“Too spendy, for really what it is!” 3 of 5 stars

Book Early + Save 15%
Ranked #75 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Portland, Oregon
“Too spendy, for really what it is!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed here on a spontaneous trip to San Diego while visiting my sister in Long Beach, CA. Hotel is nice and all, but too highly over rated! Valet parking is $38 a night with in and out privileges, but there's parking across the street exactly for $28 a night but no in/out privileges. Room was tiny with a king bed but the bed didn't seem to be a king, well not as big as my normal king at home. The counters had a sticky mess of something by the mini bar. The bathroom was not private whatsoever! It has a sliding glass door that doesn't close completely so others in the room can see clearly inside, the shower is a waterfall fountain but no door so the shower once again others can see everything. This hotel isn't worth 4 and 1/2 stars at all in my book! Complementary wine from 5pm-6pm in Lobby and free coffee & tea from 6am-10am again in Lobby. Also the front door is a huge Vault door so we walked past it the first time, beware. Enjoy San Diego's Gaslamp District!

• Stayed March 2013
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Palomar San Diego, A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Sorry you didn't enjoy the design of the room MarkZ-PDX. Let me know if you are returning to San Diego.

Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

One of my favorite hotels in the world because of the great people and service. My husband and I stay at the Palomar about every other month. We always have a wonderful time. Anything we need is quickly taken care of. Make sure you meet Johnson when you are there. He knows how to make us feel welcome every time we visit, as well as goes above and beyond to make each trip special. Whether its to help us celebrate a birthday, give us dining options or provide something for us in our room, he always hasn't special touch of going above and beyond!!! Can't say enough good things. Highly recommend all around.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Palomar San Diego, A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thanks decker8163 for the great comments. Johnson is a rock star of ours and I'm so happy you and your husband keep coming back to see him... And the Palomar!

Cheers,
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I'm not usually a fan of faux-tique hotels, generally avoiding the Palomar chain. This one didn't do anything to improve my impression. Firstly, as I was here on business, the painfully slow Internet prevented me from working at all. I ended up curtailing my attendance at the locally-hosted conference since I couldn't get any work done. The walls were fairly thin (I could hear the TV next door clearly if the AC was off). The bar/restaurant was actually pretty good, and the location of the hotel is convenient. Overall, I'd probably look elsewhere next time but wouldn't be aghast at the prospect of a repeat stay (as long as I had no business to conduct).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Palomar San Diego, A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear ATLien Traveller,

Sorry about the slow internet. Not sure what was going on because our internet service is normally incredibly fast.

I would like to discuss your stay. When it is convenient please contact me personally.

mark.vancooney@hotelpalomar.com
Guernsey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed at the Palomar for 10 nights last month, booked through BA.
It is a superb hotel and located in an excellent spot for access to restaurants, shops, buses and trolleys.This was our first visit to the US, visiting our daughter, a Kimpton hotel would definitely be my first choice if we make it back to the States.
The staff in the hotel & restaurant were great. Special thank you to Astrid for the wonderful room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
We are so happy you chose us for your first visit to the US, visiting your daughter. I am glad you had a wonderful stay and got to meet Astrid!

Let us know when you are coming back!
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed here for 5 days and we very pleased we did, the staff really helpful
,good size room ,good location for gas lamp district, good breakfast will definitly
stay here again thank you ps sorry if we drank too much wine at happy hour in lobby

Room Tip: We stayed on 6th floor quiet and rooms a good size
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with friends recently. The hotel is in a central location within walking distance to the gas lamp area and not too far to walk to the tram stop or shopping mall. It is a nice hotel and the reception staff are great. The Salt Bar is o.k. but the drinks are a bit pricey but they do make nice cocktails. Continental breakfast was good and the fruit was excellent, I think they would be better off offering reasonably priced bar meals in the evenings as I think more guests would stay there and eat. They do a free wine tasting for an hour every day between 5.00 and 6.00pm in the lobby area which is nice as you get to mingle with other guests, but don't stand too near the door as it can be very cold when no one closes it. Overall the hotel is good, the pool area is fab and the pool is heated which is lovely. The beds are very comfy and the pillows are great. The only thing we did not like and other guests we chatted with, was the frosted glass door on the bathrooms which when closed offered no privacy at all as you could see through the door as there is a gap of at least 1" all around it which is very embarassing when your actual using the toilet or stood naked in the shower and for this reason I wouldn't stay here again, unless they have another room without a glass bathroom door. If your a single traveller then it wouldn't be a problem but sharing, no way. Oh and my friends did say that the toilets on the first floor was an experience, especially after a few drinks!lol

Room Tip: A higher room would be more quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I was in San Diego on business and the hotel was well-placed for my needs, close to the office I was visiting and the Gas Lamp district restaurants and entertainment. As usual, the front desk folks were friendly and offered suggestions on where I should eat. The room was clean and comfortable, and I had a nice view of the city. The staff always met my needs, starting with the bar tender in the Salt bar (or whatever it's called). I went there for a late dinner, but I didn't see anything on the menu I wanted. I was craving a "home cooked" meal instead of the fancy small plates. When I mentioned that to the bar tender, he suggested that I try Bryan's 24, a couple of blocks away. I went there and found an all night restaurant with lots of selections. I had a late night breakfast of chicken and waffles. On both occasions that I asked the front desk for wake up calls, I was greeted with a cheery voice in the morning that was right on time. When I was ready to leave, I asked them to have a taxi for me at 5:45 am, and sure enough, the taxi was there when I was leaving for the airport. The only complaint I could offer was not the hotel's fault. When I checked in, they gave me a letter warning that the city was doing street work, and it could disturb the guests as early as 7 am, I think. There was no problem the first night, but on the second night, the work started at a ridiculous hour, around 4:45 am. The drilling sounded like it was inside my room! Then when I got up to take a shower, the water pressure was almost non-existent. I don't like rain showers in the first place, but the normal water pressure in the shower had been great. I figured the street work must have affected the water pressure, and it came back -- after I finished my shower, of course. In any event, the hotel met all of my needs, and I would stay again if I ever get back to sunny San Diego.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Palomar San Diego, A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thanks for the great comments fwy. I am glad that you had a great stay and got to get out and Live Like a Local!

On a positive note the construction going on outside of the hotel is almost over. The loud noise is finished. Hope to see you again soon!

Warm regards,
Mark

Been to Palomar San Diego, A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!