“No reason to go anywhere else” 5 of 5 stars

The Inn at Sunset Cliffs
1370 Sunset Cliffs Blvd, San Diego, CA 92107 (Ocean Beach)   |
Ranked #35 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
MrHarris
“No reason to go anywhere else”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

I've definitely made this my home away from home. This last time I was booking my business trip to San Diego I had decided to try another place just to see if I could discover another great get-a-way hotel. I won't say which one, but I checked into a very nice upscale hotel in the downtown and checked out the next morning to go back to The Inn at Sunset Cliffs. It's in an area that's just unbeatable. It's got the most amazing view of any of the hotels I've seen in Southern California, and a great helpful staff. The outside patio is a little beat up, but they make do with nice tables and chairs to enjoy the view. The rooms all look as if they've just been remodeled recently, and the location is a very laid back coffee shop/bakery type neighborhood. Love it, and hope you guys can find this place as lovely as I did.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

This is really a motel with a nice view of the ocean. Rooms are very small, the pool is the size of a postage stamp. I found the internet pictures terribly misleading. Everything is much smaller than it appears. There is no beach access and no access at all to the water from the hotel. You can get access from public paths but they make for difficult walking. I enjoyed the neighbourhood, very residential and very pretty. Management was as unhelpful as they could possibly be, rude, unpleasant for a single woman traveling alone.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
InnatSunsetCliffs, Manager at The Inn at Sunset Cliffs, responded to this review, October 6, 2010
We currently post all rooms online with photos our guest have taken themselves as well as posted square footage of the room in the description online. We suggest you read the room description before making a reservation. We still have 80% of the suites set up as an apartment and not your standard hotel rooms. We have not had any professional photos done, one main reason for that is to not miss lead our potential customers. All photos posted were taken by a guest some time within the last few years. See what we see. 80% of our rooms are actually larger than your standard hotel suite. Being an apartment complex in the 50's, our suites are spacious and comfortable enough to live in. Our management team focuses directly on customer service. Our customers are our friends. We take pride to ensure our customers are satisfied and we are willing to do whatever it takes to make sure you enjoy your stay while at the Inn at Sunset Cliffs and in San Diego.
Stockport, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

Firstly, we never actaully stayed at the Inn as we checked in and out within the hour. I booked three nights here almost a year in advance based on the reviews but Sunset Cliffs just wasn't for us. Firstly location - we thought the whole area was shabby and down at heel, we were advised that there are no restaurants within walking distance and the trip to Downtown and the Gaslight Quarter took over half an hour in the car and this was just too far for us. The Inn itself looked old and run down, grey pebble dash and lots of rust, this was really off putting as we drove up. We were booked with our two children into a large suite (more of an apartment) which looked adequate and clean but quite soulless and not at all attractive. We decided immediately not to stay. The staff, on the other hand, were great. I explained we did not want to be so far out and they offered their help in finding alternative accomodation. I paid for one night (I do think the price was very expensive for the quality of the accomodation) and we went to the Bayfront Hilton which we loved.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
InnatSunsetCliffs, Manager at The Inn at Sunset Cliffs, responded to this review, August 24, 2010
The hotel will be repainting the building and replacing the doors within the next six months.We are located in Ocean Beach in San Diego. We support local businesses and try to keep this small community low key and not commercialized. The hotel is located directly on Sunset Cliffs. This area is known for its peace, tranquility, and beauty. We are not in direct traffic of all attractions but are just a few minutes away. We suggest you look on a map to see where we are located. We prefer to be "away" from all the action to create our own atmosphere for vacationing. No traffic noise, no crazy people running by your suite. Just the ocean and you...
boulder colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

We (an adult and two teenage boys) just returned from a week long stay. We booked about 6 months in advance and got a bargain rate on a 2 bedroom unit. There was a wedding, but we weren't bothered by noise because were on the second floor on the other side of the property. Slept each night to the sound of the waves. The best part of the hotel is the fantastic location, right on the ocean, with the waves crashing below.The Sunset Cliffs Natural Park is right up the road, perfect for a walk along the ocean cliffs. However, I ended up spending a fair amount of time driving the teens to Mission/Pacific Beach where they wanted to hang out. (Let me tell you driving in San Diego is not for the timid driver.) I appreciated the peace and loveliness of the location more than the boys did, but they enjoyed the pool and building a fire down by the ocean at night. Staff was friendly and helpful, and the rooms were clean (I added extra tips for the housekeepers and they were extremely attentive.) Free wi-fi was a great benefit. The furniture in the rooms could be updated. We did not have a kitchen but the property has a grill available, and the room had a mini fridge, and lots of good restaurants are close by (try Pepe's for Italian.) When we were there we saw many families with very young children who seemed to be enjoying themselves. The gardens are beautiful, and the whole place is very laid back and relaxed, with two friendly little dogs running around greeting the guests and looking for handouts. I'm definitely planning on booking another stay here, but maybe next time I'll leave the teenagers at home.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

Recently stayed there on a Friday and Saturday night. We got the King suite in the upper corner closest to the Wedding facility. When I booked the room I wish I would have been told that this room ... and the whole hotel in fact ... are super close to this place and that there would be a wedding on Saturday night. The windows to your suite were priceless as they were huge with terrific access to the water views and ocean air/sounds. Friday night at 11:30 pm someone at the wedding facility cranked up two generators right outside of our window to turn on some flood lights also right outside out window. There were people staying underneath us who were partying and shouting from their hotel window to the people over the fence at this place. This did not go on too long but it was enough to ruin our $300 per night hotel room stay. We put on the room's a/c and that helped us to go back to sleep. Saturday at 4pm the wedding started and we just rolled out eyes as we were trying to relax in our room. It lasted until 10 pm. Put is this way, when there is a wedding there...everyone at the hotel is "at the wedding"...but you don't get to eat.

Otherwise the facility is pretty nicely presented though it really needs some outside updating. The room was very nice and much like staying at a friend's house rather than a hotel room. If you are in to that then this is the place for you. It is not fancy but the location is what saves this place - right on the water! I don't know that I would pay for that same room again ... I would certainly ask about a wedding when booking that room or ANY room there again. I think the hotel staff should be able to tell you when the weddings will be so that you can plan to be out of the room or something.

We did really enjoy sitting and taking in the ocean on the back patio - that was priceless. I think that saved our whole experience.

I think that the rooms are really pricy for the quality of the facility itself but they can command this because of the location. So, I would say don't expect much from the hotel itself but expect a lot of ocean breezes and beautiful views.

Still struggling with "would I stay there again"...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

Not only is this a beautiful hotel with one of the most spectacular views you could imagine- but the staff are extremely kind and helpful. Checking in was a breeze and front desk worker, Liz, was able to provide lots of great information as to good restuarants to eat at, local places to see and attractions for the kids. She really took the time to make sure that all of our needs were met and that we were enjoying out stay. This kind of attentiveness is rare these days and it was nice to have a staff that was so willing to help us enjoy our time.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Port Chester, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

As most reviews state, the view of the sunset from this location is five star (at least) and there are comfortable chairs and lounges to watch from. Except for the location, though, this is a 3 or 3 1/2 star motel. It's clean and comfortable, a little worn, especially on the outside, and the units are very variable in terms of size and view. We were on the second floor with good views of the ocean. I would think the first floor could also be noisy depending on who is in the unit above. The price reflects the location, not the accomodation. I am not sure whether I'd recommend this place or not.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Inn at Sunset Cliffs? Share your experiences!