“Charming, but probably not for everyone” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
50% off room rate
Ranked #45 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Swifton, AR
“Charming, but probably not for everyone”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

If you are looking for all the frills and amenities of the Hilton, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a charming place to stay that is right on the water (no beach) consider it. We had a large group, so had the opportunity to see various room types. The poolside queen is a little on the small side. The 2 bedroom suite was nice, had a sitting area and fridge/microwave. The one bedroom suite with a kitchen is also nice. Keep in mind this is a very old motel that has been renovated. I felt it was clean and the renovations were nice, but it still has a rustic, old feel. My parent's room had an air conditioner problem and changing rooms was not a problem. Parking is somewhat limited. The windows open and have screens, so you can truly experience the ocean and breeze. There is also some outdoor seating where you can enjoy the ocean. Beach access is a few blocks away. I am not someone who feels they have to have all the luxury of the Ritz, so I would stay there again. My teenagers loved it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

The location is the best part of this hotel. On the cliffs in a quiet neighborhood. The hotel itself was passable.I'm told that it was recently remodeled, but I couldn't tell. It's basically a half step above a motel 6 on the water. My room was on the first floor (pool queen) closest to the water, so I had a peek-a-boo view which was nice. What wasn't so nice is the patio for the general public was right outside the door, so I could hear every conversation and had to keep the blinds closed for privacy, so I didn't enjoy what view I had. The bed was awful. So hard a squeaky, I'm not sure it was a real mattress. Whatever it was, it was THE most uncomfortable thing I have ever slept on.

The grounds need some work too. There are many many rose bushes and boxes with roses everywhere. I like roses but it's a strange choice for a beach location. Why not palm trees or bougainvilla or anything more tropical and less english garden? It had the feeling of walking into grandma's house.

The hotel is family friendly and many children loved playing in the pool for hours. Screaming and splashing and having a good time. So, if you want a quiet place to rest and relax I might chose another location.

The staff was very friendly, nice a accommodating. Everyone was a great.

The deck that leads to the ocean needs serious work, sorry I don't have a photo to show the disrepair. The laundry and storage are could also use some attention. I know rust is an issue near the water but it looks like awhile since anyone has been in that area.

It seems to me that most of the reviews here are from the presidential suite, which I didn't see. Perhaps it's worth the extra money? Its probably the only place to actually hear the waves crashing, I know I didn't hear anything. Maybe you have to take the room on the second floor to experience that??

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor in the front facing the ocean.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Peoria, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Stayed here to visit with some friends that live at Sunset Cliffs. My sister and I stayed in a two bedroom with a little living area. The furniture was a little dated but everything was clean. Refrigerator and microwave was very convenient. Great area to sit and watch the ocean... Very peaceful with absolutely beautiful flowers.

The only thing I would have liked is a little more access to the air conditioning in the bedrooms. Depending on only the breeze from the windows made it a little warm in the bedrooms.

Be aware that the one bedroom room is very small. Two people would be really stuffed in a room that size. Parking is also very difficult to secure.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the right side of the hotel. The hotel immediately on the left can be noisy.
Green Features: Encourages guests to conserve water and recycle...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed here for a few nights with our family, including 2 kids (teen and tween), primarily because the views looked so beautiful online and also because the TV series, "Veronica Mars" was filmed here and we are big fans (was a nice surprise to the kids who realized it immediately upon our arrival). We stayed in the 2 bedroom suite which was certainly big enough for the 4 of us--one of the kids slept out on the sofa bed--and the beds were pretty comfortable. We could hear the ocean with the windows open (although we could also hear the street traffic early in the morning unfortunately but it wasn't a deal breaker). The views from the deck over the cliffs were truly gorgeous and we just couldn't get enough of sitting and watching the sunset, the birds diving for fish, and the crashing waves. My only complaint is that the floors of our room felt a little dirty--as if they hadn't been washed recently (maybe sand?)--and we wished we didn't feel the grittiness as we walked around barefoot. But as mentioned, the views and the beautiful gardens more than made up for it. The location is also great--drove 5 minutes to great breakfasts in OB and was a short drive to anywhere else that we wanted to go in San Diego (and was a nice respite at the end of the days that we spent in the city). Definitely recommend it if you're looking for a small and unique property with beautiful ocean views.

Tempe, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We had a horrible experience at this motel last weekend. The rooms are very old and need updated, the furniture and beds are horrible. The biggest factor was our room was very dirty. the floors and bathroom disgusting. We had to wear flipflops and put down towels on the floor of the bathroom. The glasses left in the room to use were so bad , I would not even let my dog drink out of them. Could not sleep because of the loud noises next door and smell of smoke filled the room from a bon fire. A night manager ok a discount after I ask for it because of noise and smoke filled room. At Check out the morning manager Todd? argued with me over the discount instead of saying he was sorry about our experience . It was unbelievable. Needless to say I will not go back again and will let all my friends know in Point Loma. The view and gardens are beautiful.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

This is a hidden gem for sure. The hotel grounds are immaculate and adorned with beautiful flowers everywhere. Open the windows and you can hear the sounds of the waves crashing and feel the ocean breeze. The room I chose had a kitchen stocked with plates, silverware, pots, pans, glasses and anything else you might need to prepare any meal. There is a grill out on the deck which overlooks the ocean. The staff was very friendly and helpful with all our needs. There is beach access within easy walking distance. I will definitely be returning in the future.

• Stayed June 2014
Peoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

This was our first time staying at this secret hideaway. The first thing when you walk up is the smell of all the flowers that are planted on the grounds. You are greeted by friendly hotel staff that are eager to answer any questions and to make sure you enjoy your stay. The hotel is small and quaint and has the most breath taking view off of the cliffs. They have plenty of seating on the terrace to enjoy some s'mores near the firepit while watching the sun set.

We stayed in the 2-bedroom on the second floor and we had plenty of room and storage for our bags. The few negatives I have are that the new floors in the rooms were a little squeaky and I felt bad for those staying under us. The second thing is that there are very few cable channels but I didn't come to watch TV.

We will stay here again and will share our new find with all of our family and friends!! Thank you to all of the staff for being so accommodating and friendly!

• Stayed July 2014

Been to The Inn at Sunset Cliffs? Share your experiences!