“A Nice Place to Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 271 Hotels in San Diego
North Hollywood
“A Nice Place to Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel one night with my family. We visited San Diego to take the kids to the zoo and the location was perfect. It was about 2 miles from the zoo.The staff was friendly at the hotel and they were also friendly when I had called to reserve my room. The hotel itself is better than pictured. When we went to our room all I expected when I walked in was to find two beds and a bathroom but it was like a mini apartment. It had a full kitchen with a living room, a balcony with a table and chairs, a nice sized bedroom with two beds. The beds were a little stiff and the bedding was thin. The bathroom was a little small but it was no big deal. It had two closets and two flat screen TVs one in the living room and one in the bedroom. Our room was also clean. It definitely more than met my expectations.

The next morning we went to the breakfast room where continental breakfast was served. There were many options such as bagels, yogurt, muffins, fruit and much more. A friendly staff member made fresh waffles for my daughter out of the waffle maker. Checking out was easy and fast. The hotel is surrounded by many unique shops and restaurants. I would definitely stay here again. It also comes with a pool and jacuzzi.

There were two cons. The first is that the parking spaces are small. We drive an SUV, so we were kinda afraid of getting squished in by another car. The second is that, yes it is pretty noisy outside. You can hear the traffic flowing by and many ambulances passing by. But I live in L.A. so I'm pretty used to hearing this anyways.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Aron G, General Manager at Sommerset Suites Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear TrekAgile,
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We greatly appreciate your wonderful and detailed comments on our suites, hotel cleanliness and our location. We are happy to know that your overall stay with us was memorable! Please feel free to contact me or any of our guest service team members regarding any requests or preferences for your next stay, as we hope to make it just as memorable!

We look forward to serving you again.
Thank you!
Aron Gokhan Gunver

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
San Marcos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed here due to the close proximity to the start line of the Rock and Roll Half Marathon 2013. Very surprised when we were invited on Friday evening to share in a barbecue on the patio area. It was a great experience and the food was pretty good. In addition, the rooms were nice and good size. I was surprised at the size of the kitchen area. Would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Pamik45,

Thank you for staying as our first time guest! We are very glad to hear that you have enjoyed our complimentary pool side BBQ party during your stay! We also greatly appreciate your wonderful comments on our suites and superb location.

We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the near future.

Cathedral City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I booked for 2 nights and had to stay 1 night extra, staff was extemely accomodating. Room was clean and comfortable. Continental breakfast was very good, with helathy options. Friday night happy hour and barbeque was a fun, and met a few nice people that night. Hotel is in the exciting gay Hillcrest area, within walking distance to good shops, restaurants and bars. Will difinitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We had a corner suite with 2 beds, on the first floor, was good location, quiet, close to elevator...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jack L,

We are very excited to hear that you have enjoyed our complimentary pool side BBQ party during your stay and thank you for such a wonderful review! Our location is as close to perfect as it gets here in wonderful Hillcrest area. On behalf of the entire team I would like to thank you for staying with us!

We look forward to your next stay as our guest.

Thank you!

Liberty, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

The pictures do not do the Hotel justice. It was very a very nice place, the rooms were large, and quiet, the staff was very polite, and accommodating. If, and when I travel to this area again, I will stay at Sommerset. I read other reviews before taking the plunge of staying here, I was leery due to people complaining about noise (sirens.) I heard very few, and while I was sleeping I heard none. (I was at the very front directly across from the hospital) The other people who traveled with me decided to stay a few miles away, and homeless people were everywhere. I only came across one a few blocks from our hotel at CVS. Sommerset seems very secure, I felt safe bringing my little cousin there with me.
Overall I believe Sommerset is an EXCELLENT choice, and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

What a great surprise! Hillcrest area with plenty of good restaurants. Room was clean, big and comfortable. They provided us with a playpen to use as a crib for my two years old son. Staff was great and the free continental breakfast was superb. All these at an unbeatable price. Parking $9 per night is a steal! We will go back sooooon!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Check-in was quick and easy and the man at the desk was welcoming and friendly and provided us a map on how to get to our room which was very useful as the hotel is very big. I requested a quiet room and although I was issued a room overlooking the busy main road... as I was on the third floor the traffic noise wasn't too bad. The room was clean and tidy with useful kitchen facilities including a dishwasher!

The front desk were happy to order taxis for us for when we needed to venture out and although we were only meant to stay for one night, we ended up booking another night due to circumstances and were more than happy to stay another night here. When we went to the front desk to request another night we were able to stay in the same room and although the lady at the desk (Bonita) was not as warm as the gentleman the day before, she was still professional.

Would recommend this place for the facilities and central location to Hillcrest and North Park and close to the bus stops.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on the third floor around the back facing a car park.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from yet another stay at Sommerset Suites. Our view is that for lodging in the areas of Kensington, University Heights, Hill Crest, North Park or Talmadge, you just can't top the value of this extremely well-run hotel -- and believe us, we have searched. At least three features of the Sommerset set it apart from generic motels. (1) location near a wide selection of restaurants, (2) spacious suites, and (3) welcoming staff. We should add that they are always on the lookout for yet additional amenities to make a prolonged stay memorable. The hotel is immediately off the arterial 163, which is helpful if you are unfamiliar with San Diego's transit system.

Room Tip: Rooms are virtually identical, but pool-side and toward the back are preferable.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sommerset Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!