“Great location needs to update map.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #145 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Great location needs to update map.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Great central hotel to the gas lamp district only 2 blocks/5 minute walk and a 20 minute walk to the beautiful harbor.
Our hotel room was satisfactory with all the essentials, great value for money.
The breakfast was typical american which was great.
The only let downs where: 1) The car park is too open, it would be very easy for someone to break in unnoticed which is a bit un-nerving but no harm came to our car during our stay.
2) The hotel is between 7th and G street our GPS struggled to find the location which made for a very unhappy start to our introduction to the motel i think the company would benefit in updating their map.
All up good location and cheap on the pocket i would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Panama City, Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

What attracted me to this hotel at first was the price. For the area, this hotel is very unexpensive. The breakfast was included and for a Budget Hotel it was complete and good. The location is nice too. You walk down or up and you will find a trolley or a bus station. I found San Diego transport system very good too. I had a car booked but I cancelled it since we didnt need it. The people at the desk are nice. The room wasnt too big but not to small either. It was ok. I booked a queen bedroom corner room. The closet space was perfect. Bathroom, could use a little improvement but it was ok.

Room Tip: Get a corner room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
I love receiving reviews from Senior reviewers. That means you travel quite a bit and for you to speak so highly of us is such a compliment. Our goal is to offer clean, well maintained facilities and a reasonable price compared to other hotels in the Gaslamp Quarter. Thank you very much for your business and I hope to see you again. Be sure to check out our specials for booking direct. There is a link to our website near the address of the hotel on Tripadvisor.
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I agree with all the good reviews about the hotel itself. Everything I could want in the hotel was here. Cleanliness, microwave, fridge, air conditioner (cycles on and off a bit, but not too badly), ample full free breakfast, washer and dryer, free business center, free wifi, quiet (if you're on the courtyard sides), friendly staff, environmentally conscious policies, and great location within walking distance of the convention center where I was taking some workshops. And it's relatively inexpensive. There's also a great Ralph's supermarket only 4 blocks away. The only downside to the hotel was the area around it, which I found full of derelicts, especially during the daytime. As a single older woman without a car, I didn't feel comfortable exploring the area much on foot. Oddly enough, it seemed safer at night when a lot of hip young people and tourists were frequenting the nearby restaurants and bars. That said, I strongly recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the courtyard sides. They're quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and I appreciate the time you took to review us. You know its a lot easier to write a review when you are unhappy with something. It is purely out of kindness when you are doing it to share your great experience. We strive to offer a clean, well maintained facility at affordable prices. Cleanliness has always been are top priority. Thank you again for your review.
seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

The only thing even close to negative I could say about this hotel is that my room was a bit on the small side, but even that's not much of a negative as there was more than enough room to move around and feel comfortable. This is a Comfort Inn that definitely lives up to the title - I was very comfortable in my room which came with some nice little perks. On a hot, muggy day it was nice to check in and discover a bottle of water waiting for me up in the room. The standard toiletries were enhanced by a convenient grooming kit. The sheets and towels were all of good quality. These things might seem minor, but it has been my experience that a hotel that pays attention to these little details does a good job with the bigger ones, too.

My room, and indeed the entire hotel, was spotless - everything was clean and fresh. The staff were all helpful and friendly. While I didn't take advantage of all of the amenities available, I was impressed by the wide array of choices - everything from same day dry cleaning services to on site washing machines and dryers, a no charge business center, and more. The morning breakfast buffet was tasty and appealing.

I also appreciated the hotel's commitment to being environmentally conscious. The room refrigerator was turned off when I checked in, as was the air conditioning. Both worked quickly and well once turned on.

The location was excellent. You really can see the baseball stadium from the hotel and there are more restaurants and bars, both chains and local businesses, in the immediate area than I could count. Within a short walking distance there was also a movie theater, a very nice supermarket, and a large mall with a variety of shops, restaurants, and entertainment.

Street parking in the area is challenging and parking in lots quite pricey (although I did note that the Comfort Inn had the lowest local cost) but unless you're planning to leave the city limits, driving really isn't necessary. San Diego's public transit within the city is convenient and relatively inexpensive (I paid $15 for a four day transit pass which covers everything but the express commuter bus lines) and readily accessible from the hotel. It is a short trip to all of the major attractions in the city, including Balboa Park and the Zoo.

This hotel was an excellent value. I enjoyed my stay there very much, would definitely stay again, and highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Thank you for such a great review. I appreciate the details in your review just like you appreciate the details of our hotel. Please feel free to contact us directly the next time you plan to be in San Diego. Thank you for your business. All the best, Cris Vasquez
CHA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

All most like an "eclectic boutique" hotel. Older, yet WELL KEPT!
Room was very small. However...with ALL of the amenities, LOCATION
AND PRICE, it can't be beat.
FYI: Beaucoup!!!!! resturaunts/bars, incl several sidewalk versions, 1 upscale.
Banking, 2 very nice grocery's. SD Zoo 1.5mi. Also, you can rent,localy, a (SMART) car by the minute.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for the very kind review. We strive hard to make your stay an enjoyable one and I am glad we came though for you. All the best, Cris Vasquez
Vancouver Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

A good bang for the buck that's for sure. Comes with a not too bad breakfast in the morning. Rooms are basic however, they are all you need for just sleeping. Great location to the Gaslamp Quarter of San Diego. Can walk to pretty much everything. Clean and very friendly staff. All in all we felt it was good value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for your review. We strive to offer a clean and well maintained facility. We focus on cleanliness and go the extra mile. Every touchable surface is sprayed with lysol during cleaning of the room. Thank you again for your kind words.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I stayed here for 3 days in late July with my partner. It's a great location. Literally a block away from the the Main Street in the Gaslamp Quarter. Which if you like nightlife, bars, restaurants, clubs and lots of activity this is the best location to be.
Comfort Inn is cheap but you get your basics and the room we stayed in was small and cramped but it was fine for such a short stay. The bed I have to say was not the most comfortable.
The room came with free WIFI, breakfast (although very basic) and we had to pay for parking which was $18 per day.
Overall, it's good value for money for short stays - anything longer than 3 days you'll want a bit more comfort.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I want to thank you for you business and the time you took to review us. Reviews are very important to the hotel. It helps guide us in the right direction. From your review, I can tell you feel positive about the way we run the hotel and that feels great!

Been to Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center? Share your experiences!