“Nice Hotel but not yet 100% Kimpton” 4 of 5 stars

Save up to 20% in August
Ranked #68 of 268 hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Nice Hotel but not yet 100% Kimpton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

I have to say the staff and the service at this hotel was amazing, no one missed a beat. Even the Valets were great when a certain teddy bear was left in the car causing a 2 year old to go into a panic state...
I love the Wine hour a great way to unwind and meet other guest. We did go in the pool and that area is very nice. 2 things I will tell you about the stay that I did not love, The bathroom door! It would get stuck it was very wobbly and with this heavy frosted glass did not give you privacy, I was not at all a fan of the door, traveling with a small child it seemed very unsafe. My guess is they may still be updating the rooms to full Kimpton standards and will probably upgrade these to be on a nice safe track system. Second is the location, I love the gaslamp but this may not be my preferred property when traveling with children. Fine for adults but when I stayed and walked to dinner and breakfast, both times we were surrounded by numerous homeless people, so next time I go to San Diego I may go to the Kimpton that is closer to the beach and not downtown. those are the only 2 draw backs and again the service was great

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Palomar San Diego, A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Dear VolpeTravels,

I am very happy you enjoyed our staff and service. I apologize for the issue with your bathroom door. I would be happy to discuss your stay and our location with you personally.

Warm regards,

658 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Tucson, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

I always try to stay at Kimpton hotels when I travel and I have never been disappointed.
My room at the Palomar was located on the 13th floor and it was really fancy. The staff was very welcoming and helpful. Happy hour was a lot of fun with a life band. I ate at the bar of the adjacent Saltbox and had excellent shrimp ceviche tacos as well as tasty mussels.
I will definitely stay there again the next time I visit San Diego.

Room Tip: I always ask for a room on the upper floors, away from elevators and vending machines.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Dear Tohono,

Thank you for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed our wine hour and dining at Saltbox. We look forward to your next visit to San Diego.

Best regards,
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We stayed at the Palomar for 4 days with our 3 year old. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We requested a humidifier and it was in our room in less than 5 minutes. Room service was also unbelievably quick. Breakfast at the restaurant was delicious, even if a bit pricey. The location is really good, right at the Gaslamp District, very close to the airport and to Coronado and with easy access to I-5 if you need to go somewhere else in town. Our room was spacious and quiet. Internet access was quick and free for Kimpton rewards members (you can sign up for free on their website). But if I had to pick one best thing about Palomar, I would pick their service. We would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear TexMexZilian,

I am very happy you enjoyed our service and location. Please come back and see us soon.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I stayed here for a bachelorette party. The style of the hotel is contemporary. It's very chic and beautiful. The staff is helpful and sweet. They helped me coordinate a party at the Saltbox and also a Spa day at the Se Spa. Beds are extremely comfortable and staff was very accommodating when I needed extra linens at an inconvenient hour. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a party or just a relaxing getaway. Also, lots of stuff to do nearby.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Palomar San Diego, A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Dear Shweta G,

Thanks for the comments on your great stay and bachlorette party. Sé Spa is ready for your next visit!

Best regards,
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

The hotel is easy to find and is the perfect location if you're looking to be in downtown San Diego - right in the heart of the Gas Lamp District. Kimpton Hotels are Pet Friendly and do not charge a fee (which is appreciated)- so we brought Rollie, our Yorkie along for the weekend. Each Team Member was in love with pets so he felt at home.

The valet/parking fee was reasonable & prompt upon arrival and when we needed the car. The nightly wine reception was nice & we partook one evening while waiting for dinner reservations. Our room was spacious and well laid out. Hardwood floors were nice and gave an overall "clean" and germ free feeling. Rainfall shower was nice as were the marble floors.

On the second evening, a server arrived with a kind note with well wishes and in-room amenity from the reservations team for a competition we'd be at. Very unexpected and thoughtful.

We enjoyed Louisiana cooking at the next block over for lunch one evening and a wine bar that was Alice & Wonderland themed another evening. Their restaurant Saltbox looked great, but due to our schedule, we missed it. There was a neat place called The Local that had a great sandwich and burgers 3 blocks up.

Excellent stay & excellent staff!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

when the lobby doubles as a bar and the "heated" but in fact unheated pool area is designed to be a drinking lounge you have need to be concerned. especially as a biz traveller who might need some sleep. the staff were not overly concerned with anything, if we had this experience at a 3 star hotel i'd be as unimpressed as i am with this stupid ipad2. the room overlooked one of the loudest service plant setups ever but the alternate was the pool/bar area. parking is a nightmare so the hotel charges you $36 usd /day to make up for this. its tad too far to walk with kids to anything worth walking to. we were booked for what was intended to be a relaxing week but when the soft beds did in one back and threatened to do in another we shifted after 3. must try harder.

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear Joydot,

I am sorry you had such a bad stay with us. I would like to discuss your stay at a convenient time for you.

Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

My family and I are Kimpton rewards members, and quickly became members after our first stay in a Kimpton Hotel. They are VERY kid friendly and they are also pet friendly (at no extra cost for either). We had previously stayed at the Salomar in San Diego and were excited to try the new Palomar! Absolutly LOVED IT! I wont lie I was concerned when we arrived on a Friday night, as the Gaslamp area was moving at the nightlife pace and it was next to the House of Blues!
From the valet service, to the the lobby and front desk service, all worries quicly disappeared! Our kids LOVED the giant door you can walk through. Our room as we reserved was ready, two double beds, hardwood floors throughout, GIANT walk-in shower, crib ready, and dog bed and bowels!
I expected nothing less from a Kimpton Hotel and we were not disappointed one bit with the Palomar! We had a wonderful recommendation to go have breakfast at Brians 24 around the corner, there is a nice shopping area/mall within walking distance, and if you forgot anything, dont worry, there is a CVS across the street. (It even has the old fashioned Thrifty Ice Cream!)
Needless to say we loved it, beautiful top to bottom, not a hint of street noise, but close enough to everything!
Upon my return, I have booked myself and the rest of my co-workers at the hotel for a conference in April at the Convention Center.
Cant wait to return

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Mark_Van_Cooney, General Manager at Palomar San Diego, A Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 17, 2012
We love dogs and kids! I am glad you were able to get out and Live Like a Local in San Diego. Come back and see us soon.

Mark Van Cooney

Been to Palomar San Diego, A Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!