“The "Mod" Spot in San Diego” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #55 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Winters, California
“The "Mod" Spot in San Diego”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I had the opportunity to stay at this hotel recently while attending a conference. Upon entering the lobby the feel that came over me was cool... Not like in the Fonzie sense, more like impersonal, modern, cool - in other words it didn't have that warm and inviting feel that I look forward to in hotels that I'll be staying in for several days. The staff was polite and professional, although there was a problem with my bill upon checking out. The guest room was well appointed. The only missing item I would mention is the standard Gideon Bible that is usually in the nightstand of every hotel in this country. Not that I always read it, it's simply nice to know its there... It gives me a sense of tradition and a warm feel just knowing it's there. This is the second Westin I've visited that didn't have one; I wonder if this is the new standard? In any case, if you like a modern feel this is probably a great choice for your stay, on the other hand, if you're more of a traditionalist you would likely prefer a different property.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Tedandmy-I am glad you had a chance to stay with us for your conference. We recently refreshed our entire design including the guestrooms, pool, Westin Workout fitness studio, restaurant and lobby area. We are still putting the final touches on our space to ensure it has that warm, inviting feel our guests enjoy. Also, we happily provide the Bible to all guests as an on-request item. We hope you join us again on your next stay in San Diego!
Alyssa Turowski

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

My partner and I wanted to get away for the weekend so we choose San Diego and the downtown Westin. We have not stayed at his location before so I read the reviews on TA and made my reservations. We check in on Friday May 23rd at about 7:00 PM and was greeted by Yasmin and she started checking us in. She was very friendly and welcoming, and over all nice lady. While we were chatting with Yasmin we were fortunate enough to also meet Donald, Front Office Supervisor. I asked him about some dinner recommendations for this evening. He immediately offered several suggestions and once we decided he phoned the restaurant and made us a reservation on the spot. He also stated that if our plans changed to let him know and he would call them back and reschedule. He was very personable and his energy was addicting, we were both smiling and was very happy we made this hotel ours for the weekend.

Through out the weekend Donald kept in touch with us to make sure we were having a good time and if he or the hotel could do anything to make our stay more enjoyable. It was great knowing we have a person that was happy we were at his hotel and truly wanted us to feel welcome.

Donald is truly an asset to the Westin Downtown San Diego hotel!

Now about the room....was great and very relaxing. Who does not like the Westin bed? I was a little shocked to find a rain shower head instead of the signature dual headed shower that westin is known for. But we really loved the rain shower as well. Housekeeping did not show up on the first day but we were restocked with towels and Donald contacted housekeeping on our behalf and it was all taken care of the next day.

We used Uber to get around San Diego this trip even though we had a rental car. The valet charge can sting, you pay a premium for parking here so maybe if you don't really need a car you can also use the Uber service...it's really great.

So thanks again to Donald and his team members for a great stay...we did not want to leave.

Room Tip: We did a high floor, there were no bay views from our room but the view was nice. AC was great as w...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Ndalsteve –

I am happy to ready that Donald and Yasmin could leave a great impression with you during your stay with us. Both Donald and Yasmin are true assets to our team and I appreciate you taking the time to recognize our associates.
Our beds are amazing and the best in the hotel industry. The famous Heavenly Bed provides the best nights rest possible, leaving your rested and feeling better than when you arrived. You can purchase the exact same bed for your home through the Westin at Home online store, also, at Nordstrom’s or Pottery Barn. It is the best sleep experience there is and I am happy we were able to create that memory for you. I am pleased to also hear you enjoyed our new drench showerhead. I hope the new Westin rain shower left you feeling better than when you arrived. It is a true spa-like experience, especially when you utilize the white tea bath products.
Thank you again for reviewing your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Davis, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Three of us stayed at the Westin for five nights in May. We had two connecting rooms on the 7th floor. We were at the Westin for a work conference for one person in our group - the other two just enjoyed San Diego.

Getting there: The hotel offers a free shuttle to and from the airport. After picking up my bags, I called the number provided and was given instructions on where to go wait for the shuttle. It was a short ride to the hotel.

Check in: Check in was pretty quick - once I figured out where to go. They don't have a front desk or prominently displayed signs so I had to orient myself before realizing I just needed to go straight to the check in area. I got to the hotel by 1:00 pm and only one of the rooms was ready - not a problem since the other two were on a different flight and wouldn't be arriving until after 3:00 pm. I was able to go up to my room right away.

Room: The room itself was a good size if oddly shaped. There was a mini fridge but no microwave. The fridge was great for keeping beverages and snacks cool. TV was good but channel selection not so much. The bathroom was quite spacious as this was a wheel chair accessible room (we didn't need that but it was not a problem at all and actually made the bathroom and entry way at least double the size of the ones in our connecting room). We were able to see the pool on the third floor from the window.

