“Perfect place for a Wedding” 5 of 5 stars

The Inn at Sunset Cliffs
1370 Sunset Cliffs Blvd, San Diego, CA 92107 (Ocean Beach)   |
Ranked #31 of 269 hotels in San Diego
San Diego, California
“Perfect place for a Wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We just got married there and had the most amazing time. The staff was incredible, extremely helpful! Our families had so much fun, and our friends said it was the best wedding ever! The different rooms allow for all your different sized families and friends. Great for people traveling with children (bring your baby monitor out on to the dance floor!) Great location, you can walk to downtown Ocean Beach, and a quick cab/drive to Shelter Island/Liberty Station.The manager is a huge help in planning and in day of coordinating. We could not have asked for anything more!

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite is awesome!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

247 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Concord, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We just got married at the Inn at Sunset Cliffs and it was soooo AMAZING!! The hotel is awesome, the rooms are awesome, the location is awesome, and most importantly Gavin and his staff are amazing!! Gavin did such a great job with our wedding, he took the time to figure out exactly what we wanted and carried it out perfectly. We received star treatment the whole time, he lead our rehearsal perfectly, and on the day of he took care of everything (timeline, vendors, etc) so all we had to worry about was ourselves. My family and friends are still talking about how perfect everything was, how nice the staff was, and how cool of a location it was. It was such an amazing experience, I recommend everyone get married here! Thank you to Gavin and the staff at the Inn! We had such a wonderful day!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great! You can hear the ocean from every room!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

We just had our wedding ceremony and reception at the Inn at Sunset Cliffs. It was absolutely BEAUTIFUL--we simply could not have picked a better location. Everyone kept raving about the gorgeous view. And with most guests staying at the Inn, we loved the community of the experience--everyone already knew each other by the time the wedding took place. Gavin and his crew were excellent, as well, ensuring that our event was a success. I highly recommend it to anyone vacationing or planning a special event!!! :)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

This beautiful Inn was the perfect spot for our October Wedding. The staff was amazing, the rooms were beautiful and the location was incredible. I cannot say enough good things about this place. The staff helped us to plan the wedding of our dreams. There is a beautiful lower terrace where we exchanged vows that is about as close as you can get to the ocean with out getting wet. I recommend this Inn to any one planning a romantic, intimate wedding or looking to get away and enjoy the view. AMAZING! AMAZING! AMAZING!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Found this great property on LA Times. Just wanted to get away from Los Angeles and enjoy some ocean breeze. The property is situated in a residential area but is close to 1 rest and 1 liquor/mart store.

Small and quaint with a great ocean view from their property. I was able to have dinner and enjoy the view from one of their outdoor tables and coffee and a newspaper in the morning enjoying the morning before heading out to breakfast.

Rooms are small, but who stays the room when there is such a great view.

Million dollar view and the rate was really reasonable. Great staff too.

Room Tip: There is a very small rest just about 200 ft from the property where you can order takeout seafood a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
InnatSunsetCliffs, Manager at The Inn at Sunset Cliffs, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We appreciate your business and hope you return in the near future. The hotel is here for guest just like you, who enjoy an amazing ocean view. We like to hear how you enjoyed the location. We are always updating rooms throughout the year. Hope you will be back soon. Thank you!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

pros: million dollar view, great location, professional staff, nice sheets, not musty, clean rooms, heated pool, beautiful courtyard smells like roses, firepit, quiet at night, off the main drag but close, right on the water, gorgeous sunsets, comfy lounge furniture on patio, good coffee in the morning, microwave and mini fridge in every room without a full kitchen, excellent wedding venue, good energy.

Cons: some furniture in a few rooms a little rough around the edges; not enough parking for a wedding (though the church across the street accepts donations for use of theirs); after taking suitcases to car and returning to their room to get it out of the fridge, our friends discovered the maids were already eating some leftover wedding cake our friends had saved.

