“Westin San Diego” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #55 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Long Beach, California
“Westin San Diego”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Amazing stay, service, and staff! Leon Williams makes you feel welcome the moment you arrive! I have stayed here a few times now for business and Leon always gives impeccable service and goes above & beyond my checkin expectations. Nathan (Lobby lounge) provided extraordinary service as I enjoyed a working dinner in the lounge. Nathan made me feel at home during my business travels. I will be back, for sure! Thank you all for a great SD stay! The service and staff at this property will have my Westin loyalty! I have stayed at many other Starwood hotels in SD, but this property ALWAYS exceeds my expectations compared to others in area. Much better service than the nearby W. The staff is MUCH better!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Recently stayed at the Westin San Diego for three nights - girlfriend and I were in town to watch a Chargers game and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Convenient location as the hotel is located next to the trolley and only a few blocks down from Gaslamp/Little Italy. Complimentary shuttle service provided to and from the San Diego airport so that was a plus, may sure to call in advance! Front Desk provided us with a complimentary upgrade and courtesy 4PM late checkout as a SPG Gold member. For those looking for a convenient hotel in Downtown San Diego, look no further.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this review, 3 days ago
thatdudelouis,

Thank you for your loyalty as a SPG Gold member. We value our SPG guests and I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the property.
We are a great choice for staying in San Diego for a Chargers game. Whether you are here for the football games at Qualcomm or the baseball games at Petco, it is an easy trip to both! We are only 2 blocks from the train and trolley station that has express lines that go to the stadiums and we are walking distance to Petco.

Kind Regards,
Irvine, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

stayed here 3 nights since i was attending a wedding and some events at the hotel. luckily they were running a pretty good rate special so the room was $119 a night...its a nice enough hotel - the lobby has a nice open feel to it with plenty of seating, the hotel bar is cool b/c it has big screen tvs for sports and also a food/drink menu as well as happy hour everyday, and the hotel itself is clean and your typical Westin look haha...we had a large block of rooms at the hotel for the wedding so we were probably a bit much to handle but the hotel staff from the front desk to the bellman to the restaurant to the bartender to the concierge was outstanding! super helpful, accommodating and patient with us! special shout out to the concierge, Kevin for handling our dining requests with ease and thank you for the great restaurant recommendations and setting up our reservations!

our room was clean, had a nice bay view and housekeeping was prompt - but nothing special or nothing that stood out about my stay. i did notice that even on the 16th floor though we could hear garbage trucks and construction noise from the street which prevented me from sleeping in as late as i wanted hah

here's why the 3-star rating for my stay though:
- first i know parking is at a premium in downtown SD but it is $44 a day to valet at the hotel :( when you're staying a few days, this extra charge adds up really fast. there is a self-park structure across the street for $25 a day but no in/out privileges and thats what we needed :(
- NO free room wi-fi!! i guess unless you're a platinum member then you are not eligible for free wi-fi in your room. the charge is i think $14-ish a day which is pretty ridiculous when most 3-star hotels like Hampton Inns or Best Westerns are offering free wi-fi to everyone that stays with them. you can ask a staff member for the free wi-fi code to get it in the lobby though...
- not the most ideal location for Gaslamp. yes you are walking distance to Horton Plaza but that is still like 3 blocks away. for younger, mobile people that is fine, but there were handicapped and elderly people in our group and they felt that the walk was a bit far for them which is hard b/c there really is nothing to eat/drink/do in the immediate hotel vicinity. heck the hotel restaurant isnt even open for dinner!
- this is in regards to the wedding we attended in the ballroom...but the serving staff for dinner was quite mean and abrasive to our table (and really the only staff we encountered all weekend that was not helpful). i dont know if these are considered westin employees or outside catering hires, but they were not friendly at all and they even refused a guest at our table their dinner entree b/c they did not have their place card visible on the table! they didn't want to refill drinks (i was directed to go to the bar myself) or seem to want to go that extra mile for guests which was pretty disappointing considering the bride and groom probably paid a lot of money for the reception at the hotel

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here for less than 48 hours and I wouldn't stay here again. The room was adequate, nothing special -- and that was after we were" upgraded". First we were given a room that was occupied and then a room above a huge construction site happening in the lot right below. We moved again and were "forgiven" the 10 extra dollars for a "water view". That might have been what was behind the building directly in front of our window. Evidently there ARE narrow slivers of water views in this hotel but to advertise and actually charge for one is a real stretch of what is acceptable. Additionally there is a valet charge of $44 a night for parking in a "private" area only to find that the private parking is in the public lot across the street that charges $28 a day. I find that practice to be disingenuous. We mentioned it at the desk checking out at 5:30AM but were still charged $88 to have someone park our car literally across the street in public parking for 40 hours. The room was clean. The shower is good. The pillows and linens were not up to Westin par as we've stayed at many and normally we don't get foam and synthetics. There are a lot of other options nearby in this cute area of town. You're walking distance from the Gaslamp area and Little Italy where there are several good restaurants. Our next visit we'll stay at one of the other nearby hotels.

