“Beautiful hotel, awesome staff, great wedding venue!” 5 of 5 stars

1370 Sunset Cliffs Blvd, San Diego, CA 92107 (Ocean Beach)   |
Ranked #34 of 268 hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
San Diego, California
“Beautiful hotel, awesome staff, great wedding venue!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

pros: million dollar view, great location, professional staff, nice sheets, not musty, clean rooms, heated pool, beautiful courtyard smells like roses, firepit, quiet at night, off the main drag but close, right on the water, gorgeous sunsets, comfy lounge furniture on patio, good coffee in the morning, microwave and mini fridge in every room without a full kitchen, excellent wedding venue, good energy.

Cons: some furniture in a few rooms a little rough around the edges; not enough parking for a wedding (though the church across the street accepts donations for use of theirs); after taking suitcases to car and returning to their room to get it out of the fridge, our friends discovered the maids were already eating some leftover wedding cake our friends had saved.

From the moment my fiancée and I walked through the entrance into the courtyard, we knew this was the place our wedding was going to happen. With 26 rooms of varying size and capacity, a pool in the courtyard with beautiful teak lounge chairs and tables on the upper terrace overlooking the water, a firepit and more comfy, cushy patio furniture around it on the lower terrace, I knew our guests would enjoy it as well. The landscaping surrounding the pool includes bright green grass and beautiful, tall roses that, as the hotel manager promised, were in full bloom for our wedding. I didn't have to decorate much for the wedding, as there were so many beautiful flowers potted all over the hotel.
The presidential suite was phenomenal! I'm really bummed it was such a hectic weekend that we never had the chance to soak in the hot tub overlooking the ocean, but I can say the bed was heavenly! The sheets were luxurious, and fresh, despite the proximity to the water. The rooms with full kitchens were the perfect place to gather around the table for a few drinks or spread some food out. The queen rooms were small, but comfortable, and after all, one doesn't spend much time in their room in a place like that. Our friends walked down to Newport Ave to check out the local scene and do some shopping. The groom and all the guys had a fun bachelor night at the bars. Our parents' friends easily found nice places to eat in nearby point loma and downtown.
As far as holding your wedding there, you get the entire hotel to yourselves, no strangers staying among you, no one passing through. There's one entrance to the place, so I didn't have to worry about security (gifts going missing). I did it the easy way and hired Phil's BBQ to cater my wedding. They provide a bartender as well, so that was covered, too! The hotel has enough tables and chairs and linens for the maximum allowed capacity. They moved all the teak furniture, and actually utilized some of it for the dj, guest book, gift, and cake tables, and set up their tables the morning of the event. The only things I had to rent were the table settings. And more lights (the Inn purposely leaves the patios unlit to be able to enjoy stargazing at night with less light interference). Raphael's rentals has worked events at the inn before, so that was another easy decision, as they were already familiar with the location and its quirks, like overspray from heavy surf potentially damaging a dance floor set up the night before.
Oh yeah, the surf... We had to time our wedding around low tide because at high tide, there is potential for a water show that rivals the bellagio's, especially if it is a particularly high high tide.
The staff: I should have put this at the top of my review, because the staff is what really made the day exceptional. From meeting with Gavin, the hotel manager, to discuss the layout of tables and buffet and dance floor, I knew I was in good hands. Planning your own wedding is stressful, and his eneregy was always calm and reassuring. He was my coordinator, reminding me to send him a picture so he could have personalized room key cards made for the event, contacting my vendors for me to acquire necessary contracts, informing me of available rooms so I could help organize my friends and family into suitable rooms. The day before the wedding Gavin helped us through our rehearsal, coordinating the dj and music with how long it takes to walk down the ramp and aisle; he told us where to pause for pictures (making sure our photographers were aware of the plan as well. The photogs were our friends and were present at rehearsal). The day of, by the time I woke, his staff were already moving furniture, setting up tables and chairs, power washing the patios. My florist was able to put out the centerpieces and decorate the other tables when she arrived. Throughout the day, Gavin was right there to let me know it was time for the ceremony to start, time to make the grand entrance, time for cake. It's hard to explain how Gavin and his staff were simultaneously invisible, but always right there when needed. I can only describe their service as beyond professional! Once things started winding down, and the majority of guests who were not staying at the Inn had left, the staff started to take away tables and replace them with the patio furniture, creating a comfortable, social environment for us to hang out around, play music on the iPod and continue to dance. and they danced all night, which was a sign to me that the event was a success and our guests enjoyed their stay.
In fact, I didn't hear one complaint about the place from anyone I spoke with after our wedding.

Room Tip: If you're looking for A bargain: queen room. Small but comfy for two max. A family retreat: tw...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
InnatSunsetCliffs, Manager at The Inn at Sunset Cliffs, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
WOWOW!!! You are awesome! Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are so proud to hear you enjoyed your wedding at our location. This means a lot of us here at the hotel. You two are such a great couple, we love being able to host your special day. From meeting you two, all the way to the day of, you guys rocked! Great attitude towards life. We are really happy for you two! Don't be strangers to our location. Hope to see you 4th of July! Thanks again and we are really happy to hear all the positive things you have to say about your experience with us!

