“Perfect Location for the Gas Lamp District” 4 of 5 stars

Book Early + Save 15%
Ranked #75 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect Location for the Gas Lamp District”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

This hotel is perfect if you want to go out in the Gas Lamp District as it is just on the edge of one of the main streets and a short walk from the bars and restaurants. The hotel is modern in a boutique style. The staff were very friendly. Valet parking was a bit pricey at $39 per night but I appreciate space is restricted in such a central location and the staff were very helpful and got something for me that i had left in the car. We were given a free complimentary breakfast and also complimentary wine hour 5 to 6pm which was a nice touch. Our room was slightly noisy as we were on the 3rd floor and so above the bar and near to the road. If you want a bit of quiet I would request a higher floor. The concierge gave me some good recommendations for bars and restaurants and everyone was very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: We had a lower floor room so could hear the noise from the bar and road. Ask for a higher floored r...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Palomar San Diego, A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thanks peachangel, I'm really happy we were the perfect location for you. It sounds like you got to experience the best of San Diego.

We hope to see you soon.
Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Spent a quick overnight stay recently with my husband. We loved the room, the hotel bar, and the very modern decor and vibe....but best of all, we loved the customer service. Kudos to the staff who made us feel welcome even before our stay began. If you are attending a Padres game or just want to hang out in the Gaslamp District...this is one of the top spots when visiting beautiful San Diego.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks Rhonda for the great review. I'm glad you and your husband loved the hotel, Saltbox and our awesome staff. We hope you're able to return soon. Go Padres!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I love the aesthetics of this place. Everything is modern, but low-key and chic. The walls have texture, there are minimalist touches everywhere. The bedding, beds, and pillows are A+ quality. I loved, loved, loved the overhead rain shower. The staff, as I have experienced at other Kimptons, seem very happy -- and that means a lot when you are a weary traveler. The pool is small but nice.

When I checked in, I was particularly exhausted, so I went immediately to the spa where I booked a massage with Carla. As someone who has been getting massages for almost 40 years, I have to say that Carla was the best of the best. I treated myself to a 90-minute massage -- not cheap -- but well worth it. She was amazing.

Would definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thanks marabel100 for the great comments. I love hearing about our luxurious hotel and caring staff. Great to see that you had such a great massage at Se Spa.

We look forward to your return.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

After meeting the friendly Valet Parking Staff ($39 per night parking includes unlimited in and out privileges), we checked in to our one bedroom suite. The Palomar is ultra modern and has great attention to detail. The overhead rain shower was a nice touch. The hotel is centrally located at the north end of GasLamp District. The concierge is first class. Wonderful complimentary coffee in the lobby. The new restuarant- Saltbox- has a great new menu and fair prices.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
I'm so happy you were able to enjoy the hotel, Saltbox, our complimentary wine, coffee and a great room. Thanks SuitcaseStories2014 for such a great review. Next visit make sure you spend some time at Se Spa. They will leave you feeling revived.

Warm regards,
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

So often, one stays in these cool, stylish hotels and you feel out of place if you don't wear your Bvlgari on the toilet or flash your Astin Martin keys at the hot, scantily clad desk attendant. Well, I have neither, but was just as eagerly welcomed at the Palomar in San Diego. Only disappointment were the very friendly desk attendants, neither of whom were scantily clad. I was made immediately welcome, they accommodated both my early and late checkout requests (my plans my last day were cancelled and I was stuck waiting all day for a redeye back east) and the hotel itself couldn't have possibly been more comfortable. With my predicament my last day, they simply watched my luggage for the day and let me spend as much time as I wanted at their amazingly appointed pool (cabanas, lounges, poolside bar and poolside food service...just great). Comfortable, stylishly appointed room, rainshower (that didn't leak all over the floor like most), great location (about 6 blocks from access to the 5), friendly staff, friendly valets...just not something one expects at a hotel that could be a lot snobbier and get away with it. There was one particular food service attendant who was an immense help in getting me my poolside food on one day they weren't serving up there because of a private pool party. I was on crutches so had a hard time getting around so she arranged to get me my lunch delivered to the pool anyway. I wish I had gotten her name because I would have liked to send her personal kudos here...she is a great representative of the hotel. Bottom line, if you're going to be anywhere near downtown SD, the Palomar is a must stay. I am certainly going to be seeking out other Klimpton Hotels if this is the high standard to which all their properties aspire. And if you slum it with a BMW and a Tissot like me, you'll still be just as welcome!

Room Tip: The 16th floor suites are amazing, so if it's a special occasion stay there. Or slum it in any...
Green Features: They allow skimpy bikinis at the pool...what better environment can one ask for!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Wow George E. Thanks so much for such a great review. I'm so happy that you found the Palomar luxurious with a smile. That is exactly what we strive for, spirit, style and delight.

We look forward to your return.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

This is a gorgeous hotel and the rooms and beds are very comfortable. Stayed here for a family trip in San Diego, the staff was mostly friendly and helpful. Nice views, but not worth sitting outside unless you want to listen to bad dance music during their pool party or listen to the AC units chugging away.
I'd love to give the hotel a better rating but, here were my complaints:
The lighting was confusing. It was near impossible to figure out how to turn on just a dim light in the main room as the lights are pre programed.
And the rooms were dirty. Under the beds are filthy-not sure if they are ever cleaned under there. In my families room they had tattered pillow cases and there were smudge marks all over the wall (mind you after complaining they were comped their breakfast at least).
Also, the bell hop accepted a double tip. My mom was unaware he had already been tipped (generously) by my dad downstairs and he still accepted a tip from her once we got to the room. Sorry, but that's in poor taste.
The front desk staff is responsive, but dirty rooms are a big turn off for me, especially for such nice hotels.

Stayed June 2014
I'm sorry we ruined your visit to the Palomar Svigil. I would be happy to discuss your stay personally. My email is mark.vancooney@hotelpalomar.com.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Palomar was in a great location for restaurants, bars and shopping. The trolley was at the top of the street and so easy to use. The hotel was very boutiquey and stylish and the room was of a similar style, beds were comfy and the bathroom was excellent with a big overhead shower. My only complaint was on the Saturday we decided to go to the pool it was very busy with no beds or chairs available ( I know that my negative point is trivial ) but there was not a towel available to put down on the deck so we just left. The hotel staff were excellent and very attentitive. Free wine and coffee in the lobby was a very nice touch.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
I'm so happy you were able to enjoy so many of the great things we have at the Palomar. I'm sorry our pool was busy and you were unable to enjoy the sunshine on our pool deck. Please let me know if you are returning. I would be happy to assist with your return.

Mark

Been to Palomar San Diego, A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!