“So nice you don't want to leave” 5 of 5 stars

Book Early + Save 15%
Ranked #75 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“So nice you don't want to leave”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed here for a week, while in San Diego for a bit of business, and a bit of vacation. What's great about this hotel is that it accomodates both activities very well, and very comfortably.

When I made my reservation online, I was offered the option of an "instant upgrade" at the time of check-in for a nominal additional cost of $10/night. I went ahead and opted for this. So glad I did. Because not only did my upgrade come through, I got a "double upgrade" to a flat on the 18th floor, probably because I was going to be with them for an entire week.

There are many things I like about this hotel. The room is stylish, clean, and very comfortable. The bed is fantastic! Very comfy, plush matress with fantastic sheets. The hot water is instant and perfect temp. The room is quiet at all hours. There are large windows that allow lots of natural light into the room. The wireless connection is flawless. The flat screen TV is brand new and offers a huge selection of channels. You get The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and a few local newspapers every day in the lobby for free. The fitness center has everything you need, and I never saw a single person in there, so had it all to myself.

The location is also excellent. Only a two block walk to the heart of the gaslamp district and basically any type of cuisine you can imagine. It is also exactly 0.5 mile from Little Italy, another great place to dine. And the cab ride to the airport cost only $12 -- a huge plus.

I ordered room service two of the nights I was there. Again, excellent. The hamburger could well be the largest, juiciest, tastiest I have ever had! Maybe it is the heaping amount of guacamole they put on it. Make sure you try it!

If I wanted to nitpick, I could mention that the mini-bar is exhorbitantly expensive. That's easy to solve -- just don't use it. Or I could mention that you get a lot of noise from the loud music being played by the DJ if your room is on the side of the hotel above the pool. That's easy to solve as well -- just don't stay on that side if you think it may bother you. It is only a couple hours during the late afternoon and evening. And I think it is only on certain days (i.e. weekend). And I know the parking is extremely expensive, with not a lot of nearby options. My solution to that was not to have a car, since I was working/playing downtown during my stay. Cab rides are cheap compared to renting a car and then paying the parking. So my "nitpicks" all come with an easy solution, and really aren't "problems" at all.

All said, this hotel does such a great job that some evenings I found myself just wanting to stay in and enjoy the comfort of the room. It truly is so good that you don't want to leave. I will definitely be back, and am already looking forward to it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Palomar San Diego, A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you Eilig for the great comments. We are so happy you had a great week with us in San Diego. We have the DJ on the pool deck on a few weekends in the fall to celebrate our warm fall weather! You really got to get out and Live Like a Local... and spend some quality time at the Palomar.

We hope to see you back here soon.
Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
San Francisco Bay Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

I've stayed at Palomar a few times and find the rooms stylish and pleasant. Lobby is hip and a scene--but a low key scene. Location is good. Excuse homeless, this is the city and unrelated to hotel!
Good service by young staff who are eager to please. Join Kimpton InTouch for free $10 from mini bar every stay and free wifi.
The price point for this hotel seems to run 160-180 and for this price you get a more interesting place than a Marriott, with reliable good quality.
FYI, frosted glass doors in bathrooms make it unwise to share a room with anyone you are not intimate with!

• Stayed September 2012
Lewes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stayed in this hotel for three nights at the beginning of October. The hotel itself is very stylish with a strong theme on design and art, which extend to its rooms.

My room was a nice size with plenty of the usual ammenites that one would expect from a hotel of this rating.

However a few issues occured/arose. My in room safe was still locked from the previous guest, meaning that a member of the hotels security team had to come and unlock it for me.

The sinks in the bathrooms do not have any plugs, so if you want to have a quick wash it makes it very difficult to do so.

The televisions comes on at a ridiculously high volume and the controller is so slow to react if can be about a minute before you have the thing under control. This is something I'm sure neighbouring rooms wouldn't appreciate if you like to watch the news first thing in the morning.

The room my parents were allocated was of similar size but at the rear of the hotel with a nice view of the hotels air conditioning plant. Their room had a mulitude of issues: no safe at all - one had to be fitted, no plug for the sink, no towel rail or hook for the bathroom (holes in the wall where there once had been one, but not replaced) a bedframe too big for the mattress causing many scraped shins and no full length mirror. We figured this room may have had things taken out of it to replace other broken bits in other rooms but never got resolved itself?

