“On Broadway but not top notch” 3 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #43 of 270 Hotels in San Diego
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Palm Desert, California
“On Broadway but not top notch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I frequent the Westin Hotels for predictable service, quality and amenities. My visit to the Westin San Diego was a little disappointing. I had a uite room but the AC seemed to took a long time to adjust the room temperature. The beds were soft, not the Heavenly beds, and the hotel looked a little tired. Room service first told me I had to use their card to order breakfast and then screwed up the order (missing coffee) and 20 minutes late. The second time I called in and they took the order and it was on time and correct. I ate at the lobby bar / restaurant. The food was fresh and serviceable but not with that extra something. Maybe I am just spoiled by how outstanding the Asian hotel service is and need to get used to North America again.

Room Tip: SPG members get free wifi.
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

They have a shuttle to and from the airport so call when you land or arrange before hand. The day you leave let them know when you would like the shuttle. It runs on the half hour. The entrance to the lobby/address to the hotel if you are taking Uber is 1051 Columbia St. Staff were all very friendly and knowledgeable. Infused water in the lobby area is great as San Diego water tastes horrible. The two center elevators are like being in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as they are glass and break through the roof so you can see outside. Rooms were nice, bed comfortable. Two free bottles of water in the room. If you are a runner like I am, they have a card with two routes already mapped out and have hand towels in the lobby for when you come back. You can walk to Horton Plaza which has Jimbo's (an organic market), or to Ralphs (a regular grocery store). You can also walk to the convention center, the ballpark or Seaport Village. There are lots of great restaurants in the Gasslamp Quarter. Main drawback for me is wifi is NOT free. I don't understand why cheaper places have free wifi. I stayed at the Radison near the Portland Airport which was nothing fancy like this, but was very nice and the wifi was free.

Hickory, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I am an SPG Platinum member and try to stay at Westin's whenever possible. I had requested an upgrade with my suite night rewards but was denied. Only negative I had was the valet service when we arrived. It was a Saturday around 4PM and I guess we just showed up at a busy time. We sat in a small traffic jam at the valet station for 20 minutes and finally I gave up and pulled into the parking garage across the street. After we got checked in we ordered room service and it was fast and very good. I would recommend this hotel to anyone as location is perfect, I would just hope they would be more staffed at valet when it is a busy check in time.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Johnplatinum,

Thank you for your loyalty as a Platinum SPG member. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our location and your stay with us. I apologize that we could not accommodate your suite request for this stay. Due to having a minimal number of suites, this can be a challenge when the hotel is busy. Thank you for your understanding. We hope to accommodate your request on your next trip.

Orangeville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

You can't beat the location, although the taxi driver took great liberties on the route from the port but that is no fault of the hotel. The Valet was out immediately blocking traffic so we could get out of the cab safely. It was early in the morning as we had just gotten off a cruise ship so our room was not ready, and not expected, but we were allowed to change and store luggage.

The hotel was an easy walk to many of San Diego's top attractions.

The room was clean, staff was amazing and the breakfast buffet, although expensive at $21.95, was worth every penny and was quite extensive.

We chose the hotel in part because of the shuttle to the airport. We would not hesitate to book this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
2plus2-9,

Thank you for choosing the Westin San Diego following your recent cruise. I am pleased you found our hotel, its location and the breakfast buffet to exceed your expectations. The Valet team does their best to assist all vehicles as quickly as possible, due to the configuration of our entrance and the downtown traffic. We look forward to you booking our hotel again in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Room was great and very trendy. Food not your general catering fare. I would like to get a recipe or two. The California burger too cool and the root vegie what ever it was to die for Unforunate i could not have stayed longer. Thank you

Shegoddess,

Our meeting space layout and functionality provides for a great venue for all types of meetings and social events. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the food and will be sure to share your feedback with the Chef and his team. I hope you will find time to come back and visit us again, for another conference or during some free time, as San Diego is a great getaway location.

Flower Mound, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

The Westin on Broadway in downtown San Diego was a delight! It's close to a number of great restaurants and walking distance from the waterfront which offers all kinds of incredible things to see. The weather makes walking around San Diego an incredible pleasure and having the Westin as home base was great. The restaurants were great, the rooms were nice but what truly set this hotel apart was the friendly, helpful personalities of every staff member I came in contact with. Can't wait to come back!

Tugman26,

We can’t wait to welcome you back Tugman26! We know that our service is what sets us apart from our competitors and I am happy to hear that our staff left you with a lasting impression. Thank you for your glowing review and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Afton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

we travel to san diego for challenging business every month. EVERY month, for a week. There are three people who make our trip as "homelike" as possible: Teresa Gait, Juan V and Zulema P. We could stay anywhere in San Diego, but these 3 people have made us love waking up in the morning to have breakfast served by Juan and Zulema and coming "home" every night to dinner served by Teresa ... when you have to travel for long periods of time, it's rare to find a large metropolitan hotel that feels like home. Teresa, Juan and Zulema are San Diego's hospitality ambassadors. Thank you.

(I've just seen that we're asked to rate by time spent at this Westin ... we've been staying every month for the last two years ... since 2013 ... and the folks working there have been working there since then ... I think an indication of how special a place has become for us!)

Room Tip: I would only say that the breakfast rates and wifi are quite high.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this review, 1 week ago
judithpaixao,

I am happy to read that our associates are what inspire you to continue to come back. Thank you for your loyalty to the Westin San Diego. We strive to be a home away from home and I am happy to hear that we are your choice to stay in San Diego. On behalf of Teresa, Juan, Zulema and the rest of the staff, we look forward to seeing you time and time again.

Alyssa Turowski

Been to The Westin San Diego? Share your experiences!