“Boutique hotel in heart of gaslamp district” 4 of 5 stars

Book Early + Save 15%
Ranked #77 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sacramento, California
“Boutique hotel in heart of gaslamp district”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I stayed here one night for business. The clerks in the evening and morning were pleasant. The rooms are small but standard for hotels in this area and are modern and clean. I was on the third floor and by the spa and elevator, it was noisy and I could hear every bell each time the door opened and all conversations, lucky for me I was too exhausted to care. In addition, do not get a room with a street view, you can hear everything and the city starts bustling early, I used the early wake-up to go to the gym. They have three treadmills, two bikes and full weight set, I was impressed. They also have a wine reception and coffee/juice in the morning. The location is in the heart of everything which is really fabulous if I wasn't there for business. There is also a restaurant which serves good food, has friendly service and good beer selection. I would definitely stay here again (different room) and stay at other Kimpton properties.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from elevators and street.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Palomar San Diego, A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Thanks for the nice review FamilyontheMove. I appreciate the comments on our friendly staff, Social Hour and the other great things at the hotel. Please come back and see us soon.

Cheers,
Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Great Falls, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Great desk service and service recovery. Modern is what they sell and what you get. Large room and bath. Rain head shower did not have much power so I know I don't want one despite hype on HGTV. Only 2 chairs but one way too small and not on wheels despite my call ahead that there was one I cold use in BR to fix hair/makeup ( I have abad back). A few maintainence issues were remedied when I handed the desk a note in morning; even touch up paint and curtain rehang done when we returned that afternoon. The coffee and juice bar in lobby only has coffee. There restaurant is only open for breakfast so you eat in lounge in evening. Glad we rented a Eco car as it cut the parking fee to $19 vs $39/night. Very comfy bed and pillows. Great balcony with view. Great rate too. Desk and valet service was great. Check out their cool front door.

Room Tip: Ask for balcony.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks 555JenniferL for the review. I'm sorry a few things in your room needed to be addressed. I'm glad our friendly staff made you feel comfortable. Make sure you try the craft cocktails at Saltbox on your next visit. They are amazing.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Enjoyed this hotel on Nov 16-18. Rooms were a bit small but in good condition. Agree with another reviewer that it is strange that the bathroom door doesn't close all the way. Location is very central for walking to good restaurants and close to other attractions. Enjoyed spa as well. Thought it was a bit pricey but it was last minute.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks MHPMHPMHP for the nice review. I'm glad you enjoyed Se Spa and our location. Make sure you visit Saltbox on your next visit. Their food and drinks are awesome.

Cheers,
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

A few weeks before I made the reservation, I called to make sure that there was a big enough suite that would fit my husband and our best friends, another couple. I called several hotels and it doesn't seem like San Diego hotels has many 2 bedroom suites. The rep had assured me the room was really spacious, even though, it wasn't a 2 bedroom, the queen pullout was sufficient. So, I booked the room and got a great deal. When we had arrived to check-in, Michelle, helped us. She asked if there were 2 couples and I said yes, she said the room you have doesn't have a pull out, but they can bring in a rollaway. I told her that I confirmed this before I booked it, so I was upset. We took the room anyway, but when we got up to the room, I knew it wasn't going to work for us. I went back downstairs and talked to Michelle again and told her, we had to have something different, the room was way to small for 2 couples. Without hesitation, she looked in her system and offered us 2 separate King bedrooms, right next to each other, without paying another cent. Besides the great customer service, the hotel is in a really good location, if you wanted to walk to great restaurants and Little Italy. It was far enough, so that you weren't too close to all the night life going on in Gaslamp.

This was our first trip away together without our baby and we were really excited. Michelle started our vacation on a really good note. Thanks, Michelle!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks MollyMia for the great review. I'm really happy Michelle was able to make your stay wonderful. Thanks for choosing the Palomar for your first trip away without your baby.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed here the nights of November 13 and 14, checking out the afternoon of November 15. While we were there, our stay was fine. Nice rooms, although strange the bathroom door doesn't close all the way...Overall, no complaints.

On Saturday, November 16, while still in the San Diego area, my husband realized he most likely left his North Face jacket in the room. We called the hotel around 10 AM to check if it had been turned in by housekeeping. They directed us to a voice mail, where he left a detailed message of what room we were in and describing the jacket.

At around 4 PM, we still never heard back. As we were leaving on Sunday, he called again to follow-up. He was told that they check the voice mails every 2 hours. When he said he called this morning and hadn't heard anything, they just directed him back to voice mail. Clearly, they did not check it or simply chose to ignore it.

Now it's Tuesday and still no call back from Saturday. I understand if the jacket wasn't there or turned in. It happens. However, please have the courtesy and decency to call back and let us know. A quick "nope, sorry for your loss" is better than silence.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
I'm sorry Kristy B about the mixup and lack of follow up with the jacket. I think all is resolved and it is on its way back to you. Please let us know if you need anything else.

My email is mark.vancooney@hotelpalomar.com.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Stayed for two nights and had an ok experience. The valet staff was great but the hotel staff never even acknowledged us even though we were in and out constantly. The room was not sound proof at all. Perhaps we got the left over rooms since we purchased through groupon. Beware!

• Stayed November 2013
I'm sorry Nisey5111 for your stay. I am very sorry that our staff didn't acknowledge you. I would like to discuss your stay with you at your convenience. My email is mark.vancooney@hotelpalomar.com.

Morris, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We booked this hotel through Hotwire and were very pleased. It was at the end of the Gas Lamp district with plenty of places to eat. The room was clean, modern and nicely decorated. The staff was professional, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the great review JulieAp. I'm really happy you had such a great stay. We hope to see you again soon. Make sure you check out kimptonhotels.com. We have some great deals available on our own site.

Warm regards,
Mark

Been to Palomar San Diego, A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!