255 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

The hotel is small, the guests are quiet, the staff is friendly, helpful and laid back, the location is convenient, oh and not to mention the views are SPECTACULAR! My favorite part is falling asleep/waking up to the sound of the waves hitting the cliffs. Returning guests are treated with a warm welcome back every time. I have come to stay at this hotel every April for 3 years now. The room prices are very affordable. If I could rate this hotel a 10 out of 5 I would!

Room Tip: get a room as close as possible to the edge.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. We appreciate your business and hope you visit us again soon. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the views! Our staff work hard to ensure you enjoy your stay. We are local residents and enjoy working at this location. Please let us know if there is anything we may do for you in the future. Thanks!
Newbury Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I recently visited the Inn at Sunset Cliffs again, and in addition to the spectacular rooms, and view, I was plesantly surprised to see you can fish right at the hotel. My husband Steve really enjoyed this amenity, that no other hotel offers. We could cook the fish right in our room. It was so enjoyable!!!! Gavin the manager was so accomodating, and everytime we stay at the Inn we feel so special, and are treated just like family. I have traveled extensively, and this has the best view, and oceanfront rooms hands down. If you are wondering if you should stay here, don't hesitate. You will be very happy!!!!! I can't wait until I am fortunate enough to stay here again. SUPERB!!!!!!!

Room Tip: The presidential suite is absolutely AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! All the rooms are wonderful!!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Finally got a chance to return to this gem after a long time away. As usual, flowers were blooming and the ocean view was spectacular. My favorite part of this place is the 30 steps from room to water. No packing beach chairs or ice chests, and no worries about glass bottles or alcohol. My room was spotless and stayed that way the entire week due to the prompt housekeepers. My family and I will definitely return to the Inn (hopefully sooner than later!)

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Can you imagine the perfect sunset on a lovely terrace overlooking the ocean for your wedding? Thanks to Gavin and the Inn we were blessed to have this experience. That was four years ago. The property and staff were incredible then and continue to be the best part of our summer get away. The courtyard is something to witness. The location is minutes away from Ocean Beach, downtown San Diego, and Mission Beach. If you're looking for a relaxed, casual, down home vibe, this is the place for you.

We've stayed in almost every room at the property. Without exception, they've been clean and well appointed.

Do yourself a favor. Stay here.

Laguna Beach, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The Inn at Sunset Cliffs is one of two in Ocean Beach, so there isn't much choice if OB is where you have to stay. This hotel is out of harms way (away from the center of downtown-traffic-noise) and looks very nice from the exterior. The owners have made an attempt to make this hotel look decent and did a nice job painting the building and landscaping the property.

The hotel sits on an ocean-front cliff. There is no beach, but the property's patios overlook the ocean. There are comfortable teak chairs to relax and enjoy this view and what I believe is the best feature of this property. Note that the public area patio's are for all of the hotel guests and not part of the rooms. They also have a nice little pool but the required glass barricade doesn't leave room for lounge chairs.

The rooms...well let's just say this is where they fall down. The issue with older properties is that, as an owner, you are stuck with outdated structures. Some owners will put in the money to bring the rooms into the 21st Century while others think some paint and new furnishings will be enough to make their guests happy. The later is the case at this hotel, except the furnishings are not new. In fact, they were pretty bad. For example, the bed is a mattress on a metal frame, no head board and everything else looked like it was nice stuff that came from the Salvation Army.

The best feature of our room was the shower. The tiny five foot by six foot bathroom has a new granite tiled, two-head shower with decent water pressure. The bathroom and shower can only fit one person comfortably (and I'm not a large person). It's too bad that the full sized kitchen with dining area that we didn't use, was three times bigger than the bathroom.

Overall, this property still need some serious work to meet the rates they charge.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
InnatSunsetCliffs, Manager at The Inn at Sunset Cliffs, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the location and the property. I would like to apologize for your room not being what you thought it would be and not up to date. We try to let everyone know the quality of our rooms prior to their stay. We want you to enjoy your vacation to the max. We have slowly been upgrading each room from month to month when we can and have most of the rooms completed. There are still a hand full of rooms that will undergo a complete remodel, one of the few I believe was your room. Please accept our apology and we invite you back to our location to experience one of our updated rooms. Hope to see you again when visiting San Diego. Look out for our awesome new package deals coming soon!
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My husband and I have been staying there for 5 yrs. We were married there 4 yrs ago in August. We love it. this year we were there for almost 5 wks and it was just like being home. Gavin and staff are like family and were fabulous. Clean rooms and excellent service everyday! But nothing is better than the view right outside your door and beautiful gardens in the courtyard. Love waking up to the sounds of the waves each morning. We always bring bikes because everything is in biking distance and rarely use our car to go anywhere. Can't wait for next summer, each year is more amazing! LOVE IT!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others! We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon. Awesome guest like this make our property wonderful. Make your self at home and enjoy what the property gives us. Thank you for treating other guest like family as well. Makes a great atmosphere around the hotel for everyone. Until next summer...! Hopefully before then too!

Been to The Inn at Sunset Cliffs? Share your experiences!