ideal for Little Italy, but we also found all of the other main downtown attractions within walking distance (Gaslamp, harbor, Balboa Park etc.) and it was very easy to head to Old Town and locations a little further afield on the Trolley that stops just a few minutes away.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Marc H, General Manager at La Pensione, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
I appreciate your taking the time to leave us a review! Glad you were able to explore and see so much of San Diego during your stay. We know wi-fi is important to all of our guests, so we're currently working on solutions to make it speedy and readily available. Thanks for your patience and we hope you'll have a chance to visit us again in San Diego!
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I stayed here in July and thinking about going back around Xmas time and realized I didn't write a review for that July 2013 stay. I go to SD to visit my son and have always stayed here because of the location, the good price and the service I have received. Yes some of the rooms can be small.....but I like the price... additionally I go to my room to sleep......do not need a huge room.....for what ?.....last time I was there I paid a little more and got this wonderful room overlooking the shops and restaurants on Date St and it was a lot fun.....the Hotel was remodeled and it has a family atmosphere. You can always find somebody to talk to and having 2 restaurants in the property is wonderful. Go down for coffee, sit outside and watch all the activities of Little Italy, not to mention the myriad of nearby restaurants and shops....and all the attractions within walking distance or short drive. The bed and pillows were super comfortable and very clean. the air conditioner very efficient. There is a mini fridge in the room. I showed up a day early and although very busy they were able to accommodate me. There is no swimming pool or room service.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Hello, thank you for remembering to review your July stay! We really appreciate it. Glad you had the chance to have the full Little Italy experience! And yes, you are right. We always have the option of our larger rooms with two beds. Many of our guests are adventurous explorers just like yourself, so you were spot on when you said " additionally I go to my room to sleep......do not need a huge room.....for what ?...."

Let us know if we'll see you in December!
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I stayed here with a group of friends to celebrate a birthday. We bounced around greater San Diego and this was my favorite place we stayed. Great location, great service, great room and my room had a great view of Little Italy.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Sounds like a fun birthday trip, especially with exploring all of San Diego! Glad you had fun and thanks for picking us as your fave hotel out of the rest. Put a smile on my face! We hope to see you again soon!
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here instead of the Hyatt because the price was so much lower. I read prior reviews which were mostly positive. I concur. If you want a huge spotless room with tons of storage space this is not the place for you. The room was very small and storage space for clothes to last a week was limited. HOWEVER, the neighborhood is charming. There are lots of restaurants (mostly Italian since is in Little Italy) within two blocks. Prior reviewers have complained about the parking garage. Maybe we got lucky, but I found a spot for each of the five nights we were there. The AC worked fine. There was plenty of hot water. There was some street noise, but it really didn't keep us up. The mattress was comfortable. There is a courtyard off the first floor and a lovely restaurant where we had coffee and croissants each morning. The neighborhood felt safe The staff was terrific. I met Marc the manager who wondered how I already knew his name (from his response to prior tripadvisor reviews;) Xavier, Andre and the other front desk people were very attentive as were the housekeeping staff. I would not hesitate to stay here again and I fully recommend it.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor and I liked this. I enjoyed the view of the street life below. The other...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Marc H, General Manager at La Pensione, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Hi Alan,

It was great meeting you the other day! My team and I are so glad that you didn't experience any of the qualms that previous reviewers had. We're vigilant about these reviews and use each of them to make the hotel better and better. Sounds like you two had a wonderful vacation. We hope to see you both again soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

La Pensione is a great gem. Many people complain about the size of the rooms - I guess people are not aware that rooms in boutique hotels are almost always smaller. With that said, the rooms do not lack anything and even have en suite refrigerators. The rooms are just lovely - modern and quite chic. The baths are complete w/ marble and the rooms are very clean. I felt completely comfortable walking barefoot(which is not common for me). The location is also perfect. It's dead smack in the heart of Little Italy and 2 short blocks to the trolley which takes you almost everywhere in the downtown area, including the Gaslamp Quarter, Ole Town and the Convention Ctr. This hotel will be my first choice on my next visit to SD. Javier and Stephanie are very friendly and helpful and the resident pooch - Penny is darling.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
First off, happy belated birthday! Thank you for picking us for the base of your celebratory vacation. We're happy that you had such a great time and that you were able to walk barefront throughout your room :)

We're ecstatic to be your first choice for your next venture out to San Diego. Javier, Stephanie AND Penny say "hi" and they're looking forward to seeing you again soon!
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

You get what you pay for with this hotel. It's very affordable, especially for the great neighborhood it's in, but in return you have to expect small rooms and limited service. The parking in the garage is limited, and we weren't able to get in there until the second night of our stay, but because we stayed 5 nights, they waived the parking fee! We also had an issue with housekeeping not coming around until about 4 pm, by which time we were back in our room for an afternoon rest. Other than that, all the staff was nice. The front desk printed our boarding passes for us (as they do not have computers or a printer in their business center). Our room was small but clean and even had a tiny fridge. Lots of great restaurants nearby in Little Italy!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello - we appreciate your staying with us and taking the time afterwards to write us a review! We're happy that we can offer such great rates, especially compared with other hotels in downtown San Diego. We also have rooms with two beds, which are considerably larger than our standard rooms with one bed. We're happy to reserve one of those for you for your next stay. We hope to see you soon!

Been to La Pensione? Share your experiences!