“Great local secret.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7450 Hazard Center Drive, San Diego, CA 92108 (Mission Valley / Hotel Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Bed and Breakfast Package
Ranked #81 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersBronze level
La Mesa, United States
“Great local secret.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

From check in to check out we had the most enjoyable experience. As always, warm cookies were the check in treat and they accommodated our early check in request. Staff is friendly and professional. Will recommend to friends and family and will stay again.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Polish first
New Fairfield, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My check in went very well. I'm always happy and willing to get a warm cookie upon arrival at a DoubleTree! The young lady at the front desk was lovely, and my room was a bit dated, but fine. Room service was fine as well -- I ordered the same salad for dinner both nights, so that's a good sign!

My stay, however, didn't go very well, and I was VERY surprised and disappointed with the lack of professionalism at the front desk.

On the night before my departure, I asked the fellow at the front desk about arranging for a cab to the airport. I explained that I had a flight at 7am, and asked him what time he thought I should leave to get there (i.e., how far away is the airport, how long a drive, etc.)

He told me we were about 20 minutes from the airport, but had *no information* about how to arrange for a cab. Instead he referred me to Guest Services, located about 10 feet away from his post.

It was clear the Guest Services station was unmanned, so he told me to wait. After I waited for about 5 or 6 minutes with no Guest Services personnel appearing, in clear view to where the front desk clerk was standing, I went back to the desk and asked the clerk, "are you sure you can't give me any information about how to get a cab in the morning?"

He ask me where I was going. Um, I had just told him I was going to the airport for a 7am flight. There hadn't been any guests between when I asked him the first time and when I asked him the second time.

Also, he was no less than 10 feet away from me the whole time, watching me stand there. It was pretty surprising, but I thought maybe his mind was elsewhere and I shrugged it off.

About 30 minutes later, I was up in my room checking in for my flight. There were instructions in the room that provided an email address of where you can send your boarding pass and have it print at the front desk. It was an email address specific to the hotel. I followed the instructions, emailed the boarding pass and went down to the front desk to get it.

This time, I was helped by a woman. She had no idea what I was talking about when I asked where I could access my boarding pass. When I explained that, according to the instructions in the room, it should be somewhere at the front desk, in an email perhaps, she said she had no idea what I was talking about. So I figured she was new, and I politely asked for a manager.

She said she was the supervisor and she could help me. Okaaaaayyyyyy, so where was my boarding pass? She said she didn't know. Bizarre!!

So she asked the guy next to her (the same guy who knew nothing about cabs). When he told her he didn't know about it either, she then explained to me that there was a lot going on in hotels, and that the people who worked at the front desk couldn't possibly know everything there is to know about the workings of the hotel.

I asked her why there were instructions in the room for guests to print boarding passes if we couldn't actually access the boarding passes after following the instructions? She again said she had no idea what I was talking about, and despite her being there for a number of months, she never heard of such a service existing in the hotel.

Nonetheless, I offered to get the card with the instructions, and perhaps together we could track down the boarding pass.

It took me about 5 minutes to get up to my room, grab the instruction card and come back down. By this point, there was a small crowd of 6-7 people standing near the front desk, but only one of the crowd was actually at the counter being waiting on. It was clear the group was all together, as though they had just arrived.

I stood behind the person at the counter and patiently waited my turn. The two people behind the counter (the same man who knew nothing about cabs and the woman who knew nothing about boarding passes) were both helping the person in front of me while I waited.

When they finished with the person in front of me, I handed the instruction card to the woman, and she said "ma'am, these people are all in front of you", referring to the crowd of people who were standing off to the side.

I thought that was incredibly rude, since I had just been there 5 minutes ago, and she ignored me while I was waiting behind the person at the desk.

I turned to the crowd and explained that I had just been there 5 minutes earlier and had just run to my room to get something, and would they mind, etc. They encouraged me to go ahead.

By this point, I was very annoyed. Within 30 minutes, I asked for help with two simple things that routinely would be handled smoothly by hotel personnel. Both requests were handled poorly, and now the woman was just downright rude and antagonizing.

