“Close to Gaslamp” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Azusa, California
“Close to Gaslamp”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

It's a nice hotel for the price, and it's close enough to Gaslamp. The parking is expensive! $44! Park across the street for about $25. Everything was clean and new looking. The double beds are full sized, not queen, which is a little weird. Overall it was pretty nice and I'd stay again.

Stayed December 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Clean rooms & friendly staff.
Being from the Midwest there are two qualifications to make. Food prices in general are higher and once you are dwelling around downtown there is a significant homeless population. No problems, just different. It's only 4-5 blocks to the waterfront, or Gaslight district.

• Stayed December 2014
Panama City Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I was in San Diego for the first time in early November of 2014, having never been to the city before I stayed at the Westin hotel out of suggestions from coworkers and had a great time.
The hotel is located basically right next to down town San Diego, it's within walking distance to the Gaslamp district and little Italy. It is not far from the airport either but I took a rental car so I had to hitch a shuttle ride to and from the airport to the car rental place. The hotel is kept very clean, has a very modern look to it as soon as you walk in the front door, it has 20+ floors and my room was on the 13th floor which made me a bit uneasy, knowing I'm this high up in an earthquake zone but that was all gone once I'm settled in. The room was clean and spacious, I had a good view of Broadway and I can see the Gaslamp district in the distance. The hotel didn't have free internet which was expected from any hotel near downtown in a big city. The hotel has a very good breakfast, a bit pricy but the food was really good and we get a pretty sizeable selection from the buffet. The hotel bar has a full complement of drinks readily available and it opens late. The layout of the hotel is a bit unusual, first few floors of the hotel are actually offices rented out mostly to law firms apparently, due to the hotel's close proximity to the courthouses in downtown.
I stayed 4 nights in this hotel during my work trip to San Diego and I couldn't imagine a better experience than the one I had, usually I'm always anxious on the last day of my trip upon returning home but this time I was a little bit sad to leave. San Diego was a great city and I definitely had one of the best time on all my travels and the hotel has definitely added to the experience.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this review, 3 days ago
P N,

Our location makes us a great choice for traveling around San Diego. Centrally located in the heart of downtown, we are central to the busy Gaslamp Quarter, Little Italy and the harbor. We are only a few minutes walking distance to the local attractions, shops and dining. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the food in the restaurant. Our restaurant, Coast, has a great selection for all flavor palates.
Our hotel is connected to office lobbies that are on the backside and separated from the hotel. The hotel itself does not have any public or law offices in it. We do, however, have meeting rooms of all sizes and even have two War Rooms that can be rented out that cater specifically to our law clients.
I am happy to hear that we could make you stay with us a comfortable and memorable occasion. I hope to see you again the next time you are in San Diego!

Happy Holidays,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

Our company held our holiday party at this hotel this past weekend and from the catering / event manager to the staff at check in, everyone was beyond great. We were given a great rate to stay over which I did, the room was beautiful, had everything I needed, a beautiful view, and the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. I will be back (even though I live 15 minutes away) I gotta plan a night out.

• Stayed December 2014
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dabcmp,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your holiday party and stay at the Westin San Diego! We are a great location to host Christmas parties of all sizes and our newly updated rooms will guarantee a superior slumber with our Westin heavenly beds! Our welcoming and friendly staff is there to make sure you have everything that you need when you stay with us. Did you know that you can even take the Heavenly bed experience home with you? Our beds are exclusively sold through our Westin at Home online store, Pottery Barn and Nordstroms. Thank you for your review and we look forward to your next night out downtown!

Happy Holidays,
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Amazing stay, service, and staff! Leon Williams makes you feel welcome the moment you arrive! I have stayed here a few times now for business and Leon always gives impeccable service and goes above & beyond my checkin expectations. Nathan (Lobby lounge) provided extraordinary service as I enjoyed a working dinner in the lounge. Nathan made me feel at home during my business travels. I will be back, for sure! Thank you all for a great SD stay! The service and staff at this property will have my Westin loyalty! I have stayed at many other Starwood hotels in SD, but this property ALWAYS exceeds my expectations compared to others in area. Much better service than the nearby W. The staff is MUCH better!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Lysa K,

It is always a pleasure to hear when our associates give great service. Here at the Westin San Diego, we know that our service is what separates us from the rest and is what keeps our guests coming back. I am delighted to hear that Leon and Nathan could exceed your expectations and we are excited to have your loyalty. Thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back again soon!

