“good value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #54 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Dublin, Ireland
“good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

the building is very impressive. its beautifully designed. and the atrium very impressive. the rooms are small but adequate. the beds are big and very comfortable. the bathrooms are very small indeed with the washbasin in the bedroom! However the overall experience is very good. They also offer $5 vouchers if you waive daily housekeeping! there is a nice pool on the upper floor, with a good view.
the staff are very pleasant and helpful, even waived the charge for e-mail and the icing on the cake is a free shuttle to the Airport.!
the hotel is on Broadway within walking distance of the Gas Lamp area so overall a good place to stay in San Diego.

Room Tip: i suspect that they have rooms of varying size so ask.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Lansing, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

This hotel is in the middle of the downtown section of San Diego. That means it is not on the water, or in the middle of the major sights, but within walking distance of all of that. It is a comfortable and well run hotel. My room was quiet and had everything I needed. It was on a high floor, but faced away from San Diego Bay so I had a nice view of a parking ramp and an office tower. The rooms on the other side of the hall had nice views of the bay, the airport and the harbor area.

The hotel is minutes away from the San Diego airport. I did not eat in the restaurant, but the bar was very nice with good service and good drinks. It is clearly a place where people meet after business meetings. The hotel is easy walking distance to many good restaurants.

Room Tip: Pick a room with middle range numbers. They have the better views.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

While this hotel is everything that you would expect from a Westin physically what really makes this place shines is the staff. I checked in after just having spent three hours on the side of I-5 (at night!) stranded 30 miles north of San Diego by my broken down rental car. It was 10pm at night, I was tired and hungry but Becca, who checked me in was terrific. She was very sweet assured me I could still get something to eat despite the late hour and even bought my dinner since I was having such a rotten day! Her co-worker even gave me a drink coupon to use on another day during my stay.

The day I checked out as I was trying to drive away my second rental car expired! (what are the odds?) Two valets checked to make sure it wasn't just me before I called Avis. They all then took wonderful care of me too. They made sure the car was safe and put a sign on it so the police would know it was out of commision and promised to keep an eye on it since it was just past the valet turn in. One of them brought me a coupon for a beverage while I waited and they told me to go inside to wait for the tow truck and would come get me when it arrived. All of them were very professional and very nice. (I didn't get all of their names but the date was 10/10/14 at 9am so management take note of who was working please.)

The only thorn in this story is the restaurant staff. I went to breakfast at 6:30am my first morning and they were not ready for service so I had to wait and then listen to the manager complain about why - I don't care. The staff was not the same warm and welcoming staff as the rest of the hotel to say the least. I ended up grabing something from the coffee stand my remaining two mornings so I wouldn't have to bother them again.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are quiet
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Charlotte
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The Westin San Diego was amazing. The service was exceptional and the accommodations were comfortable! I experienced nothing but fantastic service. Thank you for a wonderful 4 night stay! I will stay here again when visiting the lovely city of San Diego.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a room overlooking the Bay and it's worth the extra upgrade fee. The room was big...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this review, 5 days ago
M D,

I am delighted that we could exceed your expectations at the Westin San Diego! We know that service is what sets us apart from the rest and I am pleased to hear that we succeed in making a memorable stay. I look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in San Diego!

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I recently spent 4 nights over a weekend at the recommendation of a former San Diegan. The price was fair compared to many other hotels in the Downtown region. The hotel feels grand with its enormous lobby and bar area having a recently refurbished and very nice feel about it. I was asked if I would like the room upgrade for $20 a night, which I accepted and glad I did. To see the sun glistening off the water and watch the little boats zoom by was quite relaxing after a week in the Desert of Las Vegas. The first surprise is the glass elevator which gives you a glimpse of the hotel bar before shooting you through the roof and up to the higher floors. The rooms are very clean and certainly have the biggest most high definition TV I have ever seen in a hotel room (50 inches!). A quick dip down in the pool which had full afternoon sun was just the ticket to relax and begin my vacation in San Diego. Next stop was the hotel bar, which I had my first evening drink in each day, served by the ever so lovely, smiling and welcoming lady each night. The bar is something to behold. You could sit there all day as the sun comes shining through the glass ceiling at least 5 stories above. There was always quite a nice buzz in there as guests mingled, laughed or watched the baseball on one of the four TV’s.
The location is great, being about a five minute walk to Westfields and ten minutes to the bars and restaurants of the Gas Light District, which frankly I was glad I wasn't staying right in the thick of it, as of a Friday night it is absolutely heaving with people.
The rooms were quiet and the bed was difficult to get out of most mornings, being so comfy. Overall I definitely enjoyed my stay here and will certainly stay here on my next visit to San Diego.

Room Tip: Pay the extra $20 and get a room with a water view.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
iwaswayoff,

Our lobby bar is one of the best around. Our high glass ceilings and newly renovated space offers a relaxing and beautiful area to enjoy food and drinks. We offer monthly daily and happy hour specials. Our menu is specially tailored to appeal every palette with our Superfood and California fusion options! I am delighted that you enjoyed it!
Our location is central to all of San Diego’s local attractions. We are just minutes walking distance to the harbor, Little Italy, the Gaslamp Quarter and many shops and dining. We even have a complimentary airport shuttle to make your arrival easy. I hope that you and your family can join us again soon!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is a very nice property - conveniently located right downtown, nice rooms, clean spacious, friendly/professional/courteous staff. The Lobby Bar had a good selection of draft beers, and they were able to handle to sudden influx of patrons well. We were there for a conference for which we utilized the catering service - the food (breakfast and lunch) were well prepared, fresh, and tasty - and they accommodated a wide variety of tastes from meat eaters to vegetarians. The fitness center was large, spacious, with multiple cardio machines, and clean. I would recommend for future trips.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Purl2014,

Did you know we have one of the best selections of local craft beers in the area? We are proud to carry many of San Diego’s microbrews in our lobby bar! We even have monthly, daily and happy hour specials. I am pleased you enjoyed the variety of our menu. We carefully chose options that appeal to all palates and tastes. We even have SuperFood options to help our guests stay healthy while they travel. Thank you for your review and we hope to see you back in San Diego soon!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We had a very good stay in this hotel: the location was very central, close to some excellent restaurants and bars. The room was very spacious, good views and the staff very helpfull.
Would stay there again!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Claire d,

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Westin San Diego. Our upgraded bay view rooms have some of the best views in San Diego. Our hotel has views of Tijuana Mexico, the bay, Coronado, North Island and the military base, the airport and also many city views. Our central location makes it easy to get around to all of the local attractions. We are proud of the beautiful surroundings and know it helps our guests leave feeling better than when they arrived.

Be Well,
Alyssa Turowski

Been to The Westin San Diego? Share your experiences!