From the moment my fiancée and I walked through the entrance into the courtyard, we knew this was the place our wedding was going to happen. With 26 rooms of varying size and capacity, a pool in the courtyard with beautiful teak lounge chairs and tables on the upper terrace overlooking the water, a firepit and more comfy, cushy patio furniture around it on the lower terrace, I knew our guests would enjoy it as well. The landscaping surrounding the pool includes bright green grass and beautiful, tall roses that, as the hotel manager promised, were in full bloom for our wedding. I didn't have to decorate much for the wedding, as there were so many beautiful flowers potted all over the hotel.
The presidential suite was phenomenal! I'm really bummed it was such a hectic weekend that we never had the chance to soak in the hot tub overlooking the ocean, but I can say the bed was heavenly! The sheets were luxurious, and fresh, despite the proximity to the water. The rooms with full kitchens were the perfect place to gather around the table for a few drinks or spread some food out. The queen rooms were small, but comfortable, and after all, one doesn't spend much time in their room in a place like that. Our friends walked down to Newport Ave to check out the local scene and do some shopping. The groom and all the guys had a fun bachelor night at the bars. Our parents' friends easily found nice places to eat in nearby point loma and downtown.
As far as holding your wedding there, you get the entire hotel to yourselves, no strangers staying among you, no one passing through. There's one entrance to the place, so I didn't have to worry about security (gifts going missing). I did it the easy way and hired Phil's BBQ to cater my wedding. They provide a bartender as well, so that was covered, too! The hotel has enough tables and chairs and linens for the maximum allowed capacity. They moved all the teak furniture, and actually utilized some of it for the dj, guest book, gift, and cake tables, and set up their tables the morning of the event. The only things I had to rent were the table settings. And more lights (the Inn purposely leaves the patios unlit to be able to enjoy stargazing at night with less light interference). Raphael's rentals has worked events at the inn before, so that was another easy decision, as they were already familiar with the location and its quirks, like overspray from heavy surf potentially damaging a dance floor set up the night before.
Oh yeah, the surf... We had to time our wedding around low tide because at high tide, there is potential for a water show that rivals the bellagio's, especially if it is a particularly high high tide.
The staff: I should have put this at the top of my review, because the staff is what really made the day exceptional. From meeting with Gavin, the hotel manager, to discuss the layout of tables and buffet and dance floor, I knew I was in good hands. Planning your own wedding is stressful, and his eneregy was always calm and reassuring. He was my coordinator, reminding me to send him a picture so he could have personalized room key cards made for the event, contacting my vendors for me to acquire necessary contracts, informing me of available rooms so I could help organize my friends and family into suitable rooms. The day before the wedding Gavin helped us through our rehearsal, coordinating the dj and music with how long it takes to walk down the ramp and aisle; he told us where to pause for pictures (making sure our photographers were aware of the plan as well. The photogs were our friends and were present at rehearsal). The day of, by the time I woke, his staff were already moving furniture, setting up tables and chairs, power washing the patios. My florist was able to put out the centerpieces and decorate the other tables when she arrived. Throughout the day, Gavin was right there to let me know it was time for the ceremony to start, time to make the grand entrance, time for cake. It's hard to explain how Gavin and his staff were simultaneously invisible, but always right there when needed. I can only describe their service as beyond professional! Once things started winding down, and the majority of guests who were not staying at the Inn had left, the staff started to take away tables and replace them with the patio furniture, creating a comfortable, social environment for us to hang out around, play music on the iPod and continue to dance. and they danced all night, which was a sign to me that the event was a success and our guests enjoyed their stay.
In fact, I didn't hear one complaint about the place from anyone I spoke with after our wedding.

Room Tip: If you're looking for A bargain: queen room. Small but comfy for two max. A family retreat: tw...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
WOWOW!!! You are awesome! Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are so proud to hear you enjoyed your wedding at our location. This means a lot of us here at the hotel. You two are such a great couple, we love being able to host your special day. From meeting you two, all the way to the day of, you guys rocked! Great attitude towards life. We are really happy for you two! Don't be strangers to our location. Hope to see you 4th of July! Thanks again and we are really happy to hear all the positive things you have to say about your experience with us!
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

The hotel is small, the guests are quiet, the staff is friendly, helpful and laid back, the location is convenient, oh and not to mention the views are SPECTACULAR! My favorite part is falling asleep/waking up to the sound of the waves hitting the cliffs. Returning guests are treated with a warm welcome back every time. I have come to stay at this hotel every April for 3 years now. The room prices are very affordable. If I could rate this hotel a 10 out of 5 I would!

Room Tip: get a room as close as possible to the edge.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. We appreciate your business and hope you visit us again soon. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the views! Our staff work hard to ensure you enjoy your stay. We are local residents and enjoy working at this location. Please let us know if there is anything we may do for you in the future. Thanks!

Been to The Inn at Sunset Cliffs? Share your experiences!