Kind Regards,
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Recently stayed at the Westin San Diego for three nights - girlfriend and I were in town to watch a Chargers game and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Convenient location as the hotel is located next to the trolley and only a few blocks down from Gaslamp/Little Italy. Complimentary shuttle service provided to and from the San Diego airport so that was a plus, may sure to call in advance! Front Desk provided us with a complimentary upgrade and courtesy 4PM late checkout as a SPG Gold member. For those looking for a convenient hotel in Downtown San Diego, look no further.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
thatdudelouis,

Thank you for your loyalty as a SPG Gold member. We value our SPG guests and I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the property.
We are a great choice for staying in San Diego for a Chargers game. Whether you are here for the football games at Qualcomm or the baseball games at Petco, it is an easy trip to both! We are only 2 blocks from the train and trolley station that has express lines that go to the stadiums and we are walking distance to Petco.

Kind Regards,
Irvine, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

stayed here 3 nights since i was attending a wedding and some events at the hotel. luckily they were running a pretty good rate special so the room was $119 a night...its a nice enough hotel - the lobby has a nice open feel to it with plenty of seating, the hotel bar is cool b/c it has big screen tvs for sports and also a food/drink menu as well as happy hour everyday, and the hotel itself is clean and your typical Westin look haha...we had a large block of rooms at the hotel for the wedding so we were probably a bit much to handle but the hotel staff from the front desk to the bellman to the restaurant to the bartender to the concierge was outstanding! super helpful, accommodating and patient with us! special shout out to the concierge, Kevin for handling our dining requests with ease and thank you for the great restaurant recommendations and setting up our reservations!

our room was clean, had a nice bay view and housekeeping was prompt - but nothing special or nothing that stood out about my stay. i did notice that even on the 16th floor though we could hear garbage trucks and construction noise from the street which prevented me from sleeping in as late as i wanted hah

here's why the 3-star rating for my stay though:
- first i know parking is at a premium in downtown SD but it is $44 a day to valet at the hotel :( when you're staying a few days, this extra charge adds up really fast. there is a self-park structure across the street for $25 a day but no in/out privileges and thats what we needed :(
- NO free room wi-fi!! i guess unless you're a platinum member then you are not eligible for free wi-fi in your room. the charge is i think $14-ish a day which is pretty ridiculous when most 3-star hotels like Hampton Inns or Best Westerns are offering free wi-fi to everyone that stays with them. you can ask a staff member for the free wi-fi code to get it in the lobby though...
- not the most ideal location for Gaslamp. yes you are walking distance to Horton Plaza but that is still like 3 blocks away. for younger, mobile people that is fine, but there were handicapped and elderly people in our group and they felt that the walk was a bit far for them which is hard b/c there really is nothing to eat/drink/do in the immediate hotel vicinity. heck the hotel restaurant isnt even open for dinner!
- this is in regards to the wedding we attended in the ballroom...but the serving staff for dinner was quite mean and abrasive to our table (and really the only staff we encountered all weekend that was not helpful). i dont know if these are considered westin employees or outside catering hires, but they were not friendly at all and they even refused a guest at our table their dinner entree b/c they did not have their place card visible on the table! they didn't want to refill drinks (i was directed to go to the bar myself) or seem to want to go that extra mile for guests which was pretty disappointing considering the bride and groom probably paid a lot of money for the reception at the hotel

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Kristin_chin- first off, thank you for sharing your detailed feedback! I am thrilled you enjoyed our hotel facilities from the open, airy lobby to expansive bar area, perfect for relaxing and enjoying the game. I will be sure to share your kudos with the staff, especially Kevin. We aim to provide warm, friendly and attentive service to all our guests. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our clean rooms and beautiful bay views. We prize ourselves on extremely high standards of cleanliness and service.
Parking is at a significant premium downtown and we are happy to offer valet parking as a service for our guests. Self-parking is based on availability and pricing can change rapidly. We do offer complimentary wireless internet access in our lobby area. We love our location that is easily walking distance to the Gaslamp Quarter, Little Italy, Horton Plaza and more but just out of the madness. It is tough to hear your feedback regarding the banquet dinner service at the wedding. Our staff relies on placecards during all such events to protect the hosts (and their gourmet cuisine) from any unwanted ‘crashers’ potentially attending. However, I apologize if this wasn’t explained. We always want to make you and yours feel completely welcome and I will sharing this with the team so we can address for the future. We hope to be able to welcome you back soon.
Be Well,
Alyssa Turowski

Been to The Westin San Diego? Share your experiences!