Bed: There were two in the room and I only used one but it was so comfortable. And, there were almost too many pillows - almost. I don't normally get a good night's sleep in hotels until at least after the 2nd night but I was able to sleep comfortably the first night. Also great were the black out curtains. Since I didn't have a conference to attend, it was nice to sleep in as late as possible.

All our interactions with the staff were pleasant. We participated a couple of the nights in their 'green' program where if you hang out a little sign on your door knob by a certain time, housekeeping will skip your room and slip a $5 restaurant/bar voucher under your door. This does mean you don't get fresh towels or your bed made each day but it does allow you to stay in your pajamas all day and not have to worry about being interrupted by housekeeping. Good program.

Did not use the fitness center. But, it looked very spacious and clean. Did enjoy the lap pool at night - it is nice that they don't close it until 10:00 pm.

One thing that I did not like about the hotel was there was no free wifi in the rooms. I believe you can get free wifi down in the lobby but it is very convenient to have it in the room. It was about $15 for 24 hours or $6 for one hour. We did not have a rental car but I believe the hotel charges for parking.

The hotel was in a good location - we never took a taxi from the hotel although there were a couple of times that we came back in a taxi. Easy walk to Little Italy, Gas Lamp District, etc..

I would definitely return to the San Diego Westin.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Drusilly-
Thank you for your detailed review of your stay at the Westin San Diego. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our Westin Heavenly Beds. Our bed is the best in the business and guarantees a superior slumber with every stay. Our signature heavenly bed is made with 5 heavenly sheets and 5 pillows, including 2 signature down pillows for every bed. You can even take our bed home with you exclusively through our Westin at Home online store, Nordstrom and Pottery Barn.
I am pleased you enjoyed our Make a Green Choice program and our staff. I look forward to welcoming you back to San Diego again soon.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

I just finished a 3-day business meeting at this Westin and had an outstanding experience. Everything with this hotel was warm, attentive and comfortable from the manager of the registration desk to Ron Romero, our banquet associate. Ron was especially kind and attentive to our every need and ensured we were comfortable during our meeting every day throughout the day. I would love to attend a meeting at this hotel again and would highly recommend it to all.

Simone W –

It is always great to hear about our associates helping make memorable experiences at the Westin San Diego. I know that Ron takes pride in making sure our guests have everything they need and I appreciate your recognition. We are a great venue for meetings and conferences as well as leisure travel and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon in San Diego.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was fantastic, clean, modern, relaxing, the bed and pillows were to die for, talk about comfort.... Would definitely stay here again and highly recommend to all visiting San Diego.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
AUSx2 -

The Westin Heavenly Bed is the best bed in the hotel industry. Did you know you can purchase the exact same bed for your home through the Westin at Home online store, as well as, at Nordstrom's and Pottery Barn?
I am glad you enjoyed the Westin experience and hope you will come back and stay with us again.

Westin San Diego
Sacramento
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The staff was very helpful and friendly and the amenities were top notch. Room was comfortable and bed and sheets were great. Housekeeping and room service both did an excellent job and were very efficient No surrounding noise and close to all attractions. My wife played golf at Coronado, the concierge's favorite course, and had a blast. The bartender, Melissa, was very helpful and provided outstanding service with food or just a glass of wine. The workout clothing was a nice touch as well as the daily paper. An excellent experience.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for an oceanview room. We enjoyed watching the sunrise and seeing the activity on th...
skibum1 -

Coronado is one of my favorite places as well and you can’t go wrong with the public golf course. The surroundings are beautiful and it is truly a southern California experience you don't want to miss. Thank you for recognizing our concierge team and Melissa, one of our fabulous bartenders. I am pleased that our associates and the overall quality of the hotel left you with a lasting positive impression.
The Westin Gear Lending program is a perfect way to stay fit while traveling, without having to pack all your workout gear and an additional pair of shoes. For $5 or 375 SPG points, you can workout in New Balance gear that is comfortable and fit to your needs.

We look forward to welcoming you back and again appreciate you sharing your feedback with Trip Advisor.

Remain Well,
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

I spent a few days at this hotel the staff was fantastic Ray the bellman was very helpful when I checked in/out. I would say the valet service is pretty expensive and not included with the room, so if you don't plan on using a car don't valet it, one of the valet that helped me, suggested alternative to parking in the garage, so thank you to Gio for saving me 40 dollar one night, and when I did valet it he was friendly and knowledgeable about the area. Thank you to all the staff for all the help I will return soon.

• Stayed May 2014
Alyssa T, General Manager at The Westin San Diego, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
venhoven123 -

Our valet team does a great job and always ensures you have options, as parking can be a challenge in a large downtown city. Our rates are competitive with similar properties but our service is what separates us from the rest. Thank you for recognizing that and the effort of Gio.
Ray is also a great asset to our welcoming and helpful team and I appreciate you taking the time to recognize him for his assistance at checkin/out. I will be sure both associates are recognized and will share your feedback with them and their teams.

We look forward to having you return soon.

Alyssa Turowski

Been to The Westin San Diego? Share your experiences!