To the hotels credit they did sort out the security/safe issues, however they need to check all their rooms have the basics of a shower rail/hook in their bathrooms.

This hotel has a nice location with plenty of easy (but expensive) local parking, however its style makes certain aspects of holidaying here impractical.

If I return to San Diego, which by the way is a lovely city, I doubt very much that I'll be staying here again.

Room Tip: Higher rooms towards the front of the hotel would afford a better view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Palomar San Diego, A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear RobfromTheUK,

I am sorry you experienced issues with your guest room. I know this did not make a great first impression. I hope that you will give us another try next holiday. I would like to chat about your stay. I can be contacted at the hotel.

yorba linda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Palomar in San Diego last week. The decor is lovely, edgy, staff was nice and helpful. I would say the room we stayed in was a king sized bed...and that is it! Very very small room, to the point where I could hardly make it around the bed without hitting my ankle or knee on the frame or dresser. Small tv, curtains needed attention, as they were not attached at the top and the ceiling is prob 16 feet...so the light came in early. They needed to be rehung or something, and the staff should have noticed this when tending to the room. I could have called, but we were there only one night, and by the time we figured it out, I was ready for bed. Pricy place for such a tiny accommodation.

Room Tip: ask for a larger room, maybe a suite
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
I am sorry you were not impressed with the size of your room nlkYorbaLinda. It seems like you live close to San Diego. I would like for you to return and try some of our other guest rooms. We do have other rooms with a bit more space.

Please contact me personally at the hotel.
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed at the Palomar San Diego this week while I was in town for a work convention - it was amazing!

From the moment I arrived, the service was nothing short of top-notch. My flight got in well in advance of check in - so I arrived to the front desk at 11 a.m. to see if they could hold my bag until check-in time. Not only was this not a problem, they told me they were happy to allow me to check in right then! After going to my room, I found that I'd been upgraded from a standard King room to a beautiful king suite, complete with living room, bedroom, two bathrooms, one of which was huge and included a beautiful walk-in shower and oversized bathtub. What a nice treat!!

Within an hour of checking in, I was at the outdoor pool with my laptop ready to work away. Wifi works at the pool as well - great way to enjoy the weather while still getting work done. The pool had a nice bar, eating area, comfy loungers and even a DJ playing great music.

The next morning when I headed off to the cenvention center, the front desk greeted me by name and offered directions.

I had room service twice on the trip - both times delicious. The in-room dining attendant also called my room two hours after delivery to make sure I enjoyed the meal and to ask if I was ready for the dishes to be cleared - such a minor detail but again another proof point to the amazing service.

I highly recommend this hotel - it's in the heart of the Glasslamp district and easy walking distance to shopping, dining, bars, live music and an easy walk to the Convention Center.

Special thank you to Johnson at the front desk and Sebastian with in-room dining for going above and beyond during my stay - what a great example of Kimpton service!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for the amazing comments LovelyInSeattle! I am so happy you had a great stay. Johnson and Sebastian are two of our Rock Stars!

We look forward to your return to San Diego soon.
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Nice location, short walk to Gaslamp quarter, jogging distance to San Diego Zoo/Balboa Park.

Had some issues with the room at first, door didn't lock and fridge wasn't cool. Notified front desk, and maintenance staff came in minutes.

Room is clean and comfortable. Coffee is provided in the morning at the lobby, but I wish they had an in-room coffee machine; not a big room, but there's enough space for a coffee machine.

Valet-parking is quite expensive, but there are cheaper lots near the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms just above the pool (5th floor) are very noisy during pool hours.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I recently stayed at the Palomar Hotel in San Diego Gaslamp Quarter and I enjoyed it from the very first moment arriving without my luggage. Everybody took care of me. They helped me with everything necessary for the first night, gave me an invitation to enjoy some really nice Chardonnay in the Restaurant. My room was on the 10th floor just facing the Petco Stadium. How amazing - sitting in a cosy room and watching the game! I like Kimpton Hotels and Palomar is just great.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
We are so happy you love our hotel! At Kimpton we love Forgot It We Got It! We are happy to go and get something if you need it. Most of the items we have stocked in the hotel. Glad you got to enjoy some vino on the patio and take in Petco Park and our home town Padres!

Hope to see you soon,
Mark

Been to Palomar San Diego, A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!