“C.I.G.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #155 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Missoula, Montana
“C.I.G.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

If price is your priority, C.I.G. is acceptable for solo business trips to San Diego Convention Center events or similar at a nearby hotel. But otherwise, I would avoid this property. I stayed here to avoid the higher prices of the larger hotels (even with negotiated event rate), as well as spending that savings on daily can rides.

The rooms are very small, with very little space on either side of the small bed. The bathroom is just a tub and a toilet behind a sliding door with peeling paint. There is only an A/C box hanging in the window, which the staff turn off for you each day. Through the open window, you can hear plenty of what's going on in the Gaslamp neighborhood.

The 'free' airport shuttle is frugal, but if I had to do it over again I would just grab a cab for a more direct (short) ride. There is no return trip to the airport included. The TV menu didn't work (only channel up/down), the volume jumped from barely audible for one channel to painfully loud on another, the picture didn't fit the screen, and there we're several white snow only channels.

Yes the free breakfast is also a nice touch, and better than average, but my corporate convention also provided free breakfast.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Thank you for your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Richfield, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

I'm the first to admit that I can be very critical and when we began our search for lodging in San Diego's famed Gaslamp District I was dismayed by the pricing and thought surely we'd be paying through the nose for, at best, mediocre accommodations. While the Comfort Inn Gaslamp isn't fancy or flashy, the location is great- walk to the ballpark, convention center, shopping, ferry, etc. The room was clean, breakfast was provided daily and the staff were friendly and helpful. My husband became ill during our trip and they helped us understand where the medical center was and also provided a voucher for the cab to the airport when we departed. There's a coffee shop around the corner, Coffee & Art, that I could get a great tasting latte and warmed croissant for mornings when I wanted to read while he slept. There's a quaint boutique across the street and down the block, G St. Gypsy, for vintage clothes and unique jewelry- not to mention Hamilton the Pig who greets customers daily when he's not napping. There are excellent eateries (good beer too!) nearby: Neighborhood and Zanzibar Cafe are closest (there's a Buca right door) and CVS is one block away for essentials. Comfort Inn Gaslamp made our stay comfortable and comparatively speaking the price for the room was very reasonable. I think it would be a good spot for families, tho there's no pool, and while it's not a romantic escape it worked for us as a young(ish) couple. Room details:
It was a small but adequate room with a comfortable bed and pillows. The AC was a window unit and while it was a bit noisy, it sufficiently cooled the room. There was a coffee maker, mini fridge, microwave and complimentary popcorn and a bottled water. The room also had an ironing board, iron and plenty of hanging room in the closet. The sink was in the main room (vs. the bathroom) but that was fine and allowed me to get ready sans humidity while my husband showered. There was free wi-fi that worked the entire time. All in all, for the rate and the location the Comfort Inn Gaslamp fit the bill and I'd certainly go back.

Room Tip: Our corner room was relatively quiet. I don't think "the view" is why you stay at this...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Megferd, Thank you so much for your review. I think it is very helpful to people trying to decide on whether to stay with us or not. We know you have many choices and we appreciate your business.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

FHS - Friendly and helpful staff. Manager made us aware of the shuttle service from the airport. Voucher system for taxi to the airport for instance, so check this out. Need to be a privilege member.
GL - Great location. Right in the centre of town and the gas lamp and convention centre
GVFM - Good value for money.

As commented in other reviews of this hotel, the rooms are compact. For instance our room had the sink separate to the shower and WC. There was a fridge and microwave though.
Breakfast is provided, but the space available is again small and so resembles a scrum for tables at some times in the morning. The staff there though are patient and also provide eggs and sausages as an extra to the normal continental style breakfast. Fruit and muffins as well as toast bagels and cereals are on offer.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
WAYB- We appreciate your business.
HTSUA- Hope to see you again

All the best,
Cris Vasquez
Riverside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

