“A Uniquely Fabulous Experience” 4 of 5 stars

The Inn at Sunset Cliffs
1370 Sunset Cliffs Blvd, San Diego, CA 92107 (Ocean Beach)   |
Ranked #31 of 269 hotels in San Diego
Dayton, Ohio
“A Uniquely Fabulous Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

A piece of paradise overlooking the ocean! Beautifully landscaped this smaller complex was the perfect choice for a night at Ocean Beach. Our two bedroom unit with small living room was nicely sized. There is a small frig & microwave. The view was so spectacular that the room was used only for sleeping. There is no beach access directly on this property but just an easy walk away.

The terraces are comfortable and private like. We bought firewood from across the street and fixed s'mores on the terrace. We had two 8 yr old girls who enjoyed the pool and the board games they had available. The staff was so kind and helpful. They appear very proud of this property and rightfully so.

Will admit that the walls seemed rather thin. Our neighbors were -how should I put this - quite active for hours. We are now experts on what she likes...

Would highly recommend. We all thought it would be a great location for a small wedding. The pictures would be gorgeous!

247 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Peoria, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

My wife and I booked 4 nights at this wonderful hotel for her 50th birthday. When we first arrived we had a small queen room. We inquired and the staff changed us to a 1 bedroom suite with a kitchen, living room and a bedroom and a complimentary bottle of wine. What a great room just off the ocean. I would highly recommend any of their suites,it is like a apartment on the ocean. The surf lulls you to sleep and the salt air was wonderful for my wife's congested lungs. The staff was very helpful with suggestions on places to shop and eat. Since our plan was to return home on Friday and no work until Monday we inquired if the room was available for Friday night and found out it was so we booked Friday and Saturday extra days and received a complimentary bottle of wine again. I would highly recommend this Inn for a relaxing stay with incredible views and the sunsets are unbelievable..

Room Tip: The poolside queen room is a bit small, would recommend upgrading to a suite, well worth the extra m...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

I am so in love with this hotel. It's charming, down to earth, beautiful flowers every where, and an amazing view of the ocean. I felt like i was in a different country. The front desk guy was very friendly. They offered us a complimentary bottle of wine. Everything was clean and had all the amenities I needed down to make up wipes/removers for the ladies. If i could do my vacation over, i would plan on staying in the hotel, relaxing, instead of touring the city. I love that they had comfy lounge chairs everywhere and a fire pit to encourage guests to gather outside and enjoy the ocean. I love that when i opened my bedroom window, i could hear the sound of the ocean waves. Falling asleep to that was amazing. I love that parking and wifi were free. I love the leather couch in the living room of the 2 bedroom suite i stayed in. I love the decor of the place in general. I would definitely come back to this hotel again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Keller, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

My family stayed here for 1 night to end our 8 days in San Diego. The staff member that checked us in was rude and not helpful at all. Our A/C unit went out and we were offered a small fan.

The view is great and the ocean sounds are like a lullaby.

The staff member that came the following day was friendly and helpful and almost made up for his rude co-worker. I don't think we would return to this hotel.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any bad rooms at this hotel. All the rooms have a nice view.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I want to start off by saying that I love the Ocean Beach area of San Diego. My husband and I drove around OB on one of our visits to California, and that is how I first discovered The Inn at Sunset Cliffs. The location is what appealed to me the most, right on the Sunset Cliffs. I love the ocean, but don't really enjoy a noisy, crowded sandy beach, so being on the cliffs like this was perfect. On May 5th, 2012, my family and I checked into the Inn for one night. Just a quick stay to check it out before moving on to our main vacation destination which was Disneyland.

The Inn quickly became my new favorite hotel. So much so that it inspired me to write my first ever tripadvisor review. It's just a charming little place to stay. Bright colors, open courtyard with beautiful flowers.
We were in Room 209, which is a two bedroom, one bathroom located upstairs. We have 6 family members, so my husband and I were in one room, my twins girls were in the other, my son slept on the living room couch, and we brought an airbed for my other daughter. It actually worked out very nicely. The couch was comfortable and there was plenty of room for the airbed.