Room Tip: One side of the hotel has a big construction site. Ask to be on the other side of the hotel which i...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I stayed 3 nights in November for a conference. The location is really good being a short walk to Gaslamp Quarter restaurants and bars, the marina and ferry boat, Little Italy and downtown businesses and shopping. You don't need a rental car as there is plenty to see and do within walking distance. My problem with the hotel was the decor and beds. The hotel lobby is comfortable enough with a bar, and one small restaurant. When you step off the elevator to your floor, however, there were shabby upholstered chairs and a thrift store looking table. Not what you'd expect at a Westin. The room itself was nicely appointed but Westin must have abandoned the "Heavenly Bed" concept. The sheets were like cardboard and the pillows were not the foam ones I requested. Housekeeping was extremely slow each day and failed to restock coffee and sweeteners. Another complaint is the wireless internet was really not good enough, you need to pay for the premium internet to really accomplish anything. Other positives were that our room at a great view of the bay. Also, the staff at the hotel were outstanding. Everyone we met was personable and very helpful.
We would probably stay at another hotel next time in San Diego for better amenities for the price.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better water views.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Lori H,

I am pleased to hear that our staff exceeded you expectations. Each and every one of our staff members is here to make sure that your stay is enjoyable. I am also delighted that you enjoyed our location. We are tucked away closer to the harbor but still only a few minutes’ walk to the busy Gaslamp Quarter. We are also walking distance to Little Italy and Seaport village which offer even more great shops and dining. I apologize that our décor and heavenly sheets were not to your satisfaction. I assure you that this is not a usual comment for our hotel. I would like to invite you back again the next time you are in San Diego and ensure a great stay.

jordanstown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Traveled on a 2 night weekend trip arriving on Friday and departing Sunday. On arrival in San Diego airport I made a call to the hotel and they sent out the courtesy bus to collect me. It was there in less than 15 minutes. I was dropped of at hotel and check in was fast and efficient. Staff member was very pleasant. I was allocated a room on the 8th floor. Room was clean and comfortable and a little bigger than I expected. Dropped my stuff and headed out immediately as I was to meet people at the other Westin nearer the Gas Lamp area. I only booked flights and hotel on the Thursday and there was no availability at the other Westin. It was a 10 minute straight forward walk to the Gaslamp area. (Not relevant to the Hotel but if you are travelling internationally into San Diego get a seat as close to the disembarking door of the plane to get into the immigration queue asap. I was over 2 hours in that queue!!!)

I found the hotel quiet and comfortable with good open areas and the hotel never felt over crowded. Had breakfast only once and I was happy with what I got.

I did not spend a lot of time in the hotel and have no criticisms.

If you have more time to pick a hotel there are others which are closer to the Gas Lamp area.

Enjoy

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the views aver other building s in the area
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
peterjstewart,

We make travelling to San Diego easy. Our complimentary shuttle allows for an easy arrival and our welcoming and friendly staff is there to ensure a relaxing and renewing stay. Our location is centrally located between Little Italy, the harbor, Seaport Village and the Gaslamp Quarter. All of these areas are easily accessible by foot or by public transportation. Great shops and dining are only minutes walking distance! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and your time with us and we hope to invite you back again soon.

Santa Ynez, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I have stayed at other Westin properties in San Diego and this stay was the best by far. The hotel is conveniently located in the downtown area and much of that area can easily be reached in a short walk. The hotel offered wonderful amenities much of what I would expect from Westin, but the service was exemplary. From my greeting at check in to bar service, could not have felt more special. This was a truly memorable stay.

Room Tip: I did receive complimentary wifi...not sure why but loved it. Don't really know if there is a ba...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Rick M,

I am delighted to hear that we could make your trip to San Diego a memorable stay! We know that our service is what separates us from our competition and I am pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations. Our location makes us a great choice for leisure or business travel. Conveniently located only 2 blocks from the train and trolley station and walking distance to the Gaslamp Quarter, Little Italy and the harbor, it is easy to get around to the local attractions. We even have a complimentary airport shuttle to make your arrival even easier. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and we hope to see you in San Diego again soon.

Alyssa Turowski

Been to The Westin San Diego? Share your experiences!