I swear I thought I was on Candid Camera -- the experience was like nothing I'd ever imagine from any hotel, let alone one so highly recommended.

The next morning, there were two different people at the front desk who were lovely, and who I told about the situation. I asked them to please let a manager know what had happened the night before. They were very nice and offered me a cookie :)

The next morning, I received an email from a manager at the hotel, asking if they could speak to me about what had happened. I responded promptly and gave them some times when I could be reached. That was 2 weeks or so ago, and I haven't heard from them since.

I don't normally write long-winded reviews, and I very rarely complain, if ever. However, this was the most bizarre experience at a hotel I've ever had, and I feel that someone in the organization needs to be aware of how rude the situations were handled.

Anyhow, I doubt I'll be back. For what it's worth, earlier in the week, I stayed at the Hilton across the way on Camino del Rio and loved it. I would recommend it highly. This Doubletree, however, was quite a disappointment.

Room Tip: If you prefer quite, best not to stay when the Chargers are in town. Lots of football fans roaming...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Samira M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We’re very sorry that your experience at our property wasn’t up to our usual high standards and we apologize for all the inconvenience you experienced. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We look for reviews to provide insight into our hotel and we apologize that this experience took away from your stay. We’ve addressed these issues with our staff and hope that next time you’re in the area you’ll visit us again and experience a higher level of customer service. Thank you again for your comments.
Veyo, Utah, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The staff at the DoubleTree Hotel on Hazard Center Drive were polite and very helpful during our stay. They recommended excellent restaurants and gave clear, concise directions to the local attractions. The location was perfect and we plan stay again!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Samira M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you for sharing your stay with us Wanda! We are happy to hear your stay was convenient to the football game at Qualcomm Stadium. We look forward to your next visit. :)
United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Did not receive any type of benefit for being a Gold member at this hotel. Asked for a fridge since I was staying for 3 weeks and was told it would be an extra $10 per day. No Manager's Reception as other Hilton brands have. Breakfast buffet was continental with an upgrade available for $7...

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for sharing your review with us. We are sorry that you had a disappointing experience during your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay.We will share your feedback with our team and we do hope you will consider staying with us again.
Las Vegas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This is a nice place to stay. You pay a little more and the room is nice. The location of the hotel is really good as well. However, do not prepay for the breakfasts. The selection is limited and the food has little or no taste. And you may here banging doors late at night or early in the morning like I did. That's just rude people not considering the time or other people.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Samira M, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Thank you for sharing your stay with us on TripAdvisor. We will share your feedback with our team and do hope you will stay with us again in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This hotel was nicer than I expected. We booked it because it's close to the football stadium. It's also right across the street from a Trolley stop that you can catch to the game. The hotel is a little pricey including parking, which if they are having an event you may not even get a parking spot. Checking in was a little disappointing. They had three agents but no real line which meant others were walking up to other agents and being checked in before we were. Shower was good but bathroom door is so flimsy my friend joked they might as well have no door on the bathroom. Room was a good size, nice and clean. If we weren't going to the Chargers game, we probably would avoid this hotel. With a huge shopping center nearby, which might be attractive to some, traffic was a pain. Bottom line for Charger games we will check out the rates of this property and stay again if its not too high.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your review with us. We are happy you found our location desirable for a football game at Qualcomm Stadium. We will share your feedback with our team in efforts to improve the guest experience. We look forward to your next stay.
Delta, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I stayed at this hotel in early December. I was there for business and my company picked the hotel. Be prepared to pay a lot of extras. Room wifi and parking were expensive and I was surprised to have to pay. The hotel had an "Old" feel but had been upgraded. However, I think they missed upgrading the elevators. You had to keep you fingers crossed that the elevator doors would open.

I'd look around for a better hotel.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We do offer packages that are inclusive of parking and internet if you would like to try one of those next time. We are also excited to announce we are making improvements to our elevators in 2015. We do hope you will stay with us again.

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley? Share your experiences!