“Cool hotel, great staff, comfortable bed and awesome shower” 5 of 5 stars

Endless Summer - 20% off
Ranked #70 of 269 hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Cool hotel, great staff, comfortable bed and awesome shower”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My husband and I visited on a spur of the moment trip at Christmas. We love Kimpton's Hotels and this one was lovely. The bed was really comfortable and the package we got gave us lots of nice upgrades and freebies. The staff were all nice and helpful and friendly. Nice TV, lovely bathroom, and of course, the great robes. They sent up the Nameste yoga package as soon as I asked, and replaced my forgotten toothbrush quickly. Love the free coffee and cocoa in the morning, and wine and drinks at the evening reception. Nice lounging area by the pool. I took advantage of the onsite spa for a fab massage and body treatment. Really nice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Palomar San Diego, A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thanks for the great comments Travl4funandbus. It sounds like you got to enjoy some of the best of Kimpton; Nameste yoga package, our animal print robes, and a caring staff.

Come back and see us for business or pleasure soon.

678 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

*** Kimpton hotels are clearly the industry leader in pet friendly accommodations ***

Palomar San Diego is no exception .. Front desk agents are very friendly and accommodating, concierge has great information on where to dine .. rooms are spacious and comfortable ..

Location is great - in the heart of the Gaslamp and super close to Fiesta Island to let dogs run free.. We always have a favorite spot for monthly getaways to San Diego !!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Palomar San Diego, A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thanks JaspernRiley for the nice note. Kimpton and the Palomar love dogs! Come back and see us soon. There are a few other great dog parks including the dog beach on Coronado Island!

Ruff Ruff,
connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

The hotel seemed nice when I checked in at 10 pm- when I awoke to shower and there was no hot water the front desk mentioned they had been having issues for days but neglected to tell me! Next evening they moved me to sister hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Palomar San Diego, A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Sorry about the hot water situation. We had to make some emergency repairs. I am sorry this ruined your morning. Please let me know if you are returning to the San Diego area.

Detroit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I was in San Diego for a four day weekend with my Fiancé in the beginning of December. We spent the first two nights at an Airbnb condo on Mission Beach but, being a Kimpton lover, I wanted to stay in one of the Kimpton San Diego hotels at least one night, as well as experience the city side of San Diego.

I booked during Kimpton's "Big Annual Sale" and secured a $109 rate, so cost was amazing. I ended up booking three different Kimpton stays in Chicago using that promo...

I loved that we called around 11am to see if there was any chance of getting an early check-in for that day and the front desk agent was beyond polite. She made my day when she said sure, to come on by whenever we were ready. We showed up 20 minutes later to check-in and we were up in our room right away.

Unfortunately for my vacation, my fiancé got sick on the last day of our vacation with the flu, but I left him up in the room and walked down to the bay and convention center. A few reviews said the area wasn't great, but I didn't feel uncomfortable walking around by myself. There is also a CVS and 7-11 on either side of the hotel in case you need to stock up on flu medicine...

The beds were comfortable and I liked that you were able to text the valet company your ticket number from your hotel room and your car would be waiting for you by the time you got downstairs.

The hotel was amazing and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there on a future San Diego visit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Palomar San Diego, A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
We are so thankful you picked us for your stay with Kimpton. Thanks for the great comments. Come back and see us soon. It sounds like your fiancé needs a do over with us.

Cheers,
Vadnais Heights, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

All staff at the hotel were great! Every staff person we talked to were very nice, efficient and helpful. The hotel is updated, very clean and well-maintained and the mattresses are so comfortable. The hotel is in a great location (our group wanted to be downtown near the gaslamp district), but it's also easy to get to the other main San Diego attractions from here. I asked if there were any roll-away beds at 10pm one night, and Allison at the front desk had one sent to my room within 10 minutes. Johnson, the asst. manager, gave our group of 8 a bag of snacks for our trip home. The valet staff were great too. I highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks Heidi 472, I am really happy you were able to meet Allison and Johnson. They are our Rock Stars at the Palomar. Please gather your friends and come back and see us soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

I have had to leave my man in San Diego due to a career choice but i wanted to make our last evening together one to never forget. I had stayed at a Kimpton hotel before and loved it. When I told my reservationist Tori my story she was the sweetest and helped me pick a package that was perfect for us. However when we arrived we had been upgraded to THE most beautiful suite overlooking the heated pool area and with a balcony!!! Lots of free member goodies accompanied our check in (become a member it only takes a few minutes). We headed down to the spa to have a couples message and when we returned there was a lovely well wishing note from Tori and a bottle of champagne and fruit. My heart swelled. We both felt like a million dollars everywhere we went. I cannot imagine being treated better or having a better atmosphere for my last memories with my man.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart Tori and Kimpton.

• Stayed December 2012
What a great story rlipede. I am thankful for the opportunity of making your last night in San Diego with your man memorable. I will be sure to pass on the thanks to Tori. Hope to see you when you come back to San Diego for a visit.

Warm regards,
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We held a staff meeting at this location due to guest coming in from several locations. The equipment worked flawlessly and the banquet service was excellent (fresh food and drinks at all times). The staff at the Palomar is the best!! They were able to recommend locations for dinner and actually made the reservations for us. I travel often and the experience here was above and beyond! I will recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to this area!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Palomar San Diego, A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you Tempe F for the great feedback on your meeting. I am really happy you enjoyed our food, drinks and our staff.

We look forward to your return,
Mark

Been to Palomar San Diego, A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!