“Exceptional bliss!!!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Exceptional bliss!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

I have had to leave my man in San Diego due to a career choice but i wanted to make our last evening together one to never forget. I had stayed at a Kimpton hotel before and loved it. When I told my reservationist Tori my story she was the sweetest and helped me pick a package that was perfect for us. However when we arrived we had been upgraded to THE most beautiful suite overlooking the heated pool area and with a balcony!!! Lots of free member goodies accompanied our check in (become a member it only takes a few minutes). We headed down to the spa to have a couples message and when we returned there was a lovely well wishing note from Tori and a bottle of champagne and fruit. My heart swelled. We both felt like a million dollars everywhere we went. I cannot imagine being treated better or having a better atmosphere for my last memories with my man.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart Tori and Kimpton.

• Stayed December 2012
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Palomar San Diego, A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
What a great story rlipede. I am thankful for the opportunity of making your last night in San Diego with your man memorable. I will be sure to pass on the thanks to Tori. Hope to see you when you come back to San Diego for a visit.

Warm regards,
Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We held a staff meeting at this location due to guest coming in from several locations. The equipment worked flawlessly and the banquet service was excellent (fresh food and drinks at all times). The staff at the Palomar is the best!! They were able to recommend locations for dinner and actually made the reservations for us. I travel often and the experience here was above and beyond! I will recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to this area!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Palomar San Diego, A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you Tempe F for the great feedback on your meeting. I am really happy you enjoyed our food, drinks and our staff.

We look forward to your return,
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights to attend a franchiser conference hosted by IFX Online and it was one they highly recommended. I was not disappointed. From the moment I was greeted by the bell men to the receptionist at the front desk, everyone treated you with a warm welcome. I had a lovely message from Lizzie and was put up on the 9th. floor even though the rate was for a ground floor room. Nice to be away from the street noise. The room was similar to many of the hotels I stay in in Europe and very nicely appointed and the bed was the perfect comfy dream bed. I will certainly stay here again when I have a need to be downtown San Deigo again. Near everything and just love the feel, the ambiance and the staff.

Room Tip: Hard to say, I was only in the one room over the pool and it was fine.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
We are so happy you had a wonderful stay with us SheryC. Thanks for the great comments on our team and the warmth you felt from them. Please let Lizzie know when you are coming back.

Cheers,
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Stayed April '12 but forgot our review

This was a very great stay for me and fiance. Very good location for both restaurants downtown walking to pier areas and transportation. One quirky feature was the bathroom doors sliding frosted glass that do not really close. So, if we were just friends staying it might have been awkward. We also asked them to remove all of the paid items from minibar/fridge and they had no problem with this. Staff was always friendly and helpful.

Loved the restaurant, it was a savior as only place open on arrival, sun after 9pm. Loved the food though and came back again, it will always be a special place.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Temecula, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I am a Kimpton lover through and through so there was no disappointment here. Please note that it is on the "bad" side of the gaslamp and there were homeless people outside screaming and peeing. Not a place you go for a midnight walk but if you stay in the hotel it is an oasis. We indulged on the usual free wine happy hour but at this hotel there was hot apple cider (which could be spiked) for my four year old daughter. I would rate the staff at this hotel 5 out of 5! They went above and beyond for us and were kind to my daughter. The room service is probably one of the best room services I have experienced. In the morning there was a little hot chocolate bar where my daughter got to top her drink with sprinkles and mini marshmallows. One of the big bummers is that the hotel has NO ice machines. When you want ice you call the front and someone schleps it to you which I didn't like because each knock could wake my kids or make my dog crazed. Also I felt like I had to tip each time and I get ice multiple times a day at hotels so this adds up. As usual, internet is free for Intouch members. We got a goldfish in our room (free when you ask at front desk) to borrow while we stayed there. There were a couple dangerous things in the room if you travel with small children. One is the door to the bathroom is just a sliding hunk of glass and my daughter got her fingers crammed in it (she had a large bruise running the length of her hand and a cut on the other side) It isn't sliding like a patio door but sits about two inches from the door frame so fingers get easily hurt when it is just touched because the momentum closes it. Also the standing only shower has only a half covered with glass and I experienced a hand knock on the edge of it. These two things you can't really kid proof so that is why I wanted to point them out.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a visit to San Diego for our "babymoon" (the last trip together before our first baby arrives). We are typically budget travelers, but we were planning to splurge a little bit for this trip. However, we found an amazing rate for the the Hotel Palomar, so we got the 4-star treatment for a very reasonable price. We loved everything about our stay - the staff was warm and inviting (especially the sweet girl at the check-in desk from our home state of Texas), our room was immaculate, and we also enjoyed the complimentary happy hours each evening at 5:00 (thankfully they included alcohol-free cider!). When I made the reservation, I let them know why we were visiting San Diego, and they upgraded us to a corner room. So lovely!

We knew from other reviews that parking is very expensive, so we drove around the hotel to try and find cheaper overnight lots. We found a small lot near the corner of 8th and Broadway (just 3 blocks from the hotel) for $13 for a 12-24 hour period. It is toward a more sketchy area, but we never had any trouble, and we learned that San Diego is actually a very safe city.

We would defnitely return to the Hotel Palomar, and I would highly recommend it to any of my friends. It was a treat!

Room Tip: The higher the better. A corner room on the lower floors probably isn't worth the price differe...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lincolnwood, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

This is a beautiful hotel with spacious rooms, friendly staff, and a great fitness center. However, it is located a block north of where the Gaslamp District ends in what is still a pretty seedy part of town. If the location was better, I'd have given it a higher rating. Wine and beer in the lobby everyday is a nice touch (but they should have some snacks). Also, coffee and hot chocolate in the morning (but no coffee maker in the room). No free wifi in the rooms and you have to pay for Internet in the business center, which us ridiculous nowadays.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Palomar San Diego, A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!