“Great in every sense” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #155 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Sydney, Australia
“Great in every sense”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

The hotel does not seem attractive from the outside. However, the staff makes you feel totally at ease. They are helpful.

The room is small but very comfortable. I read about other hotels having a thin wall but this hotel is definitely not on the list. I enjoy it so much just lie in bed on my second day.

Breakfast is good value. There is only one staff member running the buffet but she is efficient.
I will stay in this hotel again because the location is perfect. So central.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
We couldn't ask for a nicer review. It makes me proud of the staff when I hear such great things about the service. We look forward to being your home away from home. All the best, Cris Vasquez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Worcester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

This hotel has a great downtown location within the Gaslamp District. Parking is an additional cost. The WIFI is free and there are computers and printers available to print airline boarding passes. There is an airport shuttle to bring you to the hotel from the airport. To get back to the airport you need to take a taxi, but do it thru the hotel and they provide a voucher so there is no cost for the taxi. The room was clean and the beds comfortable. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
I appreciate your review. Thank you so much for your business. We strive to do the best job we can I am glad we meet your expectations. We hope to see you again. Remember, best rates are available on the specials tab at our own website.
Hamilton, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Great central hotel to the gas lamp district only 2 blocks/5 minute walk and a 20 minute walk to the beautiful harbor.
Our hotel room was satisfactory with all the essentials, great value for money.
The breakfast was typical american which was great.
The only let downs where: 1) The car park is too open, it would be very easy for someone to break in unnoticed which is a bit un-nerving but no harm came to our car during our stay.
2) The hotel is between 7th and G street our GPS struggled to find the location which made for a very unhappy start to our introduction to the motel i think the company would benefit in updating their map.
All up good location and cheap on the pocket i would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again.
Panama City, Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

What attracted me to this hotel at first was the price. For the area, this hotel is very unexpensive. The breakfast was included and for a Budget Hotel it was complete and good. The location is nice too. You walk down or up and you will find a trolley or a bus station. I found San Diego transport system very good too. I had a car booked but I cancelled it since we didnt need it. The people at the desk are nice. The room wasnt too big but not to small either. It was ok. I booked a queen bedroom corner room. The closet space was perfect. Bathroom, could use a little improvement but it was ok.

Room Tip: Get a corner room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
I love receiving reviews from Senior reviewers. That means you travel quite a bit and for you to speak so highly of us is such a compliment. Our goal is to offer clean, well maintained facilities and a reasonable price compared to other hotels in the Gaslamp Quarter. Thank you very much for your business and I hope to see you again. Be sure to check out our specials for booking direct. There is a link to our website near the address of the hotel on Tripadvisor.
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I agree with all the good reviews about the hotel itself. Everything I could want in the hotel was here. Cleanliness, microwave, fridge, air conditioner (cycles on and off a bit, but not too badly), ample full free breakfast, washer and dryer, free business center, free wifi, quiet (if you're on the courtyard sides), friendly staff, environmentally conscious policies, and great location within walking distance of the convention center where I was taking some workshops. And it's relatively inexpensive. There's also a great Ralph's supermarket only 4 blocks away. The only downside to the hotel was the area around it, which I found full of derelicts, especially during the daytime. As a single older woman without a car, I didn't feel comfortable exploring the area much on foot. Oddly enough, it seemed safer at night when a lot of hip young people and tourists were frequenting the nearby restaurants and bars. That said, I strongly recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the courtyard sides. They're quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and I appreciate the time you took to review us. You know its a lot easier to write a review when you are unhappy with something. It is purely out of kindness when you are doing it to share your great experience. We strive to offer a clean, well maintained facility at affordable prices. Cleanliness has always been are top priority. Thank you again for your review.
seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

The only thing even close to negative I could say about this hotel is that my room was a bit on the small side, but even that's not much of a negative as there was more than enough room to move around and feel comfortable. This is a Comfort Inn that definitely lives up to the title - I was very comfortable in my room which came with some nice little perks. On a hot, muggy day it was nice to check in and discover a bottle of water waiting for me up in the room. The standard toiletries were enhanced by a convenient grooming kit. The sheets and towels were all of good quality. These things might seem minor, but it has been my experience that a hotel that pays attention to these little details does a good job with the bigger ones, too.

My room, and indeed the entire hotel, was spotless - everything was clean and fresh. The staff were all helpful and friendly. While I didn't take advantage of all of the amenities available, I was impressed by the wide array of choices - everything from same day dry cleaning services to on site washing machines and dryers, a no charge business center, and more. The morning breakfast buffet was tasty and appealing.

I also appreciated the hotel's commitment to being environmentally conscious. The room refrigerator was turned off when I checked in, as was the air conditioning. Both worked quickly and well once turned on.

The location was excellent. You really can see the baseball stadium from the hotel and there are more restaurants and bars, both chains and local businesses, in the immediate area than I could count. Within a short walking distance there was also a movie theater, a very nice supermarket, and a large mall with a variety of shops, restaurants, and entertainment.

Street parking in the area is challenging and parking in lots quite pricey (although I did note that the Comfort Inn had the lowest local cost) but unless you're planning to leave the city limits, driving really isn't necessary. San Diego's public transit within the city is convenient and relatively inexpensive (I paid $15 for a four day transit pass which covers everything but the express commuter bus lines) and readily accessible from the hotel. It is a short trip to all of the major attractions in the city, including Balboa Park and the Zoo.

This hotel was an excellent value. I enjoyed my stay there very much, would definitely stay again, and highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for such a great review. I appreciate the details in your review just like you appreciate the details of our hotel. Please feel free to contact us directly the next time you plan to be in San Diego. Thank you for your business. All the best, Cris Vasquez
CHA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

All most like an "eclectic boutique" hotel. Older, yet WELL KEPT!
Room was very small. However...with ALL of the amenities, LOCATION
AND PRICE, it can't be beat.
FYI: Beaucoup!!!!! resturaunts/bars, incl several sidewalk versions, 1 upscale.
Banking, 2 very nice grocery's. SD Zoo 1.5mi. Also, you can rent,localy, a (SMART) car by the minute.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for the very kind review. We strive hard to make your stay an enjoyable one and I am glad we came though for you. All the best, Cris Vasquez

Been to Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center? Share your experiences!