“Great Hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #146 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
Columbus, OH
“Great Hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2005

After researching a lot of hotels in San Diego, we finally picked the Surfer Beach Hotel for many reasons. First, it was right on the beach, being from Ohio, we do not see the beach much so since we were staying in San Diego, why not stay on the beach. Second, the price, this was well worth the price and I would have even paid more for what we had. The room was clean and very comfortable and looked right over the beach. The sunset we had was amazing. Last, but not least, the convenient location. We went just about everywhere in San Diego in less than 30 minutes (depending on traffic). We would definitely stay here again and will request it to all of our friends. It was the nicest hotel we have stayed in for the money.

• Stayed March 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2005

Stayed at the Surfer November 2004 and couldn't pick a more perfect time to be there. Had a room on the fourth floor, beach was literally a stone's throw away. Staff was very friendly. Beach was practically deserted due to the time of year yet the weather was great. I would highly suggest visiting in late October and early November as the rates are much lower and the beach is yours. Rooms were clean and nicely decorated. There are quite a few restaurants within walking distance. I always travel by bus when vacationing and was happy to find a bus stop practically at the doorstep. The bus will take you to the Old Town transit where you can catch a bus practically anywhere in San Diego. I am a female solo traveler and would highly recommend this hotel and location for the optimum San Diego expeience. I felt pretty safe and more than a little spoiled by the view of the ocean from my room. Most of the rooms at the Surfer offer a spectacular view. I know the summer rates there are off the charts, but I had no complaints about my November experience.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2005

Our last stay was February 2005, and is an update from our previous review dated March 26, 2004.
We again had a room on the 4th. floor with excellent unhindered views.
Since our last visit the 4th. floor rooms had been renovated, it has a nice modern look with some quirks though;
- 2 televsions in one room, who needs this ?
- frig, coffeee-maker and microwave, but no table and chairs to sit on !
- no built-in hairdryer .

The 4th. floor was not that busy during our stay, but I can imagine that
not having dividers on the balconey betweens the rooms would be a problem.

Having said this, it is still an excellent location, clean and has a very friendly reception, at least the day-time staff.

Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2005

Stayed here in august 2004 while touring west coast. Nice location. Was listed as a motel in the lonely planet guide, had been "upgraded" to hotel standards when we booked it - NOT! On arrival the staff were very laid back - so laid back the receptionist was having a cigarette outside! We were told our room had a sea view, however I think the customers at the World Famous restaurant had a better view of us. The room itself was fine, the bedlinen was v nice. there was no a/c just a fan. I had to ask for a hairdryer at reception as there was none in the room. I was asked to bring it back in case other guests needed to use it! We stayed during peak season and at $175 per night we found it to be seriously overpriced - I'd still class it as motel standard accommodation. A "hotel" only in name.

• Stayed August 2004
Regina, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2005

We stayed at the Surfer recently and were not impressed. My husband and I are pretty laid back people so we're not that hard to please. We chose this hotel because of the reviews on this site. Initially we had a room on the fourth floor with a nice view. One big problem is with the balconies...there is no divider between the rooms so it's like one big open deck with no privacy. We had many people walking past our sliding door because they wanted to see the view at the end. If you want any light in the room in the daytime you need to have the curtain open, so people were able to peer in as they walked by. Also, there is no air conditioning so it gets fairly hot in the rooms. At night we would open our door to get some air in and leave the screen door closed. Well one night around midnight we were watching tv in bed and I heard our screen door open (it had no lock) as a big hairy arm reached into our room to push the curtain aside. I screamed and my husband jumped up to see who was coming into our room. A man was walking along the balconies and must have "misplaced" his room and muttered "oops, wrong room". Nice consolation for having my heart jump out of my chest! The rooms themselves are quite nice and the beds are comfortable. Although we had a king suite, it isn't all that large, and the bathrooms have absolutely no counter space. There were hairs on almost all our towels, but everything else seemed clean enough....that is until we noticed some kind of bedbugs in our room. We asked to be moved immediately, so with no apology and rude staff, we ended up with a room on the second floor (with barely any view) because the hotel was busy. The next morning we were awoken at 7am sharp with the sound of jackhammers underneath us. They were renovating the first floor...this went on every morning for the rest of our trip. All we were looking for was an apology, but the staff was ignorant and nobody addressed any of our concerns. Needless to say, we won't be staying there again.

Been to Surfer Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!