I was in-transit to fly on the next day. I picked it because of location and price. When I arrived I noticed it was not a big "signature hotel", but seemed okay. Was I pleasantly surprised! Great staff who answered my usual 500 questions very pleasantly. The room is small but who cares? You are in the middle of the Gaslamp district of San Diego. If you are spending much time in your room that is surely a personal problem. Everything within easy walking distance...around the corner, House of Blues, great restaurants, fantastic clubs. The Room. Yes, small. Nice flatscreen TV, small fridge, microwave, coffee machine, lots of electric sockets...no searching or unplugging lights for power, ceiling fan, window AC. Room countertop also has a sink, no big deal and I thought convenient. No plastic cups...glass baybeee, and nice coffee mugs not cardboard. Very clean room, and do mean clean. Particular attention paid to making everything neat. Four pillows to choose from...firm or soft. Oh yes! Plenty of soap and lotions. A really cool place. Nice old style lobby. Checkout was a breeze. The desk clerk said, "Look only for an orange cab". That's attention to detail. I had to leave too early to have breakfast. Too bad for me. I am cutting my vacation in the East short to go back and stay for three days. How many ways can you say, "like"?

Room Tip: Not really any views that I could see, but I went outside. In off-traffic figure 15 min to airport...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Wow! What a great review. We appreciate the time you took to give such a detailed review of your experience. I hope to see you again. All the best, Cris Vasquez
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

I personally would not stay here again, however that is no slight on the Inn itself... It's the fact that I prefer hotels however this was a cheaper option... The room itself was small, but clean and adequately equipped with everything you would expect. There was air con and a fan. The only sink was in the bedroom and not the bathroom which was a bit of a nuisance but it's manageable. It also comes with a fridge and microwave which many of the hotels we stayed in did not have. It is in a great location and very close to all the bars/restaurants. We also found the laundry services very handy.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Thank you for your business. Even though we are not a fit for you, it's nice that you were so complimentary.
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I spent hours online checking out hotels around Petco Park (we flew down from Nor Cal to attend 2 games). I watched as rates went up and down and up again. I considered a couple hotels right next to Petco but the rates just went too high. We chose Comfort Inn based on the cost (at least $100 less a night than the other hotels) and the good reviews. Also, the room had a mini fridge and microwave - always a plus. Internet was free as well as breakfast. There is also a free shuttle from the airport. I was concerned because there seemed to be a lot of reviews complaining about the small rooms. We stayed in a 4th floor room with a queen size bed overlooking the street. In my opinion, there was plenty of room. People also seem to complain about the fact that the sink is not in the bathroom. I can only see this as being problematic if one person is trying to get ready for the day while the other person is still sleeping. We had no problem with it. Earplugs are provided but we did not use them. We were not bothered by street noise and never heard noise from other rooms. The room was nice and clean, the bed and pillows were comfortable and the shower worked great. My only complaint would be about the towels, which were pretty thin and not soft but typical of hotels like this. The staff at this hotel were all friendly and helpful with answering our questions. The hotel is in a great location only a few blocks and about a 10 minute walk to Petco. Gaslamp District is only a couple blocks away and it is an easy walk to the trolley. We had a nice stay here and would not hesitate to stay here again on our next visit.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, request a room that does not face the street.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you very much for your nice review.
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

For a downtown hotel with limited space the owners have done a good job with this property. It's very clean and updated. The lobby has a nice sitting/living room and patio area. The breakfast room is large and has one of the best breakfasts I've ever seen at a Comfort Inn.

They advertise an airport shuttle which is actually vouchers for Super Shuttle/cab service. Better than waiting on a hotel van in my opinion.

Front desk staff was extremely professional and friendly. The room was very small, typical of an inner-city hotel. However everything seemed newly renovated. Bed was very comfortable, there were plenty of plug-ins for charging phones, etc.

Being in the middle of the Gaslamp District it can be a noisy, hence why complimentary earplugs are provided. I put the a/c on fan mode and I always travel with a sound spa. This drown out most of the traffic/noise and it didn't bother me (and I'm a light sleeper).

Overall great value and great location in the middle of downtown/Gaslamp San Diego.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor/near the back to get as far from traffic as possible.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate all of your kind words. I hope to see you in the future.

Been to Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center? Share your experiences!