“Great value, good location and very good staff” 5 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   606 Washington St., San Diego, CA 92103   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #24 of 270 hotels in San Diego
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great value, good location and very good staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I was in San Diego for a week of work. I chose the Sommerset Suites for the location and value (price). When first checking in there had been a glitch with my reservation. The staff did all they could to solve the problem. They treated me very well. The hotel is not glamorous, but was the perfect place for me. I slept well, was able to work and relax in the great Hillcrest neighborhood and easily get to downtown San Diego (15 min bus ride). Running in Balboa Park, the Balboa Park museums and the mix of restaurants, bars and cafes in the neighborhood completed the picture. Even did laundry at the hotel for my next week of work. So relaxed. Many thanks to the staff of the Sommerset Suites - it was perfect!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
viridiana z, Front Office Manager at Sommerset Suites Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear SawtoothinAmsterdam,

I appreciate you sharing your positive experience with us and we are grateful for the recognition you placed on our staff and quality accommodations. Please contact us when your travels brings you back to San Diego.

Yours in Hospitality,
Viridiana Zapata

472 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Located at the Washington exit of the 163 freeway, this hotel is easy to get to and and a great launching pad to explore Hillcrest and Balboa Park. The rest of San Diego is just a few minutes away. The rooms are clean, the staff is very attentive, and the included breakfast has just the right assortment of comfort and nutricious selections. Lots of restaurants, shops, and a 24-Hour Fitness gym nearby. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Aron G, General Manager at Sommerset Suites Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Inla2000,

On behalf of the entire Team at the Sommerset Suites Hotel, We thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience on our suites, hotel cleanliness and our location. We look forward to seeing you back in the near future!

Aron Gokhan Gunver
Venice, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed at the Sommerset Suites Hotel during a recent convention in San Diego. The front desk staff, especially Ian and Bonita were extremely helpful and friendly. The hotel is just the right size to be comfortable and personal. The breakfast was perfect and fresh. The pool area was very well kept and was spotlessly clean and beautifully landscaped. The staff could not have done any more for us. I would stay there again and would bring my family back for an extended visit.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Aron G, Manager at Sommerset Suites Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear Dale R,

Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge our guest service team members. They are valued associates and we will be sure to pass along your praise. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you and your family back very soon!

Regards
Aron G. Gunver
Swartz Creek
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Let me start by saying I am a very light sleeper and I had zero issues with ambulance noise at this hotel and our room faced the hospital. I loved that each bed had 6 pillows (we stayed in a 1 bedroom suite with 2 beds). Our ten year loved the pool and hottub. Breakfast was nice but crowded....the way it is laid out the waffle machines are in the corner so everyone hovers in front of it blocking the other food. Parking was easy and cheap. Take note that the doors to the rooms are technically exterior facing the pool area but you have to use a room key to get access to the building to get up to those exterior corridors (except on the occasions when another guest left the entry door open). We had stayed at a much more expensive boutique hotel downtown earlier in the week and had decided to move closer to the airport to a place we hoped was more family friendly and this sure was! Right near Project Pie which has the best pizza ever.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Aron G, General Manager at Sommerset Suites Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear Dianeandtwo ,

Thank you for your exceptional review about our property, amenities and location. We are pleased to know that we were part of your memorable experience! It was a great pleasure having you and your family staying with us. We hope to be of service in the future.

Thank you.

Aron G Gunver

El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed at the Sommerset for 5 nights after a trip to Disneyland. My husband (the picky one of the family) preferred our 2 room suite there to our room at the Disneyland Hotel! The suite was roomy and clean, the full kitchen was just what we were looking for, and the beds were very comfortable--finally, a hotel with great pillows! Breakfast was very good, and the staff was very helpful and friendly. Sadly, we were out of the hotel for the Friday evening BBQ.

We did quite a bit of longer distance driving while in the area, and appreciated the easy access to the highway system. The hotel is also located in easy walking distance of a multitude of restaurants, Wells Fargo, a pharmacy, and grocery store. That was good, because the only real drawback to the hotel is the parking--we drive a full-size pickup truck, and parking was very tight--being able to avoid driving for short errands was nice. While we could hear occasional sirens, they weren't a big deal--we certainly didn't notice them when we wanted to sleep.

Our original booking was for 4 nights, and when we decided to stay an extra night the front desk staff was able to accommodate us in the same room with no problems. All in all, we had a wonderful experience at the Sommerset and plan to stay there again the next time we are in the San Diego area.

Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed here with my wife and 2 girls (6 & 8). Both my wife and I have backgrounds in the hospitality industry. We stayed mainly to go to the Zoo and the beach. The staff was very friendly and spoke to us every time we passed by the front desk. My girls loved the flavored waters offered in the lobby daily.

The breakfast was good with a selection of fruit, yogurt, bagels, muffins and waffles. Would have loved to have seen a hot item or two (hey..this is a free breakfast so I know I am being picky). The tables in the breakfast area are really sticky, not dirty just sticky. I think they need to be refinished or replaced.

The room was spacious and it was great to be able to come back from a long day and put the girls to bed in the bedroom and have the living room to enjoy TV before bed. The carpet was frayed in areas, showing wear and needs a good extraction (we noticed our feet were very dirty when getting in the shower and our socks were really dirty.)

The pool area was clean and well maintained. The girls had lots of fun playing in it.

The laundry area was nice and well maintained. All of the washers and dryers appeared to be in working order.

The Zoo was a 5 minute or so drive. We also went to Coronado beach which was about a 20 minute ride. The proximity is close to many restaurants and shopping areas.

Overall:

Pros

Great location
Very friendly staff
Good Breakfast
Wifi

Cons

Carpets need a little TLC
Breakfast tables are sticky (not that they are dirty I think it has to do with the finish.)

Room Tip: This hotel is located between 2 hospitals and the walls are kind of thin. I think you'll end up...
North Hollywood
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel one night with my family. We visited San Diego to take the kids to the zoo and the location was perfect. It was about 2 miles from the zoo.The staff was friendly at the hotel and they were also friendly when I had called to reserve my room. The hotel itself is better than pictured. When we went to our room all I expected when I walked in was to find two beds and a bathroom but it was like a mini apartment. It had a full kitchen with a living room, a balcony with a table and chairs, a nice sized bedroom with two beds. The beds were a little stiff and the bedding was thin. The bathroom was a little small but it was no big deal. It had two closets and two flat screen TVs one in the living room and one in the bedroom. Our room was also clean. It definitely more than met my expectations.

The next morning we went to the breakfast room where continental breakfast was served. There were many options such as bagels, yogurt, muffins, fruit and much more. A friendly staff member made fresh waffles for my daughter out of the waffle maker. Checking out was easy and fast. The hotel is surrounded by many unique shops and restaurants. I would definitely stay here again. It also comes with a pool and jacuzzi.

There were two cons. The first is that the parking spaces are small. We drive an SUV, so we were kinda afraid of getting squished in by another car. The second is that, yes it is pretty noisy outside. You can hear the traffic flowing by and many ambulances passing by. But I live in L.A. so I'm pretty used to hearing this anyways.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Aron G, General Manager at Sommerset Suites Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear TrekAgile,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We greatly appreciate your wonderful and detailed comments on our suites, hotel cleanliness and our location. We are happy to know that your overall stay with us was memorable! Please feel free to contact me or any of our guest service team members regarding any requests or preferences for your next stay, as we hope to make it just as memorable!

We look forward to serving you again.
Thank you!
Aron Gokhan Gunver

Been to Sommerset Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!