“Nice location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #139 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Findlay, Ohio
“Nice location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Booked this on a hotwire flight hotel combination to attend meetings at the convention center. It was an easy 10min-12min (0.6mi) walk to the convention center. The area felt safe with lots of foot traffic in the area. The interior is being redone and I had a room with new carpet and paint. Room size was small but adequate for 2 people. There was a fridge which was not working but the microwave did work. There was a coffee maker. The alarm clock was not on the bed stand and there is no plug near the bed to recharge a phone - so even if you wanted to use your phone as alarm clock you had to get out of bed to hit the snooze button. The bath room was clean. Sheets and towels were clean. Breakfast was standard fare with choice of pastries, bagels. muffins, eggs, waffle maker, yogurt. There was a cappucino maker which was actually decent.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
What a nice review. Thank you kindly. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again the future. We are in the process of a renovation and should finish by year end. Always find the best rates and specials by booing directly. There is a link to at the top of the page. Thanks again, Cris Vasquez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed at this hotel several times and always found it to be very comfortable, good value and friendly. Being situated in the Gas lamp area means that you don't need a car to get around and it's only a 5 minute walk to the trolley stop on 5th and C, which can take you most places in the city very cheaply. There are loads of bars and restaurants in Gas lamp area and its really lively from Thursday night to Sunday.

The free breakfast at the Comfort Inn is really excellent with loads of choices, you can even make your own waffles.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
gmcomfortSanDiego, General Manager at Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thanks for your review. We really appreciate you return business. We are fortunate to have so many guests that return year after year. I think its pretty cool that you reviewed us from your cell phone too. Hopefully as a return guest you know more room types and specials are available by booking directly through the hotel.
El Paso, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed here for 11 days from Sept. 17-28 and it was fantastic!! All the staff was extremely courteous,friendly, and helpful. Our price was going to be "xy" and we asked if they honored military discount and they said they did not really but since we were staying 11 days they knocked our price down to a great deal! That was the best service we have ever had. We were not expecting it to be this good but it was great. I have severe back problems so I do not sleep good in at all but my wife did. The room was always clean, if we slept in they came back in the afternoon to clean the room, I have been all over the world and I think this is the first place that has happened. When we plan our next trip to San Diego we will definitely keep this place at the top of our list.

Room Tip: our room had a decent view right on G street, it was't too loud at night even though it was on a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for a great review. It feels good to hear so much positive feedback from your stay. We try very hard to meet everyone's expectations and it appears we succeeded with you. I hope you will come back and stay with us on future trips to San Diego. We are in the midst of a major renovation and the hotel will have a chic modern look the next time you come. All the best, Cris
Alfreton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

An excellent hotel and we enjoyed our stay there. Very clean all round and had a good choice at breakfast time.Staff very helpful with information when we needed it.Hotel situated in good location for transportation and Restaurants.We will definitley be going back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you. It looks like we hit 3 of the most important features a hotel wants to succeed at. Cleanliness throughout, a good breakfast to start the day and great customer service. We strive hard in these areas everyday and I am glad we got it right for your stay. Best,Cris
Southern US State
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Just completed my 3-night stay while attending a conference nearby. It started out pretty decent, and finished with a pleasant conclusion. The middle...nothing that I couldn't live through.

As several have mentioned already, this "motel/hotel" is extremely well situated to the famed, historical Gaslamp District. However, being that close and being downtown, you will be exposed to plenty - and I mean PLENTY - of homeless, even less-than-desirable locals. It's a fact of life in a big city - but perhaps that would be the deciding point of whether you stay at this location with children.

Yes, the CI is old - obviously old - but they are doing what they can to maintain and upgrade. You could hear it start early in the morning, and last most of the day. You best look elsewhere if you're going to be concerned about dusty/musty corners of bathtubs where they meet the bathroom walls; you best look elsewhere if you're concerned about window-installed air-conditioners; you best look elsewhere if you're not pleased about the awkward setup of the "sink" being literally beside the beds, completely off-situated from the bathroom.

You DEFINITELY can stay here if you're open-minded, willing to accept age and not-so Pot Purri smelling carpets, noisey ceiling fans, noisey air-conditions (but at least they WORK!), and the occassional less-than-chi-chi local hanging around the front. Keep to yourself, do your thing, enjoy the Gaslamp, a ballgame (within minutes of walking out the front door I might add), catch a movie (literally feet out to the west of the front door), or hit Buca for a fat, sodium and CARBO-infused fill-your-face-a-thon right next door.

Dorine was really pleasant, as were the rest of the front desk staff. Soda machines on 1st (didn't work) and 4th floors (bill slot was jammed/coin slot worked). Just be forwarned...the "20oz bottle" appearing on the front of the machine is NOT what you're paying $1.50 for! :) Snack machine on 3rd, ice on 2nd... Breakfast is ok - I mean, for what you're paying and what's available at other "motels/hotels" in the area, it's probably about as good-as-it-gets (bagged eggs - warmed-up; sausage links, bagels, english muffins, peanut butter, cream cheese, yogurts, 5 cereal dispensers, waffle-maker, and so on.

Finally...upon checkout (contrary to what is currently advertised on their website), I was provided a taxi voucher to get me back to the airport. Nice touch... free round-trip I guess you could say. Oh, and speaking of out-dated website....there isn't any popcorn... :( But you can pick-up a box of microwave popcorn at nearby convenience stores.

I can't say I didn't survive the stay. Will I bring my wife and 11-year-old daughter to my next visit in San Diego...ummm...no, not at all. But if I have to come for business or a conference again? Heck ya! I'm good with it...and even ventured out on my own at most normal hours of the day and night with narry a problem. Lots of Law Enforcement and even Private Security folks on bikes to ensure the Tourist Trap keeps'em comin' back!

Bon Voyage!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Queensland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We had not done any research and ended up looking for somewhere to stay as I drove down from LA. We knew that for us being foodies that the Gaslamp district was the area, so we looked at Comfort Inn and booked it. Very easy to get to, parking was additional cost ($15 per night) and across the road out the back and you had to get the latest ticket and display it in your car or it would get towed!!!
Bed was a double so it was the closest we have slept in years, just kidding!!! Air con was noisy and I loved the way the blinds had been cut to suit the air con!!! As someone else said once you finish in the loo, you have to wash your hands in the bedroom, so imagine this, naked 48 year old male goes to loo during het night, with just enough street light to allow me to navigate around the bed, then once finished carefully slid down the wife’s side to the sink where the noise of the water and me knocking over things wakes wife, first thing she sees is a hairy behind 12 inches from her face!!!!!! So to say the room is compact is close. Breakfast is supplied free, but on Tripadvisor it did not say that, it is very close to the places we wanted to visit and very easy to get back to when you have had a few. Adjacent there is a fantastic little café, which we did lunch in. so all in all if you are after somewhere cheap with no frills and in a great location this is for you.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We spent 2 nights during the week. The location is good, you can walk to Downtown/Gaslamp and not have to worry about driving home if you drink. The beds were comfortable.
The parking was a bit awkward, and I had not seen on the website that they charged for parking - $18 per night, which is a bit less than everyone else.
The employees and guests all stand right outside the front entrance to have their smokes - it was a bit disgusting and I would not risk it if you have any sensitivities to smoke.
The bathroom sink in our room was outside the bathroom. A little awkward and funny, but not a big deal.
I would stay here again. It's not the Ritz, but it is clean and in a good location. Oh - and I like the breakfast they offer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Comfort Inn Gaslamp / Convention Center? Share your experiences!