The pool is heated, and my girls spent several hours in there enjoying it. There are chairs, loungers, and rockers down on the upper and lower patios so you can sit and relax while enjoying the ocean view. That is where my husband and I spent most of our time. As the evening wore on, more and more guests came out to enjoy the sunset. People were bringing out their dinner and eating it at the tables, kids were playing, adults were sitting around drinking wine. On the lower patio area there is a fire pit, so some guests brought some firewood and made a fire. It sounds a bit cheesy, but there was a sense of camaraderie among the guests that I've never really encountered at another hotel. Perhaps because this is a smaller place, only 24 rooms or so, that it feels more laid back.

A few other notes/recap:
Staff ~ Very welcoming and helpful.

Parking ~ Free and located directly behind the hotel. We never had a problem with finding a spot, but it does appear limited.

Elevators ~ There are none. We were on the second floor and had to make a couple trips to carry up all our belongings. It wasn't bad though, especially with four kids to help. lol

Food ~ No breakfast or other meals are offered. But, in our room we had a microwave and refrigerator. This worked perfectly for breakfast in the room, as well as keeping snacks and drinks chilled. There is also a coffee maker, but since we don't drink coffee, we didn't use it.
*On a side note, we ate lunch nearby at a place called Hodads. I highly recommend it. Delicious, juicy burgers, huge onion rings, and rich shakes all served by a fun staff in a cool, funky environment. Check it out!

Pool ~ Heated. My girls were comfortable swimming well into the evening despite a chill in the air once the sun started going down. It's on the small side, so it might get crowded on a busy summer day, but when we were there, they were the only ones using it.

Wireless Internet ~ Free, and we used this with no problems whatsoever.

Television/Entertainment ~ There was a flat screen in the living room, and a smaller t.v. in the second bedroom. No t.v. in the first bedroom. Then again, who needs t.v. with that view!

Bathroom ~ Large shower with shampoo and body wash dispensers. Window that opens with a nice ledge for setting razors, bottles, etc. Hair dryer. Not much counter space, although there is a cabinet that opens where we found extra rolls of toilet paper, towels and more storage. A few toiletries were provided including make-up remover pads which was a nice touch.

Bedrooms ~ Bright and airy. Cute bedspreads. Able to hear waves crashing when windows are left open. Limited storage (at least in Room 209) but workable. Beds were very comfortable. Slept great with the windows open and the sounds of the waves crashing.

Overall, my entire family loved it here. We will definitely be back again and again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
SCOTTSDALE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

What a lovely, serene, relaxing Inn! Grounds are absolutely gorgeous with flowers galore. Loved the outside sitting area with forever ocean views. Room (2 bedroom suite) was simple (nothing fancy, but quaint), spacious, and very clean with mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker. Wonderful walking path along ocean bluff just outside of Inn. Walked less than 1/2 block to an excellent little breakfast joint with delicious, tasty food and all kinds of smoothies. Staff at the Inn was very friendly, especially little Cruz, the Mini Pinscher - what a delight he was for our kids! =) Thoroughly enjoyed our stay here!

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Fabulous little inn with lots of fun color and very friendly helpful staff (Gavin & Abigail rock!). Room 114 is oceanfront, salt spray on our windows were just what we needed. Comfy King bed, Double shower heads in the bathroom. Flat screen on the wall, which we never turned on. Loved sleeping to the sound of the waves hitting the rocks at night. We walked up the street to a local coffee shop and picked up coffees with breakfast sandwiches. Enjoyed them in the Adirondack chairs in front of our room on the oceanfront deck. The little pool was very inviting but we didn't use it. The chilled bottle of Chardonnay was an added bonus (though we had to run to the office at 10pm for a corkscrew). This is the place we will go back to on our next getaway!

Room Tip: We were upgraded to an oceanfront King studio and what a fantastic upgrade it was!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Inn at Sunset Cliffs? Share your experiences!